AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please excuse the repetition, I've asked this question before but not received an answer other than info that's available on the Toshiba website. Has anyone had experience with the new Toshiba 57HX93 versus the 57HX83? I know all the obvious differences but are there any visual differences in picture quality? I spoke with a Toshiba customer service rep in Canada and he seemed to think the 93 was a far superior set to the 83...will not be obsolete in the future.....built in HD tuner, firewire, DVI.....but is the video portion of the set a better quality then the 83? No one can give me a straight answer on that one. Since I have to buy a separate HD decoder in order to use my local cable companies HD features, the built in decoder of the 93 just doesn't seem to be enough for the way more money.

Any input would be greatly appreciated as I am chomping at the bit to get a new set.

Thanks

Rick

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I have to agree with you, that it is difficult to find direct info. It would be nice if Toshiba had a comparision chart on their website, but they don't.

In looking at the differences between the HX83 and the HX93, all I really found of any significance, is the built-in ATSC tuner. The HX83 series only came out a few months ago. It seems that the HX93 was just a quick-turn of models to include the ATSC tuner. The RP system appears to be the same.

I am in the same boat as you are. I need to rent the HDTV box from my cable company anyway. So, having a built-in ATSC tuner, like the NTSC tuner, is of little value to me.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Ok a nother question on the tuner.... the 8VSB/QAM Tuner..... if I have digital cable from the cable company... GCI fairlanks alaska, will I still need the cable box from the cable company or will the tuner in the TV decode the digital cable?

ATR

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry to say it, but most likely you will need the cable companies decoder as they usually scamble the signal. The built in tuner is for over the air signals mostly. I believe most cable companies only send out analog signals and the decoders converts the signal.

Rick

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ATR: Almost forgot to update info from my original topic. I have done a fair amount of research and have come up with what seems like a consensus on the video difference between 83 and 93 series. The CRT's are the same, but the 93 has a different lens and a better video amplifier. The Toshiba people I have spoke with admit most people will not be able to see the difference, depending of course on the signal strength coming in. The upside appears to be for the 93, built in obsolescence has a longer time frame. I am going with the 93 once they are available way up here in the great white north.

Good luck

Rick

·
Registered
124 Posts
I've own a couple of Toshiba widescreens and have kept up on their progress over the years.

Seems like the Cinema Series gets you a much improved audio system, more sophistically styled case, and a better complement of inputs. I've never noticed a difference in picture quality. Not to say there isn't one there, but I've never seen it. Usually video stats have the same bullet points between regular and cinema series.

-spazzman

·
Registered
26 Posts
I just ordered the 65HX83 Cinema series from a local home theater store, the owner told me that as long as I was going to get HD from either satellite or cable that the HX93 wasn't nessassary, with the exception of the built in tuner and a few other options (smart media reader, etc), the picture quality was exactly the same as the 93.

the HX83 has DVI imput.:D

·
Registered
105 Posts
There are several differences between the Cinema models (HX83 & HX93) versus the standard TheaterWide models (H83). The difference between the cinema HX93 and the HX83 is that the 93 models have the built-in 8VSB and QAM tuner, but since most cable companies are putting the HD channels in their premium channel tier, which is scrambled, you will still need a cable box. The 93s also have the Gemstar IPG, 2 IEEE 1394 links, and a Dolby Digital output. All cinema sets have the same CRTs, but the 93s have a slightly different lens system: 5-element versus 4-element on the HX83 and H83 models. The cinema models also have a different CRT than the H83 models have. The cinema models also have separate Woofers and Tweeters, and the 93 models have Virtual Dolby. Also, the cinema models feature the TheaterLink IR Control System, which is very handy if you have any components hidden in cabinets.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by cohbraz
The cinema models also have separate Woofers and Tweeters, and the 93 models have Virtual Dolby.
I don't think the HX83 cinema models have separate woofers and tweeters. Just a single 16 cm speaker on each side/channel.

If by "virtual dolby" you mean the simulated surround effect, the HX83 do have that.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I was going that route too but the shields are too reflective for my taste.

My RPTV Toshiba is over 5 years old and still produces awesome colors! Just the darn shield thing gets me.

I wonder if it's removeable on the 93s?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by WaltA
I don't think the HX83 cinema models have separate woofers and tweeters. Just a single 16 cm speaker on each side/channel.

If by "virtual dolby" you mean the simulated surround effect, the HX83 do have that.
Just going by my newest Toshiba Product Guide. It actually states that the 51" and up Cinema sets have seperate Woofers and Tweeters. The 46" does not. It also shows that Virtual Dolby is a seperate audio enhancement and is different than SRS WOW, which is found on the TheaterWide units.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by WaltA

Toshiba Cinema series sets (rear projection anyways) have separate woofers and tweeters AND a separate subwoofer built into the cabinet. Have for years. I dont believe there is any other set out their that comes close to the audio performance of the Toshiba Cinema series.

-spazman

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by spazzman90
Toshiba Cinema series sets (rear projection anyways) have separate woofers and tweeters AND a separate subwoofer built into the cabinet. Have for years. I dont believe there is any other set out their that comes close to the audio performance of the Toshiba Cinema series.
I have a Toshiba Cinema Series 46HX83, and it certainly does not have woofers and tweeters, nor does it have a subwoofer.

The owners manual for entire HX83 series states that all the HX83 sets have just a 16cm speaker per side, and that is all I have. However, I can't verify that is true for any model other than my 46HX83.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Quote:
The upside appears to be for the 93, built in obsolescence has a longer time frame
I disagree because very few people are going to use the built-in tuner and if they do when they first buy the set, I can pretty much bet that they won't be using that tuner for long.

In another year, this model will most likely have an OpenCable digital cable tuner built-in. For most people, that's the point when it will become worth the extra money.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
John: Do you not think the other upgrades from the 83 to 93 make it worth the extra money? Like different Lens, Gemstar IPG, firewire, etc? I don't disagree with your thinking on the tuner...the Toshiba people seem to be really pushing the 93 series even though it is very difficult to find around here.

To tell you the truth, I am swaying back and forth between the two and the 83 I think would do just fine.

Rick

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.