AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i want to buy a vinyl setup and need to know the things i have to buy, obviously need a turntable and phonostage, what else would i need ?...the setup i use is in my signature thanks for the help

·
Registered
6,156 Posts
Actually, you don't need a phono stage. There's one in the Yamaha. Assuming your turntable comes with a cartridge (most of the sub-$1000 ones do), that's all you need.

·
Registered
17 Posts
A table, cartridge and phono stage (if your receiver or preamp doesn't have one) are the bare basics, but there are also maintenance tools that you will want to pick up. A brush for your vinyl, a styles brush (also check out the Magic Eraser, a bargain stylus cleaner). If you are getting a lot of used vinyl, I'd also recommend getting a vinyl washer like the Spin Clean. Removing accumulated dust with something like this removes a ton of surface noise, and will extend the life of your cartridge.

·
Registered
5,568 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellybundy110 /forum/post/20865886

hi i want to buy a vinyl setup and need to know the things i have to buy, obviously need a turntable and phonostage, what else would i need ?...the setup i use is in my signature thanks for the help

What price range are you looking at?? Being you won't need a phono you could add that part of your budget towards a better TT or cart.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Class A /forum/post/20867965

What price range are you looking at?? Being you won't need a phono you could add that part of your budget towards a better TT or cart.

whats a cart my budget is 2500***

·
Registered
6,156 Posts
"Cart" is short for cartridge.

For that money I would include on my list a Technics SL-1200 customized by Kevin Barrett at www.kabusa.com .

·
Registered
2,270 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnarus /forum/post/0

"Cart" is short for cartridge.

For that money I would include on my list a Technics SL-1200 customized by Kevin Barrett at www.kabusa.com .

He does not have budget for mods. Don't forget that cartridge included in total price. I would still recommend SL1200, but stock, plus AT440MLA cartridge for it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
BUMPING UP my budget to 2500 thanks

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
$2500 for a TT setup w/a pair of $279 PSB Alpha B1 speakers, that seems a little out of whack. Are you planning to upgrade your speakers? Here's a suggestion The Clearaudio Concept TT comes w/cart $1499(basically plug and play right out of the box). Also does 33,45 and 78rpms w/out changing the belt. A speaker upgrade the Wharfedale EVO2-30's are being cleared out on Music Direct in the demo section $659 for Maple regular price was $1650. Wharfedale is making room for the new Jade series. Upgrade the phono w/a Lehmann Black Cube $499. Add the Spin Clean Starter Kit $79.99 and an Audioquest carbon fibre brush $25.00 it should make a nice setup. Also mentioned the Technics SL-1200 is a fantastic TT I'm not sure of the exact price but it should fit in. The other guys on this thread usually have some good ideas which I'm sure they can add some insight and suggestions. Good luck and have fun.

·
Registered
6,156 Posts
Good point from Class A, but I'd go further. For anyone on any kind of budget constraint, I'd spend more on my speakers than on a vinyl rig.

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnarus
Good point from Class A, but I'd go further. For anyone on any kind of budget constraint, I'd spend more on my speakers than on a vinyl rig.
These are $1650 speakers the price I quoted is the clearance price so it looks like he'd get a pretty good set of speakers for short money, while still getting a top end TT in the budget. By the way their also selling the $2000 EVO3-30's for $799. Wharfeale is moving these to make room for the Jade series this fall. Did you have anything in mind??? I have nothing against the PSB's, VG entry level speakers, but it won't get the most out of the higher end equpment. The B-1's can only go so far.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Class A /forum/post/20871643

$2500 for a TT setup w/a pair of $279 PSB Alpha B1 speakers, that seems a little out of whack. Are you planning to upgrade your speakers? Here's a suggestion The Clearaudio Concept TT comes w/cart $1499(basically plug and play right out of the box). Also does 33,45 and 78rpms w/out changing the belt. A speaker upgrade the Wharfedale EVO2-30's are being cleared out on Music Direct in the demo section $659 for Maple regular price was $1650. Wharfedale is making room for the new Jade series. Upgrade the phono w/a Lehmann Black Cube $499. Add the Spin Clean Starter Kit $79.99 and an Audioquest carbon fibre brush $25.00 it should make a nice setup. Also mentioned the Technics SL-1200 is a fantastic TT I'm not sure of the exact price but it should fit in. The other guys on this thread usually have some good ideas which I'm sure they can add some insight and suggestions. Good luck and have fun.

i was thinking about getting the bw 685's before the TT what do you think ?

Wharfedale EVO2-30's are Recommended Amp 50-250W i doubt my amp can drive that efficiently.

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
A few things I'm curious about. Do prefer bookshelf or tower speakers? What is the size of your room and what type of music do you like to listen to? Your room is a big factor in where you should go. I don't have a big room and for me I found that front ported speakers were the way to go to get a better control of my bass. By the way some years back I would have a a perfect TT for your Yamaha. It was a Yamaha PF-800 very cool looking TT w/3 huge brass knobs on top to balance the TT.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Class A /forum/post/20873441

A few things I'm curious about. Do prefer bookshelf or tower speakers? What is the size of your room and what type of music do you like to listen to? Your room is a big factor in where you should go. I don't have a big room and for me I found that front ported speakers were the way to go to get a better control of my bass. By the way some years back I would have a a perfect TT for your Yamaha. It was a Yamaha PF-800 very cool looking TT w/3 huge brass knobs on top to balance the TT.

hi i actually decided on the dynaudio dm 2/7 bookshelf speakers, i acutally bought the psb alpha b1 as "placeholders" for something really nice. i still have a 2500 budget for a TT honestly i dont know the exact dimension of my room but i would say, its large for a bedroom.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B /forum/post/20874645

$2500 new or used price?

B.

prefer new.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am an utter noob here, but after having done some research myself (primarily on phono stages, as I already have a TT and pretty much everything else), I went with the Jasmine LP2.0MKII phono stage ( http://www.jasmineaudio.net/lp2.html ). It seems to be near-universally lauded as punching significantly above its pricepoint, which might free you up some funds for a better TT, system tweaks, or maybe even some more sweet vinyl music!

Absolute best of luck, my friend!! Hope you find something that really lets you love your music!!

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
I like the Phonomena II phono it's an outstanding product that gives you lots of flexibility in choosing various carts. But as an alternitive if you go w/the $1499 Clearaudio TT you can add a VPI 16.5 record cleaner. If your vinyl is not clean and in good shape it really doesn't matter how good your equipment is. I go to a dealer that also sells used records and he has a basic Clearaudio TT that his customers can demo the vinyl before purchasing. He has it hooked up w/a pair of $3800 Triangle speakers and the music sounds great. Also check out the mod for the Technics SL-1200 that would also be a fine option.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.