Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
 http://utv.uvsc.edu

While investigating PVRs and UltimateTV the last few months I found myself studying this forum and the tivocommunity forum and other sources of information. In the process I was unable to find any onofficial, private web pages dedicated to UltimateTV. Not that there isn't one, but I was unable to find one.

So, being a dedicated, very happy UltimateTV user I decided to put up this UltimateTV web page. Its primary purpose is to help newbies like me access helpful information without performing massive yahoo and google searches. Hopefully it will help increase interest in UltimateTV as well.

I plan on keeping the page reasonably updated as time will permit. (Can't take too much time away from UltimateTV.) I welcome any corrections and suggestions. Much of the information on the page was and will be taken from this forum. I have tried to give credit where credit is due, and if anyone is accidentally slighted, let me know and I will fix it as quickly as possible.

I have little experience in web design so please excuse design faults you might find there. I used Microsoft's Frontpage as the development platform since it is quite easy to learn and use. Also, the host computer is connected to a fast, broadband link, but I haven't been able to test it properly. The computer itself is a humble P3 450 Mhz, but I don't plan on getting enough traffic to strain it. I hope it works for most of you out there.

Check it out and see what you think!

Address issues regarding the web page to [email protected]

·
Registered
165 Posts
Nice page. Thanks for the link.

·
Registered
83 Posts
schorne:

What a wonderful site!

I've just ordered 2 UTV's and I've been scouring the web looking for all the tips and tricks I can find. Your site is a wonderful resource.

·
Registered
248 Posts
That is a great site. Good work.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I agree, it's a great site. Hopefully will give one-stop-shopping for new (and old) UTV users.

On the problem solving page, you may want to emphasize that UTV units appear to be very sensitive to heat issues. Do not block the vents to the UTV unit or store it in an entertainment center that blocks air flow. This could cause the unit to heat up (both the tuners and the hard drive put out heat) and cause all sorts of flaky problems or damage to the UTV unit itself. Many mysterious problems suddenly seem to disappear once the unit is allowed to cool off.

I saw one person on this forum who even installed fans inside his UTV unit. I'm not saying you have to go that far, but don't stack other electronic components (DVD, VCR, stereo, etc.) on top or on the side of your UTV unit and don't put it in a glassed-in cabinet with other heat-producing electronic components.

I've got my UTV on an open shelf in my entertainment center all by itself and, while warm, it doesn't seem to get too hot and I haven't had any problems with my unit in the 6 months I've had it (knock wood). I also turn off my unit every night (when it is not recording something else) and that's probably not a bad idea, either, as the tuners do put out a lot of heat.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the post Zarkov. I have updated the page with your text. I remember seeing something about it a while back and forgot. Takes a while to go back through loads of posts. The one receiver I have had to reset was one fully enclosed in an entertainment center. It may well be heat that caused a problem requiring a reset. Since I want the receiver in that cabinet, I am going to have to either leave the doors ajar or maybe cut a hole in the back of the cabinet.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The page is a great help to a newbie like me. Thanks!

I'm learning something new about my UTV each day. With the info I got from avsforum on multiswitches, and my oddball Primestar wiring, it took me about two minutes in the attic to get the UTV to full speed.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I only have one comment :)

your front page mentions that you should have UTV if you're willing to spend $50/month

this could be a little misleading, since it may make UTV sound more expensvie than it really is..

·
Registered
165 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by conroy9
I only have one comment :)

your front page mentions that you should have UTV if you're willing to spend $50/month

this could be a little misleading, since it may make UTV sound more expensvie than it really is..
That's true...it is possible to get DTV with Only locals or only a sports package.

·
Registered
391 Posts
You can get dtv with only locals? That is kind of cool :)

Rare

Ohh and great web page:) almost forgot why I was posting.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Nice job, overall. Clean, easy to navigate, useful info.

I do have one minor suggestion. When you make date references, be more specific. For example when talking about the current unavailability of DirecTivo you mention that it's rumored to be "out in the fail" (oh yeah, typo there :) ), it would be clearer to say "out in the fall of 2002". That way it won't be confusing in a few months.

(You could generalize this beyond dates, too. For example in talking about the DirecTivo, mention that it's the "Series 2" units that are anticipated.)

Thanks for the site!

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RareB
You can get dtv with only locals? That is kind of cool :)

Rare

Not anymore you can't.....

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the clarifications and corrections. They have been made and will be updated soon. I also have a first draft FAQ that will be added shortly.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dropper
This site seems to be gone. Was it shut down or has it moved?

Keith
It's working for me.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Got it working. Had to change my DNS server address. My ISP has 4 of them, and any given one may be flaky.

Keith

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.