AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone heard when this will be released. It was referred to at CEDIA 2004 in a Toshiba Press Release. Supposed to re released this month. But it is not even on their Web Site. If it is a few months off I am thinking of picking up the RD-XS32. I was really looking forward to the 160 GB hard Drive. It has been listed on the amazon.com site for pre-order. Is it vapor ware?

· Registered
174 Posts
Toshiba's website now has the info for the XS52...

http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/dvr/prod...?model=rd-xs52

I'm glad I decided to go with the XS32. The lack of dvd-rw support in the XS52 to me is a definite deal-killer as my PC's dvd writer doesn't support dvd-ram. With the XS52, the only way I'd be able to transfer a recording to my PC would be via dvd-r. The specs for the XS52 on Toshiba's website don't even list support for dvd-rw playback. However the specs on Amazon.com do include dvd-rw playback.

· Registered
1,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by PhoenixCoyote
I'm glad I decided to go with the XS32. The lack of dvd-rw support in the XS52 to me is a definite deal-killer
Toshiba even forgot to modify the fine print on the spec sheet. It is still stating:

"*DVD-RW Recording in the Video Format only. Playback with VR or Video format".

· Registered
28 Posts
A couple quick questions.

1. Does the RS-RX32/RS-RX52 contain Tivo? The Web site isn't entirely clear. I just want to be sure I can edit out commercials which I can't do with a Tivo unit.

2. Has the black bug error been fixed with the RX32? What are the serial numbers I should avoid if I pick up this unit.

· Registered
3,790 Posts
I believe you are referring to the RD-XS32 and 52 series in which case yes, anything recorded using either of these units will have full edit control. It is the newer TX models which use TIVO and are editable only on manual recordings, which at least they offer. As you stated using any TIVO service will cripple editing. The XS32 (which I own) is not TIVO capable so this is not an issue.

I can report no Black Bug observed with firmware ZL11 Ser. #'s 246xxxxx and above and June '04 MFG. date. I have not software tested this to obtain numerical values as some have on the previous firmware but only report visual observation from playback on many non-Tosh players both computer and standalone. I also burned a copy of my LD Video Essentials to DVD using the XS32 and routinely use this in other players. I see no Black Bug and certainly no grey shift in Blacks as earlier reported.

Obviously people have a right to be concerned after the earlier reports and testing verification of the problem. And because there still seems to be early product remaining in certain supply chains out there it does pay to be careful. Unfortunately this "Bug" fear has kept people from making what could have been a very wise purchase.

As an aside, while I would always like more capacity, more features, etc. in any purchase, I'm kinda glad I didn't go for the larger XS52 as the content pile-up would be simply out of control by now. Just my $0.02.

But for people with HD content its capabilities including storage makes perfect sense

· Registered
65 Posts
I thought that the RD-XS52 was going to have the TV Guide on screen program listings? There is no mention of this on the web site, I have e-mailed customer service and have not heard back yet.

· Registered
48 Posts
Posted this in another thread but I guess it's applicable here too:

The one thing I did notice after comparing features is that pretty much the XS32 has the exact same features as the XS52. The only difference I could see is that the XS52 has a bigger HD, HDMI, and the upconversion feature. Other than that it seemed to match feature for feature.

I also noticed that the information on the website indicated that the XS32 could burn at the same speed as the XS52. The following was listed for both:

XS52:

High-speed Dubbing DVD-RAM (12x max) DVD-R (24x max)

XS32:

High-Speed Dubbing DVD-RAM (12x max) DVD-R (24x max)

This is listed in both the specifications and the online .pdf brochures for both products.

I've previously downloaded the XS32 manual from Toshiba's website and it only mentions using 4x DVD-R.

Also, I've seen people here only using 4x DVD-R as well and some have mentioned that it's picky about the media that is used in it.

With that then what's up with this 24x stuff in all the brochures. I hadn't noticed it before but then again I don't think I bothered to look at it. Granted I don't even know if 24x media is available yet but 8x is getting a lot cheaper so it would be nice to know if they're saying that these machines will burn as fast as possible to any speed of media you give it up to 24x.

Is it something that perhaps exists in the ZL11 machines or has it always been advertised as being able to burn that fast?

Is the hardware different in the newer machines. I know someone had mentioned that the box gives you the firmware and also the drive software versions. If it's always been that way then is anybody using any media faster than 4x with the XS32?

· Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
X
Quote:
Originally posted by ClarkeBar
I believe you are referring to the RD-XS32 and 52 series in which case yes, anything recorded using either of these units will have full edit control. It is the newer TX models which use TIVO and are editable only on manual recordings, which at least they offer. As you stated using any TIVO service will cripple editing. The XS32 (which I own) is not TIVO capable so this is not an issue.

I can report no Black Bug observed with firmware ZL11 Ser. #'s 246xxxxx and above and June '04 MFG. date. I have not software tested this to obtain numerical values as some have on the previous firmware but only report visual observation from playback on many non-Tosh players both computer and standalone. I also burned a copy of my LD Video Essentials to DVD using the XS32 and routinely use this in other players. I see no Black Bug and certainly no grey shift in Blacks as earlier reported.

Obviously people have a right to be concerned after the earlier reports and testing verification of the problem. And because there still seems to be early product remaining in certain supply chains out there it does pay to be careful. Unfortunately this "Bug" fear has kept people from making what could have been a very wise purchase.

As an aside, while I would always like more capacity, more features, etc. in any purchase, I'm kinda glad I didn't go for the larger XS52 as the content pile-up would be simply out of control by now. Just my $0.02.

But for people with HD content its capabilities including storage makes perfect sense
I ended up purchasing the XS32 it had the ZL10 firmware and started with serial number of PL 245 and was made in May. The contrast issues did not appear serious to me. I have had to place a SIMA model CT-2 video stabilizer between the intake from my Dish Network receiver and the XS32 because of a copyright flag that was posted on a movie I was copying to the XS32. I therefore cannot yet comment on the contrast of the DVD when played back on my RCA DVD player. The primary reason I did not purchase the XS52 was because it did not record on DVD-RW's. Ray

· Registered
1,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Phillip Chapman
A couple quick questions.

1. Does the RS-RX32/RS-RX52 contain Tivo?
No, it doesn't have Tivo. (I would _love_ to have a Tivo unit with the editing capabilities of the RD-XS32.. I'd gladly pay for the Tivo service, at least if it were still available as a one time lifetime fee when such a hypothetical unit came out.)

· Registered
3,790 Posts
Martig,

Good Luck with the unit. Hopefully you will not have/notice any Black Bug. That consideration aside this is a killer DVR in every other respect. And as you posted it is more versatile as a burner than its successors.

Just out of curiousity where did you buy it? There still seems to be a fair number of older units out there unsold. I sourced mine a little over 1 month ago online from J&R. It was slightly more expensive than the popular Amazon pricing but I've always had great success with J&R and appreciate their strong return policy (even though I have yet to ever need to use it).

· Registered
3,790 Posts
TD1040,

I use only 4X for -R and believe there have been posts on this board about 8X not working on these units. I now think it may be more a matter of Version than of speed. One would assume a disc labeled Version 2.1/8X should be compatible but there are always other issues.

I will try to source some decent 8X this weekend if possible and give it a shot.

· Registered
721 Posts
ClarkeBar,

So the XS-32 from J&R was the newer 11 firmware? I'm kind of stuck now -- I ordered the XS-32 from Amazon, but when I went to pick it up yesterday, it was terribly damaged so I had to refuse it. Unfortunately, they have since gone out of stock on the item and provided an estimated ship date of late December. They have free shipping, but other vendors charge quite a lot for shipping to Hawaii, though I may have to resort to that. I'm SOOOOOOO disappointed -- I wanted to play with it this weekend. :(

I'm curious why Toshiba is not able to re-supply the vendor for so long. Also, this model was dropped from the Costco site. Is Toshiba trying to push the XS-52 instead? I would think they need to keep a more moderately priced/featured model easily available as well.

· Registered
76 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by TD1040
With that then what's up with this 24x stuff in all the brochures. I hadn't noticed it before but then again I don't think I bothered to look at it. Granted I don't even know if 24x media is available yet but 8x is getting a lot cheaper so it would be nice to know if they're saying that these machines will burn as fast as possible to any speed of media you give it up to 24x.
TD1040, “24x†is just marketing speak really. It’s true that the video can be High Speed dubbed at 1/24th the time it would take to play/dub it in real-time. HOWEVER it does it with a 4x speed DVD drive, and it only applies to video in the 6 hour mode. Say you have 1 hour’s worth of video recorded in 6 hour mode quality. It will occupy only 1/6th the space compared with 1 hour recorded in the 1 hour quality mode. If you’ve got 1/6th of the data to transfer and you do it on a 4x drive then it will be 24x faster overall (6 x 4 = 24). So it only applies to the lowest quality mode.

