AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, I'd like to apologize if some of this has been gone over before (which I'm sure it has). I've tried to search, but can't seem to find straight answers. I'm about to move into a new house, and I'm going to set up a theater in the basement. The problem is that the room is long and narrow. What are some good "rules of thumb" to follow for distance to sit from the screen? Also, if I get the AE100, how far from the screen does the projector need to be for a 6foot'ish screen? Any info would be great!

Thanks

·
Registered
354 Posts
Use this calculator:
http://www.projectorcentral.com/projection_calc.cfm

You should easely be able to calculate distance and such with this. As for seating distance you will find that there's no such thing as the universally perfect spot. People are far from in agreement on this. Some people say that it's fine at 1,5x screenwidth, others say that it should be 2,5x. It depends on the individual and the projector. Expect to sit at least 1,5x from the screen.

-Jens

·
Registered
103 Posts
Visit the Panasonic website and download one of the brocheures for the PJs. They usually have a sizing chart to tell you where to mount the projector for the size you want.

Listen to rfuji, also consider how far away you will be sitting when considering how big the screen you will have is. I think for a SVGA projector (like the AE100), a 2x screen width is a minimum not to be distracted by the screendoor.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I've demoed the AE100 with a s-video and component (interlaced) inputs. Screendoor is very different depending on which input you use. With the s-video screendoor was noticeable, but depending on your personal tolerance would be tolerable (was to me). With the component screendoor was very hard to see. On some movies I couldn't see it, on others I could make it out just barely. It seems the better the connection is, the lesser the screendoor.

This was on a 2 meters wide screen from 3 meters distance (1,5x).

-Jens

·
Registered
354 Posts
Hmm, could be you're right since I don't have much experience with screendoor. Just seemed to me like the pixel grid was visible.

-Jens

·
Registered
446 Posts
"The problem is that the room is long and narrow"

Long and narrow may be good for the AE100 as it is important to sit back from the screen. I have my pj ~10' away from the screen and a ~47" x~84" picture looks good to me (in a dark room). I sit 10-12' away.

If you have to turn your head back/forth to take in the whole picture you're sitting too close...save that head action for tennis!

Really try to see an AE100 first to see how screendoor sensitive you really are. I am not that sensitive as my vision is 20/40 corrected. My better sighted friends have never noticed any screendoor until I pointed it out to them.

My $0.02

·
Registered
446 Posts
"for a SVGA projector (like the AE100)"

FTR...the AE100 is WVGA(858x484) , not SVGA.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.