AVS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a DLP Panasonic 44". Recently, been getting dim lamp so I though I just upgrade my TV. I had it for 8+ years after all. I mostly use it to watch BlueRay, Video Games (Xbox) and some sports.

I almost always use it at night so I have my lights on in my apartment (flood lights). I am looking for a good picture quality TV (50-60"). My price range is 800-1300.

Can someone recommend a TV for me?

·
Banned
10,026 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by magawake  /t/1520889/new-tv-advise/0_60#post_24436317

i have a DLP Panasonic 44". Recently, been getting dim lamp so I though I just upgrade my TV. I had it for 8+ years after all. I mostly use it to watch BlueRay, Video Games (Xbox) and some sports.

I almost always use it at night so I have my lights on in my apartment (flood lights). I am looking for a good picture quality TV (50-60"). My price range is 800-1300.

Can someone recommend a TV for me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by irkuck  /t/1520889/new-tv-advise/0_60#post_24436497

Pls move your request to the LCD Flat Panel Displays forum.

Not so fast.  He might be a good candidate for a plasma.  He always uses it at night with interior lights.

Reactions: gus738

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024  /t/1520889/new-tv-advise#post_24437243

Not so fast.  He might be a good candidate for a plasma.  He always uses it at night with interior lights.

heh. Thanks. Not always at night but I would say 80% at night with lights. I will move the thread.

·
Registered
44 Posts

Sorry to hijack the thread, can someone point me to the appropriate forum where I can ask for general help in choosing a TV (still not decided between Plasma or LCD)?

·
Registered
8,210 Posts

·
Registered
3,921 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mile13  /t/1520889/new-tv-advise#post_24442329

This is the right Forum for that (that's why it is called Flat Panels General). You can also visit the Plasma or LCd Forum.

LCd Forum
http://www.avsforum.com/f/166/lcd-flat-panel-displays

Plasma Forum
http://www.avsforum.com/f/167/plasma-flat-panel-displays

Yes, it is the right forum if your wish to discuss generally Plasma vs. LCD but it is hard to add anything new to this so please read first what was said before.

This forum is not right for questions "pls advise for new 50-60", budget 800-1300".

·
Banned
10,026 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by irkuck  /t/1520889/new-tv-advise/0_60#post_24443428

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mile13  /t/1520889/new-tv-advise#post_24442329

This is the right Forum for that (that's why it is called Flat Panels General). You can also visit the Plasma or LCd Forum.

LCd Forum
http://www.avsforum.com/f/166/lcd-flat-panel-displays

Plasma Forum
http://www.avsforum.com/f/167/plasma-flat-panel-displays

Yes, it is the right forum if your wish to discuss generally Plasma vs. LCD but it is hard to add anything new to this so please read first what was said before.

This forum is not right for questions "pls advise for new 50-60", budget 800-1300".

If someone's open to either plasma or LCD, you're saying to want his request for help in the LCD forum?

Reactions: gus738

·
Registered
3,921 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024  /t/1520889/new-tv-advise#post_24443978

If someone's open to either plasma or LCD, you're saying to want his request for help in the LCD forum?

This forum is about General aspects of FP display technology but let's not hide the main issue here . Everybody knows that the LCD and Plasma forums are totally overflooded with questions about buying those 50-60 inchers with the budget of $800. If one opens gates to such questions here this forums becomes unreadable too. Now what should be done to those other fora to make them readable is the question directed to the AVS management.

·
Registered
8,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by irkuck  /t/1520889/new-tv-advise#post_24445774

Quote:

This forum is about General aspects of FP display technology but let's not hide the main issue here . Everybody knows that the LCD and Plasma forums are totally overflooded with questions about buying those 50-60 inchers with the budget of $800. If one opens gates to such questions here this forums becomes unreadable too. Now what should be done to those other fora to make them readable is the question directed to the AVS management.