Panasonic have an additional 8 hour mode, so they can claim “32x speed†but the drive is still only 4x speed.

· Registered
3,790 Posts
Eplay,

Sorry to hear about the shipping mishap. We on the mainland are so spoiled with the ease of shipping and overnight delivery. Although I can say from personal experience I ordered a Portable storage device for my Digital camera called Cinema Disk from a well known site in Australia and the guy had it delivered to my door in Maryland using DHL in less than 2 days!!!!

As to stock it is a mystery why resupply would take so long. I think you should consider canceling this purchase and looking elsewhere, even if the S/H is steeper. This unit is worth it IMO. Of course the XS52 would be also, even with the lack of -RW.

Good Luck.

· Registered
48 Posts
OARDVD,

Thanks for the clarification. So basically it has a 4x burner in it and the 24x stuff is just a marketing gimmick. I'm more of a computer person so I just think in maximum speed of the burner. Your explanation makes sense.

ClarkeBar I guess you don't have to bother buying 8x media to test. I'm going to be buying my unit shortly and I already have some 8x media for my PC so I may try one of them in it to see how it works.

· Registered
417 Posts
I have a Toshiba RSX52 on order from a local Video Only store for $550. That seems like a good price for an over-the-counter retail outlet. I'm wondering if this new model supports recording from DVD-R to the harddrive, as you can do on the new Panasonic DMR-E95HS. Most other models haven't allowed this, enabling DVD to harddrive recording only from the RW type of disks.

A nice thing about this store is that I can buy a 5-year GE extended warranty on this model for $130. (3 years for $90.). This warranty allows you to choose a local repair shop. I've had several GE warranties and they always have authorized local service without argument. The repair shops seem quite willing to accept their warranties. With the problematic performance this type of equipment has generally show, I wouldn't want to be without an extended warranty.

The quality of the upshift to 720p and 1080i on the HDMI output will be interesting to see. Has anyone used this type of NTSC upshift from an external unit before? Watching some HDTV monitors with internal upshifting from SD DVDs and DV video, the picture quality looks very good. It amazes me that 480 lines could be turned into 1080 lines and not look bad. Another thing I haven't found in the specifications of the RSX52, is the type of camera-card slot it provides.

· Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by ClarkeBar
Martig,

Good Luck with the unit. Hopefully you will not have/notice any Black Bug. That consideration aside this is a killer DVR in every other respect. And as you posted it is more versatile as a burner than its successors.

Just out of curiousity where did you buy it? There still seems to be a fair number of older units out there unsold. I sourced mine a little over 1 month ago online from J&R. It was slightly more expensive than the popular Amazon pricing but I've always had great success with J&R and appreciate their strong return policy (even though I have yet to ever need to use it).
I purchased the XS32 at 6th Ave Electronic City on 10/15/04 for a price of $449.99. I coppied two moves from standard definitions channels on Dish Network one on SP and one on manual at a 4.0 rate. The quality of replay seemed worse than the original signal. However I was impressed when I copied Intolerable Cruelty from a High Definition channel. I did it on slow play from an anamorphic image I obtained through the 921. The replay looked Identical. No Black Bug or any other difference noted when I replayed it on my RCA DRC 350. I also copied a anamorphic DVD on SP and again there was no Black Bug noted when I replayed in on the RCA. Again there did not seem difference in the quality between the two units on replay. The quality of the image when recorded from standard definition was too poor to be able to gage any difference on the contrast or black level on the replay between units.

I am not at all as knowledgeable about computers or editing or the technical aspects of video equipment as many are on this site. However it seems there are too many variables between televisions there settings and DVD players and recorders to make a determination on the Black Bug.

· Registered
417 Posts
Since the RSX52 has 160Gb of HD storage, I'd recommend that you record TV programs at the highest or XP-mode of quality. This should make a noticeable difference in image quality in playback, even from SD sources taken off the air or from cable/satellite.

· Registered
48 Posts
I think he has the xs32 which has an 80gb hard drive.

The manual says that it recommends using a bitrate between 6 Mbps and 6.8 Mbps when setting a bitrate in manual mode (Page 41)

Obviously you can go higher than that (up to 9.2 according to the manual) but given that recommendation it makes it sound like 4 Mbps may be a little low. Anyone know what rate the SP mode records at?

I have Dish too but haven't purchased the xs32 yet. I don't have high def. via satellite though so hopefully there's a decent bitrate that can record the standard dish signal well.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.