AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, Well Before I explain my current Dilemma, word of warning. This is a long post. Sorry, I will try and concise it as much as I can. For anyone that reads this I commend you for your patience and Thanks in advance to any one that comments and gives advice for any questions I ask. Also I hope I am posting in the right forum, please don't flame me to bad, I'm new here =P

Well, Yesterday I was determined I was going to get this 46" Sony LED-LCD 3d tv today(12/3/2010). It's 1500 dollars marked down from 2500 and at Best buy and it includes a 160gb PS3 bundle with Gran Turismo 5 and Grown ups on Blu ray and also included was the 3-d starter kit. Both Bundled items go for 800 bucks alone and were included free upon purchase of the tv. Last night, lol, I gotta admit I was a little Gitty about it. Couldn't wait to see how amazing my games/movies/blurays would look on the new set. Read reviews on the best buy page, all gave it praise. A lot of Reviewers said this Sony Model had almost equal deep blacks as a plasma, but still said a plasma would still win in the long run.

Well around 12 last night I stumbled upon this forum and kept seeing posts saying "Avoid Edge-Lit LED's" Didn't know what that meant so I looked around and saw it...what I saw I didn't like. I found out most LED's now use the edge lit technology to keep their sets thinner and Local dimming sets can be quite expensive. Like most consumers, I was lured into the whole "Smaller equals better" tech standard some people go by. And everywhere I read kept recommending Plasmas. Back in 06-07 when I purchased my current LCD, I tried to steer clear of Plasma cause of the problems people "claimed" they had. Screen burn in, short life, etc. So I looked up my Tv on Sony's website and stated it was "Dynamic Edge lit technology". I didn't know what the hell that meant. Apparently These tv's have local dimming capabilities to a degree but not as much as say a Native Local dimming LED would have(sorry if my words sound retarded...I'm still learning lol). And what I've learned about edge-lit sets is that during darker scenes(or even when watching a movie in a certain aspect ratio) you can see the white light on the corners of your screen.

So I looked up posts about the TV I was interested in and No one mentioned this TV had this problem. The Model I was(and still Kind of am) interested in is the Sony KDL-46HX800 So if you know any links or info on this particular set that would be greatly appreciated. But you can never be to sure since this whole LED nonsense is a newer tech and is bound to have snags. I was up till 5 am in the morning...the thought of getting a new tv as exciting as that is(I was like a kid on Christmas) and the worry that I might be making a a bad purchase was on my mind. I kept looking through AVSforums, Cnet, Here, a couple other review sites(cant remember the names) and user reviews. Finally I just decided "Well I haven't seen anything horrible (unless I missed it) about this set compared to other edge-lit sets(I'm looking at you Samsung) and plus the factor of getting 800 bucks worth of free stuff I will most definitely use. So finally I got to sleep. Now we come to Today.

NOTE: If you are still reading at this point...honestly I love your patience. I tend to over-explain and I'm sorry. The questions are coming up that I have for you guys. again Thanks

So today I went to Best Buy. and decided to look at the Plasma's and not just shun them for being old tech(Im an idiot I know).i was planning on signing up for the 36 month zero apr payment plan/credit card best buy offers. I knew I could pay the TV off in 4-5 months, so 36 was more than enough. And Here is where either divine intervention or pure retardation comes into play(you be the judge). I was set on buying the LED-LCD Sony. Well when I did the whole "process" I was not approved
but it's because I messed up on the kiosk, and the sales rep said I have to wait a month to re-apply again. So who knows forum. Was I making a good choice in buying that tv or was something in me saying go with a plasma.

I tell you one thing, I saw this Panasonic 50" 3-D Plasma. This thing looked gorgeous. The 3d was amazing and the colors and black levels were just Crazy. It was freaking Astro boy on Bluray but it looked better than real life lol. It was 1800 clams, and trust me I'd get it. But the problem is this tv is going in my room, I have limited space and 46" would be the most I can fit.

So after all that if you're still reading, you deserve an award, Here are some questions I hope y'all can enlighten a "Noobie in Plasma" dude...(? Yeah I told you im an idiot...^_^):

-What's the longevity now on Plasma Tv's? I know back in 06 and 07 they were pretty terrible and since I got my TV I havent looked into any news or updates on Plasma sets.

