AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I was just wondering if anybody is seeing Crimson Tide on HBO right now (12am CST). I remember a few months ago it was shown in OAR but the PQ was horrible and I don't think it had DD5.1. However, tonight I was flipping channels and noticed that the movie was on again. To my surprise, it was a sharp, clean picture with DD5.1 BUT only in 1:85 AR. Which would you guys rather prefer, bad PQ and OAR or great PQ with DD5.1 but pan and scan?

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,648 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sanman19
Hey, I was just wondering if anybody is seeing Crimson Tide on HBO right now (12am CST).
Yes, it's a new transfer. Full 16:9, yes sir, we're getting every inch of the screen filled.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sanman19
Which would you guys rather prefer, bad PQ and OAR or great PQ with DD5.1 but pan and scan?
No contest. I'll take option 2.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
I'll take neither and just watch the 2.35:1 DTS laserdisc.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Matt_Stevens
I'll take neither and just watch the 2.35:1 DTS laserdisc.
Hey, that wasn't an option! But even if it were, I'm not so sure I'd take it (and I think I even have Crimson Tide on LD, though not DTS). I've been slowly replacing LDs with DVD equivelants for those movies that I really like, because I do feel that the quality is better (not to re-open THOSE debates, but I really notice noise now when I go back and watch my LDs). A good HD transfer should be even better. A 2.35:1 to 1.85:1 crop is not nearly as severe as a 1.85:1 to 4x3 crop... I think the quality difference between a good HD transfer and LD would be enough to sway me in that direction despite the cropping. Assuming, of course, there's no recompression of the HD feed to reduce it's quality. :)

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Tomy Scott uses every inch of the widescreen frame and tghe constant cropping drove me crazy, so I gave my HBO DVHS recording to my father, who cares less about that sort of thing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.