Like i said i believe that the ''what should i buy, Plasma or LCd?'' question belongs here because this is the only Flat Panel Display Forum were lots of Plasma and LCd owners hang out. The ''which LCd should i buy?'' question belongs in the LCd Forum and the ''which Plasma should i buy?" question belongs in the Plasma Forum AFAIK

btw for the time being the OLED Flat Panel Displays Forum is a part of this Forum

·
Banned
10,026 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mile13  /t/1520889/new-tv-advise/0_60#post_24453013

Quote:
Originally Posted by irkuck  /t/1520889/new-tv-advise#post_24445774

Quote:

Like i said i believe that the ''what should i buy, Plasma or LCd?'' question belongs here because this is the only Flat Panel Display Forum were lots of Plasma and LCd owners hang out. The ''which LCd should i buy?'' question belongs in the LCd Forum and the ''which Plasma should i buy?" question belongs in the Plasma Forum AFAIK

btw for the time being the OLED Flat Panel Displays Forum is a part of this Forum

·
Registered
3,921 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024  /t/1520889/new-tv-advise#post_24453278

Yes.  AVS management needs to decide what to do about this in the longer term, but for the short term if there is no other place for such questions (and there are not) then they belong here.  I don't see any other solution.  If there's a generic question that involves a potential plasma, then where else? Perhaps a dedicated forum for "What TV Should I Buy?" ..... (OYE!)

Very reasonable suggestion. But unlikely to be satisfied if one understands how the economy based on clicking goes. So keep please such questions out of here if you wish to continue in this still comfortable place.

·
Banned
10,026 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by irkuck  /t/1520889/new-tv-advise/0_60#post_24455260

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024  /t/1520889/new-tv-advise#post_24453278

Yes.  AVS management needs to decide what to do about this in the longer term, but for the short term if there is no other place for such questions (and there are not) then they belong here.  I don't see any other solution.  If there's a generic question that involves a potential plasma, then where else? Perhaps a dedicated forum for "What TV Should I Buy?" ..... (OYE!)

Very reasonable suggestion. But unlikely to be satisfied if one understands how the economy based on clicking goes. So keep please such questions out of here if you wish to continue in this still comfortable place.

You seem to be saying: "there's no place for his question, so ask AVS management, but don't put them here."  Correct?

·
Registered
3,921 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024  /t/1520889/new-tv-advise#post_24455462

You seem to be saying: "there's no place for his question, so ask AVS management, but don't put them here."  Correct?

It is evident some clever folks would like to circumvent the mess of the LCD forum and put their questions about buying

$800 TVs here which is in clear disagreement with the Flat Panel General intention. Allowing for this would open floodgates

and soon this forum would be like the LCD. The problem is thus not here but in the LCD forum.

·
Banned
10,026 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by irkuck  /t/1520889/new-tv-advise/0_60#post_24458421

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024  /t/1520889/new-tv-advise#post_24455462

It is evident some clever folks would like to circumvent the mess of the LCD forum and put their questions about buying

$800 TVs here which is in clear disagreement with the Flat Panel General intention. Allowing for this would open floodgates

and soon this forum would be like the LCD. The problem is thus not here but in the LCD forum.

Coincidentally I've already asked for a owner-thread subforum to the LCD forum.  But I still don't understand your answer:  IF HE'S OPEN TO PLASMA, why is that a problem of the LCD forum?

·
Registered
3,921 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024  /t/1520889/new-tv-advise#post_24458859

But I still don't understand your answer:  IF HE'S OPEN TO PLASMA, why is that a problem of the LCD forum?

If he has question about $800 55-60" plasma it can easily be directed to the Plasma forum. Now, having the hints about the LCD in the same class he might have question about the relative merits of plasma vs. LCD in order to make final decision. Such question would be absolutely legitimate and welcomed in this forum. There is however one problem: merits of plasma vs. LCD were discussed for years and there are tons of information on this. Nobody is able to provide anything new in this topic, such question would be just a sign of ignorance/laziness in using basic search tool.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
i agree , now saying that i will say that no tv technology is perfect , both lcd and plasma are reflective , plasma is not a heat hog lcd has improved on viewing angles i prefer a more realistic lifelike cinematic feel then a overly bright pop wow factor cartoonish look that lcd do .

1 - 17 of 17 Posts