-What's the best brand to go with? I heard Panasonic makes some of the best Plasma sets on the market today. I'm not claiming this, I just heard.

-Right now 3-D isnt a big thing for me, but in any case, Should I go with a 3D set or is it all together not worth it?

-I was really impressed with the Samsung PN50C7000 and the Panasonic Viera TC-P50VT25. The only problem I have with them is that I believe(I could and probably am wrong) they only come in 50" and above and having a tv that size in my room(not living room) would be a little too big and take up to much space. Are there any Plasma's by either brand in the 42-46" category that are close or comparable to these models that any of you guys would recommend? 3d would be nice, but it is not necessary.

-I keep hearing about the Panasonic g25 tv. I didnt see this particular model at my store(I will look again later today), But can anyone share some insight on this model? Pros, cons and whatnot. Also is it available in 42-46" size?

-I heard something about Kuro(I might've spelled it wrong) but when I looked at this thing it was a beastly 3500 bucks online. I probably wont get this till I have my own house, but any insight would be greatly appreciated.

-I read somewhere about a screen calibration or a screen pampering(sorry I cant think of the word) on Plasma's where you have to do something with a certain image or video for 100 hours or so to "prime" the set's screen. I had no idea of the context, but does that relate to anyone, if so what does it mean? Also is burn-in really much of any issue anymore on Plasma's.

-Is lighting/glare/reflection an issue with Plasma's?

-Lastly(unless more questions come up) do Plasma tend to have similar problems like LED/LCD such as dead pixels, clouding, artifacts etc.

I'm still interested in the Sony LED, especially cause of the free PS3 and 3D kit. This set was actually not as thin as some of the LG's and Samsung's I saw. And honestly Plasma's have gotten to be thinner since I last saw them, so that argument doesnt really work for "LED junkies." Please dont feel like I'm sounding ignorant, I really only have about 4 hours of surfing forums knowledge on These sets, I really hope I dont come off as a super Noob or something. I really would love some advice on this matter. Also, I think both Tv's, no matter which I choose, will look better than my 32 inch 3 1/2 year old LCD, So please no fanboyish responses lol if possible, it's cool as long as you give a reason you know, that's all I'm asking. I'd hate to see posts like: "Get the LED yo, It's NEwer and more LEET!!1!"

With that if you're still here and havent gone comatose, thanks for reading this long post. If you want to share any link or stories feel free to do so. Thanks again in advance for your time
. If I posted in the wrong forum I apologize. If need be, you can pm me any links.

·
Registered
8,482 Posts
You can get the Panasonic TC-P46G25 for about $1,000.

·
Premium Member
18,322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Hand /forum/post/19589092

..... around 12 last night I stumbled upon this forum and kept seeing posts saying "Avoid Edge-Lit LED's" Didn't know what that meant so I looked around and saw it...what I saw I didn't like. I found out most LED's now use the edge lit technology to keep their sets thinner and Local dimming sets can be quite expensive. Like most consumers, I was lured into the whole "Smaller equals better" tech standard some people go by. And everywhere I read kept recommending Plasmas. Back in 06-07 when I purchased my current LCD, I tried to steer clear of Plasma cause of the problems people "claimed" they had. Screen burn in, short life, etc. So I looked up my Tv on Sony's website and stated it was "Dynamic Edge lit technology". I didn't know what the hell that meant. Apparently These tv's have local dimming capabilities to a degree but not as much as say a Native Local dimming LED would have(sorry if my words sound retarded...I'm still learning lol). And what I've learned about edge-lit sets is that during darker scenes(or even when watching a movie in a certain aspect ratio) you can see the white light on the corners of your screen.

The LED LCD TVs are attractive when you see them in the stores, but the longer you look at them, they start to look un-natural. The LCD forum is riddled with complaints about the various issues. And the prices are unjustifiably higher than the Plasmas.

Quote:
I tell you one thing, I saw this Panasonic 50" 3-D Plasma. This thing looked gorgeous. The 3d was amazing and the colors and black levels were just Crazy. It was freaking Astro boy on Bluray but it looked better than real life lol. It was 1800 clams, and trust me I'd get it. But the problem is this tv is going in my room, I have limited space and 46" would be the most I can fit.

