AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after ripping a zillion DVD's, it's becoming increasingly apparent that with 1 terrabyte hard drives out there (who woulda thunk?), I can easily store these vob files on disc.

Being the neat and tidy person I am, sounds good to me but man... "all that work" !

Anyway, I'm starting to hear the phrase "media player" more and more and was wondering what that "scene" is all about.

But first,

I suppose I could build up a PC that is dedicated to video?... Just buy a quality video card with HDMI output for my Optoma projector? I don't need wireless, I could mount the PC right there. Then, just use Windows media player and play my video ts folders? Also, I'm not an HD fan, I prefer older movies and actually like that "film" look.

Couple of questions regarding that approach....

Any CPU requirements?

Video card recommendations?

Is there really cool software to manage video libraries etc that outdoes

media player?

OR........

The "media player" thing. (any model numbers and names to look at?).

These are products now that are all in one to do the same thing?....with a remote control (who needs it)....and a fancy interface?

Bottom line......if I don't need bells and whistles or wireless capability etc, should I stick with the PC approach?

THANKS kindly for any help on this.

·
Registered
53 Posts
check out wd tv

its a little box that can play lots of media - audio, video, up to 1080P, and its probably much simpler and less power, and less expensive than building a pc. It sometimes goes for as low as $99 in the us

if you want a little more power there is the popcorn hour - it has the ability to network, and if you manage to get the custom gui's on it they look very slick

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
But, I'll still need a hard drive "somewhere" with all of my VOB files.

I don't follow you....I'll look at it......it sounds like some sort of interface?

Rather than a video card, you connect the wd tv to the PC? USB or something?

Better than a video card? Does it do the codecs in hardware or something?

What are the advantages of it?

Thanks much.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok...went to the WD site.

Very cool.....do you have personal experience with this? I want an interface but don't need "overkill".

Basically, just watch the DVD's.

I've seen the netflix box -- I'll assume this doesn't have that capability -- I wish there was one out there that would "do it all" but then that would be a business contradiction for Netflix.

Maybe I'll get both.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I do not own the WD TV but in reading the forums (Videohelp.com!) this device does not do well with ripped DVD's.

You should look into using the original Xbox soft converted to use XBMC. I have converted several and currently use two. The information for conversion can be found at Xbox-scene.com. If you don't want to convert one yourself there is a listing of people willing to help also. You can also use the Xbox with the largest IDE drive currently being sold and also stream video from computers or servers.

If you are going to stream the video from a computer or server you should only consider using a wired network connection as wireless can be very sporadic. I regularly stream SD video to two xbox's simultaneously (wired connection) with no problems.

Its better to use a dedicated server to stream the video. I use Naslite with an old computer. This Naslite server currently has 1.5 terabytes and can still be expanded!

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Stick -- glad to hear that info.

Sounds like some deliberate software manipulation to make life hard for the VOB files.

So back to my original plan I suppose....

Just a dedicated video computer with a wired connection running straight into my optoma projector, which is HDMI or DVI. I don't need photos or audio or a remote, etc....so this makes more sense, right?

A few questions though, maybe you can help?

Looks as though I may be able to do better than Windows media player (although it doesn't really pose a problem)....with other software like "GOM" ?

And --

Any recommendations on a video card with HDMI/DVI output that is popular?

Although I can play my VOB's right now with XP and a 733mhz cpu with no problems, I suppose a faster cpu wouldn't hurt either.

THANKS.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts