AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a lot of hand wringing, etc. I pulled the trigger on the warehouse version of the Toshiba 36HF73 (no DVI input...but everything else!). The picture looks great, but I have questions:

1) I have both cable and Direct-TV coming in on the same co-ax cable (how/why the installer did this--who knows). The TV is PIP capable. DO I just run a splitter from the directTv "out" cable and then to ant-1 and ant-2?

2) I now need a DVD player. I am looking at a Sony Progressive scan. WOuld it be best through S video and normal sound? This is a 2nd TV so no receiver...

3) IF I do go HDTV with Direct-TV---do I need a new dish...new set-top box....what?

I appreciate the help/advice given to me here.

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
For a progressive scan DVD player you need to use component video (RGB cable) if you want to activate progressive mode. s-video is for interlaced only. If your cable box or direct-tv receiver outputs composite or s-video use that instead of RF. Yes you need a different dish and STB for HD direct-tv and then use component video output for that.

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
Of course the signal format is Y-Pb-Pr, but I was just referring to the colors of the cable used so he could distinguish it from composite and s-video.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bruni7890
After a lot of hand wringing, etc. I pulled the trigger on the warehouse version of the Toshiba 36HF73 (no DVI input...but everything else!). The picture looks great, but I have questions:

1) I have both cable and Direct-TV coming in on the same co-ax cable (how/why the installer did this--who knows). The TV is PIP capable. DO I just run a splitter from the directTv "out" cable and then to ant-1 and ant-2?

2) I now need a DVD player. I am looking at a Sony Progressive scan. WOuld it be best through S video and normal sound? This is a 2nd TV so no receiver...

3) IF I do go HDTV with Direct-TV---do I need a new dish...new set-top box....what?

I appreciate the help/advice given to me here.
1) No, you can't split satellite. How are you watching both cable and Satellite now?

2) Progressive is better. What's your definition of normal sound? You will need a Home theatre receiver of some sort to get dolby/dts surround sound.

3) Yes and Yes. I'm assuming you don't already have the triple lnb dish. Does your dish have three nodes sticking out of it? If not you need a new dish.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.