That must have been the TC-P50VT20 (BB's exclusive version of the TC-P50VT25 which is virtually identical). Great TV !

Quote:
-What's the longevity now on Plasma Tv's? I know back in 06 and 07 they were pretty terrible and since I got my TV I havent looked into any news or updates on Plasma sets.

Longevity wasn't terrible in 06-07, in 2005 Panasonics were officially rated at 60,000 hours and i think it was 2007 when they bumped it up to 100,000 hours officially. Yet BB salesmen back then were still telling me and other customers that plasmas are only rated at 30,000 hours while LCD was 60,000 as they steered people over to the LCD units. I found myself butting in and correcting them. But it doesn't matter if the panel is rated for 30 years - it's more likely that a circuit board or power supply would fail long before the panel starts to dim.

Quote:
-What's the best brand to go with? I heard Panasonic makes some of the best Plasma sets on the market today. I'm not claiming this, I just heard.

Panasonic is the most reliable, with the other two brands being a little less so.

Quote:
-Right now 3-D isnt a big thing for me, but in any case, Should I go with a 3D set or is it all together not worth it?

Only you can determine if 3D is worth it now or in the future, but to a lot of us it's of zero importance. You'll really have to investigate this for yourself - like what kind of content will be available. I saw Avatar 3D at the theaters and it wasn't that big of a deal to me, i prefer regular old 2D when i'm watching TV or movies. I imagine it would be a big thing with the gamers though, and with action movies or animated movies. Another thing that i've noticed when watching 3D demos at Magnolia was that it made a 50" screen look smaller than it really is. Once i looked at 3D on the larger 58" VT25 it finally started to get immersive. I imagine you'd have to get really close (like 5 feet) from a 46" screen to appreciate the 3D.

Quote:
-I was really impressed with the Samsung PN50C7000 and the Panasonic Viera TC-P50VT25. The only problem I have with them is that I believe (I could and probably am wrong) they only come in 50" and above and having a tv that size in my room(not living room) would be a little too big and take up to much space.

The C7000 looks great, and the C8000 is supposed to be a little better still. Some say they look better than the VT20/VT25. Flip a coin? And yes, all these models only come in 50" and larger screen sizes. But a 50" TV isn't THAT much bigger than a 46 incher, and opens you up to more and better choices.

Quote:
Are there any Plasma's by either brand in the 42-46" category that are close or comparable to these models that any of you guys would recommend? 3d would be nice, but it is not necessary.

In the 42" size the few models from LG and Samsung are only cheap low-end 720p models, but Panasonic at least has a few 42" 1080p models (two lower end and one fairly high end). And Panasonic is the only company making 46" Plasmas.

Quote:
-I keep hearing about the Panasonic g25 tv. I didnt see this particular model at my store(I will look again later today), But can anyone share some insight on this model? Pros, cons and whatnot. Also is it available in 42-46" size?

The G25 is the best bang for the buck and is the only TV i'd ever consider in the sub-50" range.

And if you think you'll want a 3D set anyway, Panasonic recently introduced a 3D version of the G25 which is the GT25. It's the same TV, but adds 3D capability. You probably won't see any GT25s in the stores, and the G25 seems to be pretty elusive too.

Quote:
-I heard something about Kuro(I might've spelled it wrong) but when I looked at this thing it was a beastly 3500 bucks online. I probably wont get this till I have my own house, but any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Pioneer got out of the TV making business way over a year ago all the Kuros you're seeing available now are the last of the remaining inventory. The supply is dwindling and will eventually dry up completely.

Quote:
-I read somewhere about a screen calibration or a screen pampering (sorry I cant think of the word) on Plasma's where you have to do something with a certain image or video for 100 hours or so to "prime" the set's screen. I had no idea of the context, but does that relate to anyone, if so what does it mean? Also is burn-in really much of any issue anymore on Plasma's.

