AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
i too am waiting on this projector to be reviewed by those on this forum.

There has been a few posts from people who have seen demo models at various shows; sadly the reports were mixed, saying at the end that "maybe it will be improved when the production starts" (contrast and blacks were the complaint).

Someone also stated that the contrast ration is actually 500:1.

In any case I'm hoping that it turns out to be a great projector for HT!

------------------

Jim Story

Live long and Prosper

·
Registered
411 Posts
Is this new Sanyo unit going to have the micro-lens technology that reduces pixel structure? If it does then this machine may be a dlp/dila killer.

You know for the same price you can buy one hundred 4 head VCRs. I wonder what it would cost if it were really mass produced in VCR like volumes. Perhaps $500.? Everyone could have home theater then.

Christopher

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
Just wish it was 2500 lumens.

------------------

Ken Elliott

·
Registered
44 Posts
The contrast spec is indeed now down to 500:1. The model I saw earlier this week was nowhere near this (more like 100:1) - even the low price PLC-SW10 showed more contrast. The high resolution is nice though if you have an HD source.

Lamp is 250W NSH, brightness 1200 lumens.

Holger

·
Registered
411 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Holger Klingspohr:
The contrast spec is indeed now down to 500:1. The model I saw earlier this week was nowhere near this (more like 100:1) - even the low price PLC-SW10 showed more contrast.

Holger
---

Hopefully what you saw was a preproduction model without the micro-lens array. I doubt they would advertise 500:1 or better contrast and then come out with something no better than the Sony.

Christopher

·
Registered
44 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Christopher Calder:
---

Hopefully what you saw was a preproduction model without the micro-lens array. I doubt they would advertise 500:1 or better contrast and then come out with something no better than the Sony.
I would think so - if it were finished they would be selling it already.

I cannot find any reference to an MLA in the brochure. (The XP18 is specified at 700:1 contrast and has no MLA either, so I guess its main function is increasing the light output.)

Holger

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
The XP21N demo projector being passed around has a bona fide 600:1 on-off contrast ratio. I would hope that they could do at least as well with 1300 lumens.

------------------

Ken Elliott

·
Registered
484 Posts
Holger,

The spec on the Sanyo (US) web site says 700:1. Where did you hear that the spec had dropped to 500:1?

Thx,

John

------------------

John

·
Premium Member
944 Posts
I measured the Sanyo 21 at 648 to 1 contrast ratio. (on/off test)

Not bad for an LCD.

Don

·
Registered
44 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Endymion:
The spec on the Sanyo (US) web site says 700:1. Where did you hear that the spec had dropped to 500:1?
John,

you are absolutely right (the German press release, dated March 1, also states 700:1). I was actually quoting from the Eiki LC-VC1 spec sheet. Sanyo is OEM for Eiki and so far, the technical specs for Eiki and Sanyo projectors have been identical - Eiki do state 700:1 contrast for their XP18/XP21 counterparts, for example. Why there is a difference wrt PLV60 contrast I have no idea. I just assumed the Eiki brochure was more up to date - my mistake.

So there is still hope! (just kidding - 500:1 is also pretty decent)

Btw, the Eiki spec sheet is at http://www.eiki.de/produkte/lcd/vc1.htm (yes, German again I'm afraid; at least you don't have to install a new character set).

Holger

·
Registered
484 Posts
Thx Holger.

I had been planning to buy the 21N. It looks like the PLV60 might be a worth a look.

John

------------------

John

·
Registered
471 Posts
Watch the fan noise specification, 37 dBA. This thing might be more noisy than you think...

------------------

-Torgeir

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm curious on a comparison between the PLV60 and SIM2 HT250...

Any comments? It seems as a fight between DLP x LCD... who's going to win, now that Sanyo achieved 700:1 contrast?

Paulo

·
Registered
411 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tlastrange:
Could have been there but I don't remember seeing this a week or so ago:

http://www.sanyolcd.com/products/plv-60.html

--

Tom L.
I see no mention of Micro-lens Array? Does this mean the unit will have the same screen door effect as the Sony?

DIGITAL PROGRESSIVE SCANNING - Proprietary SANYO digital progressive scanning doubles the video information being sent to the projector, substantially increasing video-image detail and resolution. Each pixel is monitored using SANYO's original motion detection algorithm to ensure increased vertical resolution and crisper moving images.

DIGITAL REALIZED VIDEO SCALING - SANYO's advanced digital signal processing circuit and automatic color correction circuit together ensure the highest color accuracy possible and dramatically enhance image-edge detail.

COMPONENT VIDEO INPUTS - The PLV-60 comes with component video inputs and a newly developed Digital RGB Matrix IC that makes projection of DVD (Y/Cb/Cr) and HDTV (Y/Pb/Pr) possible.

HDTV COMPATIBLE - The SANYO PLV-60 is High Definition Television Compatible, accepting the 1080i, 1035i, 720p, 575p, 575i, 480p and 480i HDTV resolution standards.

POWER LENS SHIFT - The 10° up/down power lens shift feature allows for greater placement flexibility by raising or lowering the image without having to move the projector.

DIGITAL KEYSTONE CORRECTION SANYO's digital keystone correction feature compensates for angled projector placement by digitally altering the pixels to produce undistorted images.

WHISPER QUIET FAN - The PLV-60 employs a new Whisper Quiet fan which produces an amazingly low noise level of only 37 dBA.

OPTIONAL LENSES - While the standard lens that comes with the PLV-60 gives plenty of flexibility for a wide variety of applications, optional wide-zoom and long-zoom lenses are also available to provide even greater flexibility.

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
I don't understand why its got a bigger bulb than the XP21N and half the light output.

???

------------------

Ken Elliott

·
Registered
367 Posts
I was the guy who posted that the PLV-60 contrast ratio is dropped to 500:1.

See: http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum10/HTML/005198.html

Sanyo has announced its Japanese model of PLV-60, LP-W1000, for its domestic market, and in that, it says 500:1.

Secondly, I was in INFOCOMM ASIA, (see my other post here:
http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum10/HTML/005375.html)

And Sanyo gave out the spec sheet of PLV-60, it also says 500:1. Based on the fact that INFOCOMM ASIA is just 2 weeks ago, I would guess that is the most recent spec, than the Sanyo web site. However, if Sanyo is playing trick with us trying to let us believe it's 500:1, and in fact is 700:1, is not totally impossible!! :)

However, in INFOCOMM ASIA, the spec sheets of XP-18 and 21 are still 700:1. My speculation is that, 18 and 21 are using XGA panel, the PLV-60 is using Sony's other 1366x768 panel. Different panel matching with the new high contrast polarizer generate different contrast ratio. Any other theory?

I've seen PLV-60 in action in INFOCOMM ASIA, it still has some flaws. With HD, it's gorgeous, very much like watching through a CRT TV. But with DVD, in the darker image, it still does not perform well, compared to Mitsubishi's 550:1 L-2000V.

Tzung-I

(how do you turn on the HTML link in a post?)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.