Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Toshiba To Debut DVD/Hard Disk Video Recorder

Tokyo (JCNN) - Toshiba Corporation (TSE: 6502) has announced on march1 it will start selling the RD-Style RD-XS41, a DVD recorder that comes equipped with a 160GB hard disk.

The new recorder can record up to 208 hours of video on the disk. The personal video recorder features Toshiba's 4x DVD-R-enabled DVD Multi drive that supports DVD-RAM, DVD-R, and DVD-RW formats.

Its RD Engine incorporates newly designed hardware and software architecture to enable users to playback and edit recorded video during high-speed dubbing and recording operations.

The product also offers 24x disk-to-DVD-R recording capability.

The product is open-priced.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Why they won't announce the exact date of the new U.S. models, I still don't know! They are due out in March in the U.S. and yet they won't give total details or a date!

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I guess open-priced means we won't have an idea what it costs until it comes out?

I hope this'll have the same editing capabilities of the DMR-E80 (E85, E100, etc)??

The previous Toshiba sounded roughtly comparable to the HS2.

(I have none of these yet, and have thought I was ready to buy.. but the E85 announcement and now this may make me wait just a little bit longer to get the newer version..)

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
I bet the 24x is really 4x (like the E100) because DVDR manufacturers are invoking the misleading trend of referencing the maximum transfer rate to recording duration time for the 6 hour/disk recording mode (EP on the Panasonics) rather than the traditional method of referencing to full disk data transfer rates (full disk transferred in 1 hr equals 1x, full disk transferred in 15 min equals 4x) which is independent of the real-time duration of the recording.

·
Registered
512 Posts
quote: "Its RD Engine incorporates newly designed hardware and software architecture..."

Think 'version 1.0'.

Not to be negative here, but most of us know what NEW really means...buggy. Let's hope they get it right. I'd love to see more quality competition!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.