It's called "Break In" and for the most part is unneccessary, especially on the Panasonics where burn-in hasn't been a problem for the past 5 years now, yet the old fears are still parroted by the uninformed masses, and those with an anti-plasma agenda. Samsung has also improved their burn-in resistance, while LG is still lagging behind here.

Break in is for people who are particularly anal about aging their screen evenly during the first 100-200 hours, or are intending to get their TV ISF Calibrated within a few weeks of buying the TV. For the vast majority of us, we just watch the TV normally right out of the box, and maybe just be careful to limit or avoid black bars and logos and tickers for the first few weeks just to be on the safe side. I have three plasmas, and have set up many others for various people, and none of em have even a hint of burn-in or any other adverse issues from not being broken in. It's almost impossible to get burn-in on a Panasonic unless you really abuse the set. Bright logos or game HUDs etc tend to leave persistent Image Retention (IR) on the screen after several hours but this soon gets washed away from viewing normal content.

Quote:
-Is lighting/glare/reflection an issue with Plasma's?

It can be, but the higher end models have pretty effective Anti-Reflective Filters that do a pretty good job of muting reflections during the day or at night with some lights on. The VT20/VT25 seems to be the best, with the G25 and Samsung C8000 series right behind it. And now most of the LED LCD TVs have glossy reflective screens to give them more depth and are more reflective than a good plasma is. LCDs used to have matte screens, but that seems to be going away the past few years. You can test all this for yourself at the stores - take a good hard look at how the various LED LCD TVs and Plasma TVs reflect the store's overhead lighting and other stuff behind you during darker scenes and you'll be able to compare them directly. It's not so much an issue when the screen is filled with bright content as the Plasmas are plenty bright enough to punch through the ambient light in a typical room. The LED LCDs are overly bright and need to be dialed back once you get one in a home environment then they start to lose their punchy look that you saw in the stores.

Quote:
-Lastly(unless more questions come up) do Plasma tend to have similar problems like LED/LCD such as dead pixels, clouding, artifacts etc.

No. To be fair, the 2010 Pansonics do have an issue called "Floating Blacks" where during some dark scenes the black level will fluctuate and those who see it are irritated by it. Another issue is "Rising Blacks" which was bad on the 2009 models, but is less apparent on 2010 models. Black levels start out very good when the TV is new, but after several hundred hours the black levels start to rise and end up being roughly the same as the higher end models of the other brands of Plasma. It's mostly visible when watching dark content in a very dark room, but during the day or at night with the lights on it's mostly a non-issue (i have a G10 which is the most adversely affected model). It's constantly being discussed in the Plasma forum and invades just about every unrelated Panasonic thread and has been blown way out of proportion for the most part. I'm still enjoying the heck out of my risen G10, and the G25 is even better.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow thank you for the replies. Yes you hit the nail on the head, The Tv was the VT20 model. It looks awesome. I went to another BB and they were playing Avatar in 3D...I was blown away. Im glad Image Retention can be fixed, cause I plan to use the tv mostly for gaming and every game has those Pesky HuD's
I never play any one title for more than an hour or two in one sitting, so hopefully I wont encounter too much IR.

Also, one more question, might be dumb, but is it worth buying an extended warranty on any of these sets?

Again Thanks for the responses and not just shoving me aside cause I'm a "noobie" =p. j/k

·
Registered
674 Posts
I just went through all this myself My thread on my search for a new Display , maybe you can find some good information in there from many of the members here who have posted.

I wanted a set with a matte finish which seems to be going away as others have said. I found only a few LED displays having it and a few more LCD displays. The ones I found are the Sony ex500, LG 520/550/5400/5500, Sharp e78un,e88un all still have matte or semi matte finishes which do help with reflections/glare. I didn't care about internet or 3d for my display. I find 3d neat but have no desire to wear glasses (other than my normal ones I wear daily) while watching TV as of yet.

I like Plasma and think it offers great things but all Plasma sets go with a glossy finish it seems but some have better glare/reflection filtering built in. My recomendations

If you could care Less about the glare/reflections or have a room where you can control the lights/windows well check out the in this order the Panasonic G20/25 and S2 series also the Samsung pn500/550 series. If you plan to game my recomendations would be the Panasonic g/vt series then the S2, the the Samsung c550 and finally the c500. If glare and reflections bother you and you will be watching with lights on or windows that let light in bother step up the Samsungs to the 6500/7000/8000 series and the Panasonics g/vt series for sure.

