AVS Forum banner

new to this,can you reccomend me a good outdoor antenna?

1141 Views 13 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  keldarironfist
i ordered the samsung h260f set top box tuner,which will be here in a week,i want a good outdoor antenna,so fill me in
you guys are the best with this stuff,thanks. preferably amplified as well.
See less See more
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
How about you fill us in about your zip code, terrain around the house, which stations you want to get, approximate distance to the stations, are any of your digital stations on VHF? Your zip code can give us some of this info.
[I see some people slipped in ahead of me while I was looking up the links for this posting, but what the hey...]

It's kind of hard to give specific advice since you didn't provide any specific information about your situation, so I'll just refer you for starters to:

Sticky: OVER-THE-AIR DIGITAL TELEVISION RECEPTION FAQ: New to OTA? Start here!

which has some general antenna-related information. Also, you should investigate the thread for your local area in the "Local HDTV Info & Reception Forum" here. You may be able to find out if there are any special conditions in your area that influence antenna selection.

Index to local area threads
sure thing
im on a hill and lie in a heavy tree dense area but becuz im on a hill they are not a huge issue,i want a very nice high quality antenna the type that dont mess around
probably amplified as well. here are my antennaweb results:

Antenna

Type Call Sign Channel Network City State Live

Date Compass

Orientation Miles

From Frequency

Assignment

* yellow - uhf WFSB-DT 3.1 CBS HARTFORD CT 326° 2.4 33

* yellow - uhf WEDH-DT 45 PBS HARTFORD CT 237° 4.5 45

* yellow - uhf WUVN-DT 18.1 UNI HARTFORD CT 331° 2.2 46

* yellow - vhf WWLP-DT 22.1 NBC SPRINGFIELD MA 22° 23.2 11

* lt green - uhf WGGB-DT 40.1 ABC SPRINGFIELD MA 24° 34.4 55

* red - uhf WTIC-DT 31.1 FOX HARTFORD CT 237° 4.5 31

* red - uhf WVIT-DT 30.1 NBC NEW BRITAIN CT 235° 4.7 35

* red - uhf WGBY-DT 57.1 PBS SPRINGFIELD MA 24° 34.4 58

* red - vhf WTXX-DT 20.1 CW WATERBURY CT 237° 4.5 12
See less See more
You don't need an amplifier for those under 5 mile stations.
no amplifier needed - will overdrive your ATSC receiver

antenna: Winegard HD7078P
http://www.warrenelectronics.com/ant...negard_ant.htm

rotor: Channel Master 9521
http://www.warrenelectronics.com/antennas/9521A.htm

nice publication from Channel Master on installing an antenna
http://www.channelmaster.com/pdf/AntInstallGuide.pdf

mast, mounting hardware, guy wire, RG6 coax, etc. available from Radio Shack, Lowes, or Home Depot.

Channel Master and Winegard antennas are available from many internet sources, maybe locally, but ask about shipping on large UHF/VHF antennas - due to their length, shipping can be expensive. The smaller size antenna you need should not be a problem
See less See more
You're close enough to the Hartford stations that you should have no trouble picking them up even if the antenna is aimed towards the Springfield stations. So don't bother with a rotator unless you can't find a "sweet spot" for aiming the antenna to get all the stations at once.
First, skip the amplifier. Your antennaweb results place you approx 2.4 miles from the WFSB-DT CBS 3 station in Hartford which is digitally broadcasting at 1000 KW on UHF 33. You could probably get that station with a piece of wire connected to the antenna input.

Two of the stations on your list (which may not show all the digital stations that you will get with a rooftop antenna) are digitally broadcasting on upper VHF. WTXX-DT CW 20 in Waterbury, currently broadcasting on VHF 12 will switch back to it's analog channel 20 after the analog shutdown in February, 2009. However, WWLP-DT NBC 22 in Springfield will stay at VHF 11 in 2009. So you do have a need to get upper VHF stations.

You have a wide spread in azimuth for your stations as well as in range. But the Hartford stations are so close, as jtbell posted, you should receive them with the antenna aimed at Springfield. Normally I would recommend the Channel Master 4221 4 Bay UHF antenna with stations spread all around you in azimuth, except that the WWLP-DT NBC station in Springfield broadcasting on VHF 11 has a licensed power level of 10 KW which is not very high power for upper VHF. To get that station and the other UHF stations, you need a medium range VHF/UHF antenna with a broad pickup pattern, NOT a long range directional antenna with a narrow beam. The Winegard HD 7078P is a good suggestion for your situation, although I don't know if it is the optimum one.
See less See more
I am new to HD tv also. My new plasma is supposed to arrive next week. I am 40 to 45 miles at 136 degree to 146 degrees from the New Orleans stations with about half the distance over Lake Pontchatrain and 47 to 51 miles at 258 degree to 261 degrees from the Baton Rouge stations with most of the distance over pine treees and flat land. One station each town has a HD station brodacsting a VHS signal (11 in NO and 13 in BR). Will this affect reception on a UHF antenna. Any recommendations for antennas and preamps will be appreciated very much. Do I need one to point a each city or will one suffice with or with out a rotor?

Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhmcg /forum/post/0

I am new to HD tv also. My new plasma is supposed to arrive next week. I am 40 to 45 miles at 136 degree to 146 degrees from the New Orleans stations with about half the distance over Lake Pontchatrain and 47 to 51 miles at 258 degree to 261 degrees from the Baton Rouge stations with most of the distance over pine treees and flat land. Any recommendations for antennas and preamps will be appreciated very much. Do I need one to point a each city or will one suffice with or with out a rotor?

Dan

Just give us your zip code....
70454, the distances and angles in my post came from antennaweb.

Dan
wow thanks for all the great information guys,its greatly appreciated. yea i figured i would get the locals pretty easy but it is good to know i can have it pointed to springfield and still get my hartford channels. i had assumed because of the widespread azimuth that i may have needed a multidirectional or something like the winegard squareshooter the ss 2000.

i was told that i wouldn't need an amplified antenna as well by my friend,now just to find a good model,i dont want to have to go crazy wit a transformer and rotator
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.