AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I finally want to calibrate my screen and start taking my setup seriously as I've been using it a lot lately and just upgraded my whoel surround sound system. I have an LG 47LE8500, which is a great TV especially after being close to 5 years old now. All my video comes in via my HTPC w/ a GTS450 graphics card. My AVR is between the HTPC and the TV. My main media viewing software is Kodi/XBMC as it feels more set top box'ish, but I'm thinking of using MPC-HC with MadVR soon or the soon to be released Kodi/XBMC DSPlayer breanch with integrated MadVR.

So I've been reading up on calibrating my TV and it seems straight forward but what I don't get is what I should do first in the calibration process. Should I calibrate my TV screen's settings via the AVS 709 pattern disc using my PS3 first and then once the screen is good I should then calibrate it with the HTPC as the source and generate the 3DLut file? Or should I just do everything from the HTPC as the source?

FYI, my friend has a colorimeter I can borrow (he's a hardcore AV guy) and is willing to assit me, but I want to atleast have a basic understanding and try it myself first.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Bump.

Came here to ask the same question. Looks like we essentially want to do:

1) Calibrate the TV for: built-in apps like Netflix, broadcast, various other sources connected to the TV like bray player, ps4 etc
2) Calibrate the HTPC: windows profile, 3DLut for madvr etc

Is this the right order of doing things?

EDIT: OK I think the following is the right order of doing things:
- Use test patterns like 709, and load them up to the TV (via usb, bluray, xbox, etc)
- Calibrate the display
- Turn on HTPC, run PC monitor calibration and create a profile for your TV on top of the existing calibration settings on the TV
- If using MadVR, generate 3D luts

1 - 2 of 2 Posts