I wouldn't worry about burn in as long as you buy a newer set and take care not to run it in extreme conditions (turning off any anti ir/burn in tech, raising all the settings to torch mode and then displaying a static image for a long period of time without chaning). IR can happen but most sets can deal with it in minutes to a couple hours to where it's gone again.

For lcd/led -

Check out the Sharp e78un and e88un series, sony ex500, samsung 550, and the lg 520/550 series. Also the LG le5400/5500/6500 I believe all have matte/semi matte screens.

Extended warranties are up to each individual. A lot of them are more like insurance claims through the reseller than they are warranty extensions. Pretty much you buy insurance that after the factory warranty goes if something goes wrong they will repair the unit. Now some extended "warranties" have limits on the amount of repairs or monetary value of the repairs. Usually it's like 3 repairs for the same issue or the warranty is done after you meet what they feel is the value on the unit. Now if it will give you peace of mind to get one try to cut a deal on the cost of the warranty (some stores will do that, or they may be persuaded to throw in calibration or some other service for you.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The room Im setting it up has no real sources where glare can come in, pretty dim even during the day, and no direct light will ever be hitting the screen. That's one of the reasons I shifted over to the VT20/25. Dont get me wrong a lot of local dimmed led sets look real nice, it's the price difference is too great

I will definitely look at that thread. I love learning about this stuff, now maybe I can give insight to others. Well maybe not

·
Registered
370 Posts
The LED LCD TVs are attractive when you see them in the stores, but the longer you look at them, they start to look un-natural. The LCD forum is riddled with complaints about the various issues. And the prices are unjustifiably higher than the Plasmas.

What is unnatural about them? Sure if there not set up right you may get neon looking grass, but you can also get neon looking grass on a plasma as well. A top end LCD will look just as "natural" as any plasma. The plasma better blacks will be nullified by the LCD's better whites, no?Maybe a lower end LCD will have worse motion issues than a top end plasma, is that what you are referring to? And the plasma forum is also riddled with complaints.

·
Registered
6,232 Posts
There is no such thing as "better LCD" whites....

It's just different whites. Me, I want an ACCURATE white, and I have it on my pro calibrated Plasma. The whites on my self calibrated LCD are pretty damn close to the pro calibrated whites, as close as I can get by eye.

·
Registered
926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Hand /forum/post/19591596

The room Im setting it up has no real sources where glare can come in, pretty dim even during the day, and no direct light will ever be hitting the screen. That's one of the reasons I shifted over to the VT20/25. Dont get me wrong a lot of local dimmed led sets look real nice, it's the price difference is too great

I will definitely look at that thread. I love learning about this stuff, now maybe I can give insight to others. Well maybe not

The above posts by Randy and Briant73 offer some great information but let me caution you on one thing, over analyzing. You can get some great information from this forum but reading it to much before a purchase could possibly talk you out of every set available out there as it seems no matter what's available there is always someone with an issue (most of the time made bigger than it is or an isolated situation) with a particular model and then you have the "anti" camps that will spread garbage about a particular brand, technology or whatever else they can come up with. You've been given some good advice and I suggest you be the final judge with your eyes and don't look back.

Good luck in your search as it appears you have narrowed it down to some quality choices.

·
Banned
196 Posts
Hello Blackhand. Here's some more fodder to chew on. The new issue of PC World came out with their new ratings of the best in HDTV's. Samsung LED LCD's came in first place in the three categories tested. The Panasonic's they tested came in last! Do more research and you'll find what you're looking for.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I second the advice about going on over doing the thought process when buying something but it's good to do research because currently both Plasma and LCD sets have their strengths and weakness. I already knew what my old 46" lcd could do with the room/lighting conditions and what the new Plasma set could do. I found out I have a low tolerance for sitting on the couch and seeing the christmas tree that is on the other side of the TV perfectly even at night.

