AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had my old 32" RCA go out so I wanted to replace it with a low priced, similar replacement. Don't want to spend any more money than necessary because I'm building my theater this winter. There seem to be a bunch available around $400 retail so I took a stab with a JVC 32" AV32432 from Best Buy. I hate it! The picture quality was noticeably poor from the first minute running through TiVo. There are VERY obvious "glares" around the network graphics and titles on the screen. The overall picture quality seems very grainy.

The RCA I had before was an older model that didn't even have s-video inputs. This JVC has composite, S-Video AND component inputs and also includes a 3 line digital comb filter. All of which I thought would contribute to a better picture. I was originally using the composite inputs (since that's all I had in the past) and was disappointed so I switched to the S-video to bypass the comb filter (I thought). Bad picture quality remained unchanged.

Is this a hookup or adjustment problem?? Or just a crappy TV? The picture quality in the store looked okay (which is rare in the big box stores...) but they were running a high def feed to all of the regular def TVs.

I'm confused....any ideas?

·
Registered
10,500 Posts
I'm not that famailiar with the JVCs. They generally seem to have superior PQ though. If it's a digital TV though, then it may not do as good a job on analog sources as your older TV which could probably pass those signals w/o any A/D-D/A processing. Just a guess. Have you tried calibrating it with the THX optimizer included on many DVDs, or AVIA or Video Essentials to see if that helps at all?

Just posted some suggestions re THX here FWIW.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.