AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am deliberating 24/7 on whether to buy the current 65h80 or wait for the new models. The new ISDC Pro doubler seems to be the biggest "advantage" in the new sets. I am not an expert by any means so can anyone enlighten me on 540p vs. 480p. I am primarily concerned with it's impact on DVD's. I understand it is 60 more lines of progressive but I thought DVD's native format was 480p so won't those extra lines just be overscan or introduce extra artifacts that were not there to begin with?

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Internal line doublers seldom live up to real world expectations, they are useful for watching a sitcom or two, but that's it, don't expect much from them.

Watching DVD's scaled by the Toshiba HDTV was like pulling teeth, it looked worse than I could possibly imagine. The internal doubler on this TV was highly rated in a Widescreen Review article late last year mind you, but it did not satisfy me. So I tried a progressive scan Toshiba SD-6200 and this was amazing, finally DVD's started looking like they should. I took it one step further after some encouragement from my tech guru, Corey. Corey loves HTPC and for the price nothing beats Radeon equipped HTPC for DVD's heck you can even get a tuner card and scale NTSC up to HDTV resolutions. I can say this watching DVD's at 1920x1080i is freakin amazing.

As Corey would say, "Man ah've waited for many things, but waitin fer end internal dubler is stupider dan singin are ya lonesome tonite en a bar fulla matrons, unless ya gotta git yer jones off er sumtin."

[This message has been edited by imws (edited 07-09-2001).]

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.