Make a list of things you will be watching and from what sources. For me it's TV (shows/movies/sports) in mostly HD but some SD, Movies (blu-ray/dvd) and video games. So from there I know need a display that does HD very well but is no slouch when it comes to SD (hd &blu-ray vs SD and DVD) and can handle motion well enough for sports and video games. Because I don't like too much lag in my games it has to have a good gaming mode/input setup that doesn't add lag due to slower processing. My research says for the current displays out in the stores the brands to look for are Panasonic plasma and Sharp LCD/LED. Samsung and Sony are decent and LG gets mixed reviews by different people but some people claim the IPS panel sets do very well where others notice a good amount of lag. Also with the LG there is no guarantee you will get an IPS panel without checking the serial numbers.

From there I need to add factors like room position and lighting and my ability to either work around those factors or find a TV that will handle the environment better. So since the room is the way it is and others in the household like lights and decorations I either have to adjust my tolerance level or find a set that miinmizes those effects. So after research and deciding my tolerance level isn't that great Sharp, Sony, Samsung and LG lcd sets seemed to have the matte screen that helps with those effects. LG also has some LED sets that have matte finish.

I wanted good PQ, decent motion and handles multiple viewing angles well. Plasma takes the cake on this one but most if not all Plasma sets have a glossy finish to the screen. So in this catergory my research had Plasma number one but because of the glossy screen, room conditions, and my lower tolerance for reflections I leaned more towards an LCD/LED with Matte screen. Sharp, Sony, Samsung and LG lcd/led all get good reviews for these categories, with Panasonic/Samsung and LG plasma doing very well though I hear the LG screens are glossy to the point of being mirror like and don't handle reflections/glare as well as Samsung/Panasonic.

Now on to the final and deciding factor - Budget, I wanted the biggest screen that fit my criteria and also my budget. I noticed that since plasma is probably not the best fit for me considering my room and lighting conditions that LCD/LED would be the choice.

As you can see the Sharp, Samsung, LG, and Sony sets all seemed to fit with each other in most categories but the Sharp had a better rating by gamers for lag. So in the end I chose to give the Sharp lc60e88un a try. The Sharp was on the fence until I saw the ln##e78un set which is not really the same model but seems to have similar tech/performance and felt the picture quality was comparable to the other brands.

So make a list of what you view, what you want your display to do, what conditions it's going in and you should be able to narrow down the choices. Good luck to you and try buying from somewhere with a good return/exchange policy because a lot of internet retailers and some B&M are once you buy it, it's yours.

·
Registered
8,482 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbyrne
Hello Blackhand. Here's some more fodder to chew on. The new issue of PC World came out with their new ratings of the best in HDTV's. Samsung LED LCD's came in first place in the three categories tested. The Panasonic's they tested came in last! Do more research and you'll find what you're looking for.
Consumer Reports rated the 55UNC8000 lower in picture quality with HD and SD sources than 7 other makes and models including the Vizio 55 inch model 553.

I would never use PC World for TV ratings. No more than I would use Popular Science, Popular Mechanics, TV Guide, or any other advertiser sponsored source.

Downrating TVs because of Internet Connectivity issues is foolish.

The top issues are:

1) HD Picture Quality

2) SD Picture Quality

3) Viewing Angle

4) Sound Quality from built-in speakers.

PC world is so lame they don't even mention Viewing Angle and they test TVs lined up side by side on a long table?!!!!

And they have what, a 3 year history of testing TVs?

Their results are as backward as they can be.

·
Banned
196 Posts
Now Now! c'mon, don't be like that. Just because PC World gave the Samsungs a great rating doesn't mean it's the end of the world. There's a lot of people out there, including yourself, that love Plasmas. Go out and get yourself a new one. You'll feel a lot better in the morning.

·
Registered
926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbyrne /forum/post/19595584

Now Now! c'mon, don't be like that. Just because PC World gave the Samsungs a great rating doesn't mean it's the end of the world. There's a lot of people out there, including yourself, that love Plasmas. Go out and get yourself a new one. You'll feel a lot better in the morning.

You improved for awhile but now you're back to being nothing but a Samsung fanboy. That doesn't help anyone in the forum.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah I gotta agree with HTguru on the whole "over-analysing" issue. I've done this in the past and not going that route again.

