AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to Home Theatres but certainly want to build one.

So far have bought a Sony 46" XBR4.

Next will be figuring out what to do for the sound.

Sound for now, I'm using stereo equipment from the 80's.

Harmon Kardon 330i receiver (found this in the garbage last year with only one channel working. Electrical tech at work sprayed some WD40 in the balance control which opened up the other channel. Removed the white powder that developed over time on the plates in the balance control. A trick he knew.

Pair of B&W 530 speakers.

CD 75II Marantz CD player from the UK which today will not power up.

DVD S24 Panasonic DVD Player

PV4651 Panasonic VHS player

HD3250 Scientific Atlantic Cable Box

Started looking at audio equipment and so far like the look and sound of the Paradigm Millenia 300. Wife also likes the look and sound. Heard these through an ARCAM AVR350.

Will be reading other threads to educate myself better and will most likely be posting questions. I have many but will try to answer some through self education before posting.

Short term goal is to set system up in the family room. Long term goal is to build theatre in the basement and then move all equipment down stairs. Since my current equipment lasted over 20 years, I fully expect what I buy to also last me at least 20 years. I will pay extra for quality to make it last.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Thirty lashes with a wet noodle for not posting pics.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK croseiv here are a few photos of the old audio with the new video.

Note the old coffee table for the TV stand, the old TV stand to hold the VCR, DVD and cable box. And finally the blocks of wood to keep the reciever off the carpet. Not to worry, I do plan to draw something up to hold all the equipment. I'll get the Menonites to make it out of solid oak. It will hold everything including storage for videos, DVDs and CDs. Will probably be 8 feet wide, tinted glass doors and have a back section to hide all the cables.

Do I still have to have 30 lashes with a wet noodle?

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
No lashes! Looks great. Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I have now purchased a NAD T785 AVR along with the new NAD T587 Blue-ray player. For speakers they are Monitor Audio Silver RS8s for fronts, RSLCR for Centre, RSFX for surrounds and RSW12 for sub.

Hopefully will get the equipment later this week. Then the daunting task of hooking it all up and running cables through the walls to the surrounds.

Thanks to this forum for all the on-line comments and opinions of the various equipment but it really does come down to listening to different systems to see what sounds best to your ears.

Will post some pics once set-up. Still need to decide on a cabinet to hold everything.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts