AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maytag has just announced something called "Skybox Personal Vending Machine." Cost is $500, it vends 66 cans, 33 bottles, or apparently, a combination of the two. You can have 4 flavor selections.

The box has built-in refrigeration (of course), needs no coins, and is smaller than a standard vending machine. It's roughly a 2 foot cube, but for another $70, you can add a stand making the unit 58" high total. It is equipped with some soda machine-like front panel lighting.

They see the primary market being "sports-on-TV" fans..and they'll be selling a bunch of customized team logos for the box. But it's certainly something to consider for home theater. And the price seems relatively reasonable.

They don't start shipping until Feb, but Amazon.com is taking preorders now.

Here's the press release:

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/030915/155287_1.html

·
Registered
183 Posts
I would be all over one of those if someone had like a $100 amazon coupon or something. ;) I can get a 4.3cu ft stainless fridge from home depot for $139 and it will hold way more, while not looking as cool...

I think for now it will be mini-fridge and matching microwave

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Thanks for the tip. I was going to have my Pepsi Display case repaired for $300. Now I may wait and check that SkyBox out first!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Some comments about the Skybox beverage dispenser.

1. To those who mentioned they can get a mini-fridge for $130 or so. Well I did call it a toy. Very true, the mini fridge is lots cheaper just as you can get a sixpack of microwave popcorn for $2.69 in lieu of a $400+ popcorn machine. But it ain't the same. I want to push a button and hear that ka-chunk when the can drops.

2. To those who wish there were a $100 or so coupon available. Well, there just might be something like that. Apparently, until Sept 30, anything you bought from Amazon's kitchen store earns a $10 Amazon future-purchase coupon for every $50 you spend. This thing, being $500, would theoretically therefore earn $100 worth of gift coupons. Not exactly the same as a discount, but Amazon has enough stuff that I'm sure I'd use them. The question is.... since the product won't be available 'til Feb, and Amazon is just ttaking "advance orders" now, would one still be eligible for the gift coupon deal? They show that deal right on the page with the product, but I'm still going to check with Amazon to be sure, since I don't think theyd actually be charging my credit card til the unit ships. But if they honor the deal, there's your $100 coupon right there.

3. Yes it does seem that they're only doing sports-related graphics for now, but I was thinking of using a bunch of those movie logo "mylars" (described in another thread here) in a collage. Seems to me that the machine front would backlight 'em.

Regards,

COMP

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good news for those looking for a "coupon or something"! According to Amazon, the unit DOES quality for the "get $10 for each $50 you spend through Sept 30" promo. So you save (get Amazon future purchase coupons) $100 for ordering the box and another $10 if you also order the stand.

I'm ordering mine today.

COMP

Amazon's reply to my query:

Thank you for writing to us at Amazon.com.

I have researched your item and see that though "SkyBox by Maytag

Personal Beverage Vendor, Pitch Black" will be released on February

1, 2004; still if you order it now it will qualify for the promotion.

I hope this solution is satisfactory. We appreciate your business

and hope to see you again soon at Amazon.com.

Best regards,

Sarfraz Hafeez

Amazon.com Customer Service
http://www.amazon.com

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
>>This item is great does anyone know the size of it?

It measures 21.25 deep by 23.62 wide by 34.25 inches high; if you add the optional stand, the total height is 57.87 inches.

COMP

·
Registered
90 Posts
out of curiosity i checked ebay and it looks like you could easily get a full size "bubble front" vending machine for about $350 -$400 and it holds 440 12 oz cans. unlike the amazon deal which includes free shipping, i'm assuming this would be very expensive to ship. plus you would need a little more space.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Ok I am Ordering mine Tomorrow. Who wants to be included if it offers me the share the Love option? If you want to send me your email address.

Ben

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Compeller
3. Yes it does seem that they're only doing sports-related graphics for now, but I was thinking of using a bunch of those movie logo "mylars" (described in another thread here) in a collage. Seems to me that the machine front would backlight 'em.
I would also think that part of a backlit movie poster would fill the space nicely.

·
Registered
71 Posts
The share the love thing.

When you buy an Item on Amazon you put in a bunch on Email addresses. Those people get an Email to buy whatever you just bought at a discount. I think it is about 10 percent usually. There is no comitment for any of the people you email to buy the item. It is free marketing for them.

Ben

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.