AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks.

I figured this would be the place to get a correct answer to my query. I've got a new Toshiba 51H84. Having gone through the Video Essentials disk to the best of my abilities, I then set to performing the 56 point convergence in the user menu (my first projection TV, so please don't mock me too bad for my inadequacy).

The white boxes/crosses seem to have slight discoloration along the egdes in some areas, but I figure that may be due to the blue crosses "blooming" like a mother, making it difficult/impossible to get any accuracy. When adjusting the red, edges are razor sharp and easy to line up, but the blue is quite blurred along the edges, expanding the line by about 1-2mm.

Is this something which I've missed? Is this something which I can fix without having someone onsite? Thanks in advance for any responses.

· Registered
5,307 Posts
this may be normal. The blue gun on crt sets is intentionally de-focussed compared to the others. Has something to do with the blue gun being inherently weaker due to the phosphors being less bright, I think. If I remember correctly the rationale is that if the blue gun is focused as tightly as the rest then the gun must be driven harder to produce equal brightness and will wear out prematurely.

If the blue is sticking out on both sides it's ok.

The worst thing you should see on regular programming is perhaps a tiny bit of color fringing on talking heads against a blue background, as in many local news broadcasts.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Steve, thanks very much for your response.

So ther's no reason/way to get this to a defined line? I guess i'll learn to live with it. Hope you don't take offense, but i will await other answers. I'm havin a difficult time accepting that blurry blue is the way to go.

· Registered
719 Posts
Yea...I have a Panasonic 53RPTV and I've noticed the out-of-focus blue as well for as long as I've had it. Although I've moved it up 3 flights of stairs about 3 times now within the 2 years that I had it, that could of had something to do with my convergence problems. I got a 5 year warranty on my so I can have somebody from Anderson's Big Screen come down and do a manual convergence and hopefully have the glare screen removed. That glare is so annoying watching it with any kinda light in the room.

· Registered
1,253 Posts
I wouldnt remove the glare screen unless absolutely necessary, first of all because you surely paid for it, and secondly because especially with RP's, the glare screen really enhances color and contrast purity. At least it always did for me.

· Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

You can always open up the bottom panel and tighten the electronic focus on the blue crt via the focus block.

It is labeled so do not touch the wrong knobs.

regards

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the responses, folks. The picture really is quite nice, I only really notice the blooming during the convergence so it probably shouldn't bother me, but for some reason it does.

The glare screen will remain on this set, if only because I'm a clumsy ox. That's also the reason why I wouldn't be the one to crack open the case and adjust the focus on the blue CRT, I'm sure I'd wind up with a fried set and a permanent afro.

Steve S was probably on to something, anyone have matching info? Even in a place with as many sharp and informed minds as this, I'd feel best with a bit of consensus. thanks again for the responses.

· Registered
7,918 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Playdrv4me
I wouldnt remove the glare screen unless absolutely necessary, first of all because you surely paid for it, and secondly because especially with RP's, the glare screen really enhances color and contrast purity. At least it always did for me.
Actually with the XXH83 series Toshiba's, the glare screen is pretty bad and it seems to be a common recommendation to remove it or change it's position in the stack. Don't know if they improved it with the XXh84 models.

· Registered
1,603 Posts
MichaelTLV,

I've always understood that changing the electronic focus on the blue CRT in particular can significantly impact the grayscale. Perhaps in this case doing only a mechanical focus of the blue CRT would be best. Your thoughts?

Tim

· Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

I haven't seen one Toshiba crt RP unit have an accurate grayscale out of the box. They are all on the red/purple side ...

Given this, doing either EF or MF will have no real impact on making the grayscale worse since it is already wrong out of the box. And doing either will affect grayscale ... as will doing almost anything else to the TV. Grayscales are touchy that way ...

Change contrast ... change grayscale ...

change brightness ... change grayscale...

Change DVD player ... change grayscale

Go ahead and do it ... it's not that hard ... (and if you are hopelessly lost ... then bloody :) call me and if I have time, I'll talk you through it.)

Regards

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Geez I must've been sleeping while checking the responses earlier, missed your sig and info by your name there Michael TLV. I can only imagine that I can take your word as gospel ;-)

Thanks for the offer of tech support too, but I'll try to avoid bothering you anymore than through this board. Just a few quick questions then:

1) How much dismantling is involved?

2) Would this burn the blue out early as Steve S suggested?

3) Any special tools required?

4) Would this void the warranty?

Thanks again for your time and patience.

· Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

The procedure is this ...

take the speaker grill off ...

unscrew the big black board covering the trimpots you need access too. 6 to 9 screws I believe.

Try to be in the service menu with the 56 point convergence grid on screen when you do this.

the 100 / 0 keys on the remote shut off and on the red and green crts. ch rtn shuts the blue one ... so turn off the red and green and look at the blue.

the focus block is a black box with 6 knobs ... cannot miss it ...

three knobs for screen and three for focus ... (labeled) ... (Sometimes the block is upside down ... so be careful)

never never touch the screen knobs ...!!!!

only turn the focus knobs.

With only blue on screen ... turn the knob and observe how fat and thin the lines get ... pick the thinnest for the center.

(since you are here ... may as well verify red and green too)

2) No this will not burn out blue early ... (it is defocused a bit internally anyway so you can never get it to be as tight as the other two colours.)

3) tools ... screw driver with a hex head ...

4.) Warranty voids only if you wreck the TV ... other wise ... no one will ever know ... it'll be our little secret. Think of it like changing the oil filter on your car ...

Regards

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Michael, you've been extremely helpful. I'll give it a shot shortly. Am i correct in assuming that the speaker grill "pops" off with a bit of a tug, or are there some hidden screws holding it it place that I missed during a cursory inspection?

· Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

Grill is attached with about 5 clips ... no screws

regards

· Registered
7,918 Posts
Any advice for a 57HX83? :)

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I know that i seem like an absolute drooling idiot, but should i just pull directlty away from the tv on the grill at the bottom where the handles are, or should it slide up/to the side/down? I am extremely paranoid about snapping one of the clips with my ham-fisted attempts. Thanks again.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Michael TLV, Thank you SO much for your assistance. The blue is now not nearly as blurry, and I now have the confidence to mess with the Red and green (sooner or later). A pant-load of praise for you, and thanks again.

And for those still wondering like I was:

Just give the speaker grill a good yank, plastic arrows into square holes is all it is

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.