AVS Forum banner

New TV for transfer to UK

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Extreme_Boky 
#1 ·
Hi,

There is a good chance I am going to be moving to the UK from the US in the near future. I was thinking of trying to buy a LCD TV here in the US that will work in the UK. I understand they are on 220V at 50hz and are on PAL.

Anyone have any advice? I saw that some online stores sell "Multisystem" LCD's. Is that what I need? I figure I can save some money if I get it before I go....my company is paying to ship my stuff over there and with the exchange rate and VAT tax I think I will come out ahead if I can get some stuff now, maybe a blue-ray too.

I can't find much info, but am hoping someone here knows.

Thanks!

#4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikifrei /forum/post/0

Hi,

There is a good chance I am going to be moving to the UK from the US in the near future. I was thinking of trying to buy a LCD TV here in the US that will work in the UK. I understand they are on 220V at 50hz and are on PAL.

Anyone have any advice? I saw that some online stores sell "Multisystem" LCD's. Is that what I need? I figure I can save some money if I get it before I go....my company is paying to ship my stuff over there and with the exchange rate and VAT tax I think I will come out ahead if I can get some stuff now, maybe a blue-ray too.

I can't find much info, but am hoping someone here knows.

Thanks!

I recommend purchasing consumer electronics like TVs in the country you intend on using them.

If you want to take your chances and buy a TV in the US and have it shipped overseas, make sure it has a 110 - 240V / 50 - 60Hz auto-switching power supply. You will also need it to accept 50Hz (i.e. 1080p/50) input signals because this signaling is the standard in the UK. I do not know of any TV's in the US that accept 50Hz sources. Unless you have Blu-ray's you plan on taking to the UK, just buy a player when you get there. Region free and 1080p/25 compatibility will require a specialized player or PC-based solution.

There's a good chance you'll run into issues with electronics other than computers, electric shavers, travel clocks, etc. specifically made for worldwide use.

Cheers

#5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTMVinnie /forum/post/20430154

I recommend purchasing consumer electronics like TVs in the country you intend on using them.

This.

Get things like TVs and appliances once you get there. You'll pay a hefty premium for multisystem TVs and other video equipment. I bought a VCR once for my Dad who is from the old country and has a lot of media that is recorded in PAL. Feature for feature, it was significantly higher priced (at least 50% more expensive) than a regular VCR.

#6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikifrei /forum/post/19545463

Hmm....anyone have a idea where I should go ask if no one here knows?

There are 2 things to be careful about:

1. The power supply should be 110 - 240V AC ("auto-sensing")

2. The tuner should be PAL compatible

No 2. is important only if you’ll be using in-built tuner for free-to-air reception…

Boky

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.