AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My old Proscan 27" set is falling further and further behind the size and technology curves. It seemed big when we bought it a few years ago, and I guess it sort of was large compared to our previous 19" set. But today... it just doesn't cut it.

Uses: Plain old television...analog cable right now, then DirecTV within a month or two. Lots of DVDs. HDTV is only a vague possibility in the near to medium future, except to the extent that DirecTV offers it. But I don't want to blow a bunch of dough on a TV with no future protection, so let's say that HDTV support is a must.

Constraints: We bought a nice armoire a couple of years ago, and my wife is quite attached to it. Whatever we get has to fit inside it. This has several consequences: only a 4:3 display; no more than 38" wide or 22" depth, unless I want to cut a hole in the back of the armoire (a posiblility, but I'd rather not go there if I don't have to). Chairs are arranged in a wide semicircle around the armoire, which means that I need something with very wide off-axis viewing. The TV shelf is removable, so I can fit either a direct view OR a "tabletop" RPTV inside. E.g. the Toshiba 43" 4:3 RPTVs fit inside.

Seems to me that my problem is that (1) only a shallow RPTV will fit the cabinet, but (2) only a direct view TV has decent off-axis viewing.

Ideas? Recommendations? Thanks in advance for any help!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.