AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It looks like California will pass strict energy efficiency laws for new TVs beginning in 2011. I've read elsewhere that currently no plasmas would meet the standards that Cal. would impose. Does anyone else have any more insight about what the manufacturers may have in mind? Are the new generations going to be much more efficient?


It looks like I'm going to have to upgrade my 7G Pio to a new Kuro soon. The Times article mentions that mail orders may thrive in California as a result of this law. However, with an item like a 60 inch plasma, I'm more inclined to buy local.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...,2869589.story
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,438 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylan24 /forum/post/15447533


It looks like California will pass strict energy efficiency laws for new TVs beginning in 2011. I've read elsewhere that currently no plasmas would meet the standards that Cal. would impose. Does anyone else have any more insight about what the manufacturers may have in mind? Are the new generations going to be much more efficient?


It looks like I'm going to have to upgrade my 7G Pio to a new Kuro soon. The Times article mentions that mail orders may thrive in California as a result of this law. However, with an item like a 60 inch plasma, I'm more inclined to buy local.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...,2869589.story

Much more efficient plasmas should be available by then. They have already been shown in prototype form by Panasonic and Pioneer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,186 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenland /forum/post/15448456


My friend,


Pioneer, Hitachi, LG, and Panasonic have been certified as 3.0 compliant.


http://techblips.dailyradar.com/stor...s_energy_star/

Sorry, I was just trying to point out how Samsung and Panasonic were seperated from other PDP manufacturers. Pioneer being the best and closest to the spec.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,590 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrox /forum/post/15448606


Sorry, I was just trying to point out how Samsung and Panasonic were seperated from other PDP manufacturers. Pioneer being the best and closest to the spec.

Fair enough. Sorry for the misunderstanding. Regardless, they all have made impressive strides in energy efficiency. I am impressed by the following statement:


" TVs meant expensive and power hungry electronic, but those days are fading. Three of the largest players in the plasma world now have Energy Star Certified models which is a big feat. This means that a 42-inch PDP cannot consume more than 208 watts while on and less than a watt in standby mode"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
870 Posts
nice graph...it puts the plasma heat and energy myths to an end...that graph 4 years ago would have been a much different storey.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,187 Posts
The following link sorts all plasma displays by power consumed when turned on:
http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?...=on_mode_power


Of the leading brands the current Pioneer Elites are the hottest, especially the 50 inch. Anyone should be able to feel the heat radiating from the front, even at five feet away.



Realize this current generation will be made obsolete at the CES next week.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
73 Posts
wonder if this spec is true

Model #: PDP-6020FD Product Type: Television (TV)

Manufacturer: Pioneer Corporation

Brand Name: Pioneer

Model Name / Model Number: Flat Panel TV / PDP-6020FD

Technology: Both


Viewable Diagonal Screen Size: 59.9 Inches


On Mode Power: 355.6 W


Standby Power Consumption 0.21 W


Estimated Annual Energy Use: 650 kWh/year
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,438 Posts


I'd like to see the proof behind that statement. All of the measurements I have ever seen don't indicate anything like that. Yes the power usage of the bulk of current plasmas is somewhat higher than LCDs (excluding LED-backlit ones) and both types of TV use somewhat more energy than CRTs (which had much smaller screens of course) but hardly 3 times the energy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,368 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwwTOPDJcom /forum/post/15493211


wonder if this spec is true

Model #: PDP-6020FD Product Type: Television (TV)

Manufacturer: Pioneer Corporation

Brand Name: Pioneer

Model Name / Model Number: Flat Panel TV / PDP-6020FD

Technology: Both


Viewable Diagonal Screen Size: 59.9 Inches


On Mode Power: 355.6 W


Standby Power Consumption 0.21 W


Estimated Annual Energy Use: 650 kWh/year


maybe in full contrast, full brightness, 100% white for the entire screen... which never happen in real world.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,368 Posts


maybe the full statement is as follows:


the average 50" plasma TV uses more than three times as much energy as an old 13" CRT set. and 48" plasma TV showing full-field 100% white with full contrast and brightness settings turned up can draw more power than a large but unplugged refrigerator...




The quoted statement above is the biggest BS I've ever seen.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,272 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwwTOPDJcom /forum/post/15493211


wonder if this spec is true

Model #: PDP-6020FD Product Type: Television (TV)

Manufacturer: Pioneer Corporation

Brand Name: Pioneer

Model Name / Model Number: Flat Panel TV / PDP-6020FD

Technology: Both


Viewable Diagonal Screen Size: 59.9 Inches


On Mode Power: 355.6 W


Standby Power Consumption 0.21 W


Estimated Annual Energy Use: 650 kWh/year
http://kuro9g.blogspot.com/2009/01/p...nsumption.html
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,901 Posts


Then again...there has never been a 48" plasma. But I guess if this mythical beast existed it would suck enough power to light up a small town for a week.



I have never measured the draw from any of my plasmas...but I do know that when I got my first over 4 years ago there was noticeable difference in my electric bill versus using my old 32" Sony tube tv. I now have 3 plasmas...but rarely is there more than one on at any one time.
 
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Top