AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am starting to get interested in a PVR; I don't have one, and I am tired of/bored with VHS. As a big fan of Denon components, I noticed back in July or so, Jeff Talmadge of Denon USA was "billboarding" a new product using Replay technology, under the Denon brand, that would be unveiled "September/October". It was said to be something special and unlike current products

While I wait an official announcement, what's the speculation?

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
If it's speculation you're looking for, you've certainly come to the right place. Just give the spec-birds a few minutes to wake up. ;)

·
Registered
606 Posts
MRin -

You will find a lot of people funnin' with you here. Mostly harmlessly, of course. The latest news is that DNNA (Dennon's subsidiary for Replay, Rio and Escient) has released the 5500 series of PVRs. At this time, there is nothing extremely special about the units - in fact, this series does not include Commercial Advance or Internet Video Sharing; however, a software upgrade (details unknown) is in the works that is supposed to make this the "mother of all PVRs". It is yet to be seen. This software upgrade is also supposed to be compatible with the 5000 series of PVRs, which do include Commercial Advance and Internet Video Sharing. If you are looking for something revolutionary, join the club. This is not to say that the current models are worthless - to the contrary, I just purchased my second unit.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Yep, moeronn has it right. You're looking for the ReplayTV 5500, which is the first ReplayTV model to be released since DNNA purchased the assets of ReplayTV.

No, it ain't revolutionary. Unless, of course, you don't own a PVR yet at all. In that case, it will change your life. :)

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
DenonJeff was talking about the 5500?

And I was all excited...

Anyone have a link to where DJ talked about this "new product"?

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
I'd buy a Denon branded PVR if I had a reasonable assurance that it didn't run any ReplayTV authored code.

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by toots
I'd buy a Denon branded PVR if I had a reasonable assurance that it didn't run any ReplayTV authored code.
Too true!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.