AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone - Heres the deal - I am building an addition on my home starting in a couple months. I am slowly putting together a high end 2 channel / home theatre system for the room. I have recently begun to get into the TV realm of the system and have been blown away by the Sony TVs. I have done some research to get to know my 2 top choices : The KV34XBR800 and the KD34XBR2. I have recently been writing back and forth to Directv to find out more about HDTV and exactly what hardware I would need to get HD in the new room. I currently have SD in 2 rooms so I have the standard dish as well. From what I understand I would still need to buy a set top tuner in order to get Directv even with the XBR2. I am not sure what to do about getting either set since I do not want to spend more than the XBR2 would cost. The one thing I have going for me right now is I have plenty of time to decide before I buy. Just to get this thread started here are my initial questions :

1) Is there enough programming through Directv in HD to warrant even considering this proposition ?

2) Do either or both of these sets do upconverting from SDTV or DVD w/ progressive scan, meaning they make standard definition look like high definition ?

3) Do any of you know of any future plans, meaning by around spring, that Sony may make a HDTV with integrated tuner that accepts the Directv satellite feed without the need for another set top unit ?

4) Any opinions if I had to choose between these 2 sets which I should buy and whether or not I should bother upgrading to HDTV ?

5) Given my current satellite set up, what EXACTLY do I need, for either of these sets, in order to receive HDTV ?

There are more questions, but don't want to take up too much space or your time. Any and all help / opinions are welcome. I have time to wait until purchase but want to make the right choice as this will be my system for many years to come. I am so glad I found this site and thank you all in advance for any assistance you may throw my way - Happy Thanksgiving everyone !! Hope you are not all too full Larry L

·
Registered
186 Posts
If you've got so much time to decide, read the posts on the board for a few weeks back. You'll find the answers to most of your questions.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hi,

You have some big decisions to make. I am familair with much of the technology, but by no means an expert as you will find some people here are.

To start:

If this is going to be your system 'for the next several' years. I would consider the 40" Sony XBR800 direct view. I imagine you are looking at the 34" Sony HDTV TV for 3 reasons. It's 16:9 format, builtin HDTV decoder and that it is direct view. However for about $1k more you can get the 40" sony AND a HDTV decoder.

And the benfits are: 4:3 TV viewing would be 107% larger, yes over twice the size of the 34".

16:9 and 2.35:1 viewing would be almost 17% larger on the 40" Sony.

There is also the benefit of being able to use whatever HDTV decoder you would like and the flexibilty to change it in the future should the need arise.

Enough programming of HDTV content for DirectTV? Well it's getting there but not quite. They do have a dedicated HDTV channel, but it's not 24h a day. HBO and SHO do offer an HD channel which looks fantastic.

Now some primetime shows are in HD, but you won't use the SAT to view them, you would use OTA (over the air aka antenna) to receive these channels. So you would want an OTA HDTV antanna as well to receive these channels.

As far as an integrated Sony/DirectTV receiver...again I have no inside track, but I can't see that happening anytime soon. And too be honest I don't think it's your best option. Having no integrated receiver offers you the flexibility to change and upgrade as needed without having to sell the entire tv.

To receive the HD signal from DirectTV you will need a 3rd LNB attached to your dish..and it cannot be the circular falfor either, you will need the oval type to accomodate the 3 LNB's.

Well I am sure many others will be able to help you as well. Good luck. :)

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
I would like to suggest reading what is in my signature at the bottom it's has the letters FCC in it. Digital is 16 X 9, if you take the the advice to go to a 40 inch 4 x 3 in the coming years to see any of your programming, you will need a set top box down grading the digital to analog; for your analog set to be able to see analog programming.

I and many here have a RCA F-38310 HDTV which has fully integratd sytem with built in line doubler. Since I already receive digital programming I am not only conforming to what my government wants, but I am enjoying the wide screen movies of both my cable company and one of my 4 DVD players.

FYI 16 x 9 measurements of my 38 inch are

19 inches high by 32.25 inches in width, configured by 1/2 of the diaginol as my height. For my width devide diaginol by 8 then multiply it by 7 this my interior view area which I am seeing as I type from 5 feet away.

If you decide going with analog 4:3 take 1/2 of diaginol as your height and minus 7 inches off your diaginol for your width. We provide correct information, you make and live with your own decisions.:)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.