You can't always go by one bad review someone gives, cause most of the time these are isolated incidents that no one else encounters. Now if 40 different people or so complain about the same problem, then you might have to look more into that.

I've asked these same questions on other sites, and from what I've compiled and taken from them, and now which TV I'm sold on. Plus everyone is different and not everyone will see what you(or in this case "I") will see. In a store it's hard to determine which set is actually the better model. Only when you finally take the bad boy home can you appreciate(or dislike) how your tv will perform, in your element, not with a bunch of bright halogens lighting up the tv showroom.

As far as problems, every thing you buy is never 100% fool proof. Especially technology. If worst comes to worst, I took my set home and it's doesnt perform up to par, I'll just box it up return it for another set. Of course this an annoyance to have to pack all that up, but it's a minor cost in trying to find the perfect set for your current room setup.

·
Banned
196 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Hand /forum/post/19596097

Yeah I gotta agree with HTguru on the whole "over-analysing" issue. I've done this in the past and not going that route again.

You can't always go by one bad review someone gives, cause most of the time these are isolated incidents that no one else encounters. Now if 40 different people or so complain about the same problem, then you might have to look more into that.

I've asked these same questions on other sites, and from what I've compiled and taken from them, and now which TV I'm sold on. Plus everyone is different and not everyone will see what you(or in this case "I") will see. In a store it's hard to determine which set is actually the better model. Only when you finally take the bad boy home can you appreciate(or dislike) how your tv will perform, in your element, not with a bunch of bright halogens lighting up the tv showroom.

As far as problems, every thing you buy is never 100% fool proof. Especially technology. If worst comes to worst, I took my set home and it's doesnt perform up to par, I'll just box it up return it for another set. Of course this an annoyance to have to pack all that up, but it's a minor cost in trying to find the perfect set for your current room setup.

You have made some excellent points. No matter what I tell you or anyone else on this forum, YOU will be your best resource in determining which T.V. will work for your needs. Nothing is ever 100% fool proof when it comes to HDTV displays. Once you have selected what you like, enjoy!

·
Registered
Display: TCL 65R617, AVR: Denon X2300W, Source: PS4 Pro, Fronts: Infinity Primus 250
3,018 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Hand /forum/post/19591596

If you have no lighting issues and are not worried about burn-in or bothered much by IR, go with a plasma, as they truly do have the best PQ.

Myself, my biggest complaint is with glare and reflection, I can't stand IR and have an innate fear of burn-in. Though I do understand it to be a very rare issue these days, I have a situation at home where I believe I can't risk it. There are multiple kids at my home that will watch my TV while I am at work and leave the display with static images on the screen. I have come home to see Netflix menu or a static DVD top menu on my screen to find out it was something the kids were watching at 8am. I usually don't get home till 6pm. If I owned a plasma, I would be so paranoid of burn-in in this situation I would likely get arrested for throttling the lot of them. Good thing I own an LCD

But that's my own personal situation. The best thing you can do is find the tech that is right for you and your own situation and most of all, enjoy some movies (or playing games or whatever)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuSoardGraphite /forum/post/19596297

If you have no lighting issues and are not worried about burn-in or bothered much by IR, go with a plasma, as they truly do have the best PQ.

Myself, my biggest complaint is with glare and reflection, I can't stand IR and have an innate fear of burn-in. Though I do understand it to be a very rare issue these days, I have a situation at home where I believe I can't risk it. There are multiple kids at my home that will watch my TV while I am at work and leave the display with static images on the screen. I have come home to see Netflix menu or a static DVD top menu on my screen to find out it was something the kids were watching at 8am. I usually don't get home till 6pm. If I owned a plasma, I would be so paranoid of burn-in in this situation I would likely get arrested for throttling the lot of them. Good thing I own an LCD

But that's my own personal situation. The best thing you can do is find the tech that is right for you and your own situation and most of all, enjoy some movies (or playing games or whatever)

^^^ Ouch yeah I feel you. I'd hate to see something like that happen in my situation. i will probably be operating the tv more than 95% of the time.

Well Im trying to save up for it and hopefully I will own one by or before Christmas(2010 not 2011...lol
).

1 - 20 of 35 Posts