AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to setup a HTPC. Right now I have a Toshiba 46LX177 46″ 1080p TV. I have a pc that should have enough power to be a HTPC. What I need help with is getting started on what software to run. Right now the only thing I plan on doing is watching DVD's. I'm not looking into having a TV tuner and recording shows. (Unless a TV tuner is required) What software is everyone using for DVD playback? I've seen screens shots of different peoples machines that show all the DVD covers and what looks like a nice menu for choosing the movie to play. Is it possible to have all the movies on a NAS type box? I'm not against running Linux. I really just want an easy to use menu for the wife and kid that looks good.

The machine I plan on using is a Intel E6600, Evga 680i, Evga 8800 GTS 640MB, and 2GB DDR2 800 RAM.

Thanks for any info and help.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Try Windows Vista Media Center Edition. It will handle your DVD and CD collection. You can also add the free MyMovies2 software to help you add nice cover art for the DVDs.

·
Registered
7,056 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryBumkin /forum/post/14293720

Try Windows Vista Media Center Edition. It will handle your DVD and CD collection. You can also add the free MyMovies2 software to help you add nice cover art for the DVDs.

deffinetly the lowest configuration easiest thing to get going.

·
Registered
214 Posts
What they said.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One more question. Will Vista play the files stored on a NAS, or will they need to be on the PC Vista is on. I have 1000Gb Router and Cables.

Thanks again for the info.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Shared folders work great with Media Center.

·
Registered
967 Posts
This is essentially what I use my HTPC for and I love it.

Mine also can record OTA HDTV, but I rarely use that due to my DirecTV HD-DVRs.

Using it for music playlists is really nice too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts