AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks, just took delivery of an LG 42LN5400 LED.

Using it the same way as my last 40" Techwood, hooked up for TV and PC use. Never had a problem with that set up.

So the packaging was perfect, not a mark on it. I turned it on. To my dismay, horizontal lines covering the screen

Here are some pics of the problem.

Now I've tried all the different settings I can see to correct the issue, which is the same whether on TV or PC source.

I'm hoping it's something like a setting adjustment rather than a faulty TV, so can anyone tell me what this issue is, or does it look like a return job?

I've already contacted the seller but it's after sales hours, so I dunno when I'll hear back from them.

Cheers guys

·
Banned
5,023 Posts
That looks odd. I have an LG 42LN5300 and a Sony 40R453A nothing like that on those 2 sets or the 60" Sammie plasma either . What about turning sharpness to 0 ?

or turning off all the picture enhancements in expert one mode? maybe brightness at 50-60 ?

Reactions: Superneat

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers pal, I tried that already, no joy.

It's not bad watching movies/playing games, but the minute there is a bit of white on the screen, you can see the lines a mile off.

And it seems the left side of the screen is worse than the right, which leads me to believe that it may be a faulty unit

·
Banned
5,023 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superneat  /t/1522112/new-tv-is-it-damaged#post_24470925

Cheers pal, I tried that already, no joy.

It's not bad watching movies/playing games, but the minute there is a bit of white on the screen, you can see the lines a mile off.

And it seems the left side of the screen is worse than the right, which leads me to believe that it may be a faulty unit

probaly a board or panel fault

My LG 42LN5300 isn't real great picture wise but not altogether terrible and otherwise functions . I gave it to my son after 2 weeks and bought a Sony KDL 40R450A with a Samsing SPVA panel for my bedroom much better picture .

The LN5XXX LG's use low contrast LG IPS panels good view angle but sacrifice picture quality as opposed Samsung SPVA or AUO VA panels that usually offer much better contrast and picture quality . I would personally prefer a Samsung or Sony or Toshiba with one of those panels .

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Was thinking as much

TBH the picture isn't that bad, compared to my old set it's an improvement. I think I'll return this and opt for a samsung model to replace it.

Cheers

·
Banned
5,023 Posts
The best set's IMO I've found of this type were the Samsung,Sony and the 42" Panasonic .

when I was shopping . I was also thinking about a 40" Toshiba ( I have a 32" with an excellent picture ) but they did not have any to see at BB or anywhere locally. .

I thought the 40" Sony 40R450A ,40" Samsung UNEH 5300/5500 and the 42" Panasonic were the best LED/LCD at the ~$ 500.00 price range

All 3 were very good IMO. I ended up with the Sony but IMO either of the other 2 would have been fines as well

1 - 6 of 6 Posts