AVS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I'm upgrading my HTPC, and just installed a Hauppauge Win TV HVR-2250. Installation appeared to go well, but I am unable to receive a single OTA channel in WMC. I am able to receive some, but not all OTA channels on the included WinTV software. That tells me the card must be installed correctly.

The connection to the antennae is good, I have a pre-amp installed, and I pick up every channel very clearly when the cable is attached directly to my TV. I'm using the same cable to connect to my HTPC. It took lots of fiddling before the Hauppauge detected any channels at all. I now get about 50% of the channels through WinTV. When I scan with WMC it indicates it cannot detect any television signal. I've retried several times, and configured it manually, but nothing works. All drivers and software are up to date.

Any ideas or advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
212 Posts
The Hauppauge may not have the same sensitivity that your TV has. I had a 2250 years ago and was really happy with the performance on OTA. In my case I used a carefully selected outdoor antenna that didn't require a pre-amp.

Check with tvfool.com and antennaweb.org to determine if your antenna selection and installation is up to par. If you have installed your antenna in the attic; building materials may cause significant signal attenuation.

I am not on my HTPC right now; make sure that you have selected ATSC mode in WMC. (OTA vs QAM/cable)

BTW: Make sure that your are using RG6 cable!!! RG59 just isn't good enough.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts