AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Toshiba's upcoming 16:9 TheaterWide RP series product info states this featute: "IDSCpro 1080i/540p HD compatable display". Their pitch is that this is really a single resolution (as far as the display settings are concerned) and that showing 540p should produce a better image than displaying 480p.

If this is true should the 540p output from a DTC100 (or anything else outputting 540p) look better than a box that puts out 480p? Would my iScan (480p) look worse because the RP would convert it to 540p? Any other drawbacks?

Thanks in advance. I'm >this close< to picking up the 57"er when they come out soon.

Curtis

·
Premium Member
7,158 Posts
Curtis,

540p is typically field doubled 1080i. Basically it is poorman's deinterlacing. It is not a seperate resoltion such as 720p with a diferring horizontal pixel count.

480p is definitely a seperate setting in the current line of Tosh's. Not only are the black levels different between 1080i & 480p sources (intentionally), the service mode settings are distinct.

Resolution is not created in scaling from 480p to 540p, and in actuality some is lost depending on the quality of scaling and overlap of lines.

Could you quote where they say 540p (it's reference is HD not SD or DVD) should produce a better image than 480p? It may just be context.

BTW I am very happy with the Tosh and assume it just gets better in successive versions.

Tim

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
I'm doing 540p right now on my old toshiba with my PC. I don't know why they are advertising it.

------------------

STOP DVI/HDCP!!!!!

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Could you quote where they say 540p (it's reference is HD not SD or DVD) should produce a better image than 480p? It may just be context.

Now I'm more confused than before. The 2 year old bookmark -

"... However, the HDTV-ready sets will display 480p programming as

540P, an unusual format that uses the same 33.75KHz scanning frequency as the

1080i format."

on the TWxxX81 series appears here: http://www.tvinsite.com/twice/index....=searchResults

The new product spec sheet for is on pg. 13 of this PDF from Tosh Canada document: http://www.toshiba.ca/ceg/html/Flip%20Chart%202001.pdf

Toshiba's press release of 3 weeks ago says nothing about 540p. It's here: http://db.widescreenreview.com/webne...sortorder=desc end&-sortfield=Day&-sortorder=descend&Type=Web%20News&-op=cn&Article=Toshiba&-op=eq&Year=2001&-max=10&-recid=39110&-find=

I owned the 1st generation TW65H80 that I sold 4 months ago and miss it terribly.

[This message has been edited by Curtis (edited 07-24-2001).]

·
Registered
121 Posts
It is interesting that no-one seems to make a RPTV-Monitor. For many of us reading this forum, we don't NEED one NTSC tuner, much less two of them. And, we don't need audio amplifiers or speakers either. All we need is a high-performance video display device with a good selection of inputs and good adjustability. If a Toshiba 50H81 costs $2,500 with all of this unnecessary stuff, what would it cost stripped down? Or, perhaps without all of the baggage, it could offer a higher performance video system at a similar price.

Perhaps a topic on HD Video Display devices would be useful?

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
The new Toshiba sets (71 and 81 suffixes) do indeed convert all inputs to 540p (that includes 480p) and display at only one scanning frequency of 33.75kHz.

Early reports say there are no visible artifacts due to this. Here's hoping!

------------------

John Golitsis

Next Big Thing Electronics

Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
www.nbtelectronics.com

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Thanks Johnny for the point on the new series Toshibas. We await your further input on this series. I'm almost certain that I am going with the HX81 due to your and other early positive comments about it...PJH- exactly what I have been thinking! I just do not need Toshiba (improved) dixie-cup speakers. Just give me an awesome picture and sane electronic controls for some convenience. Toshiba, I love ya, but are you out there listening to us about the monitor?

·
Premium Member
7,158 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by PJH:
This is what the RCA DTC100 does, and everyone seems happy with its performance.

HA!

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
Most all, if not every HDTV Monitor that will do 1080i, will do 540p.

------------------

"Better living thru modern, expensive electronics devices"

tm

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.