AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to utv, have previously been a directivo user. I am having a little trouble getting my automatic recordings setup. With tivo, I could setup a season pass and it would record every instance of a show. On the utv I tried to setup a series recording for spy tv. There are two episodes on june 4 and the utv says it is only going to record the 7-7:30 showing. How do I get it to series record the second one on the same night?

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
You need to use the Auto-record feature. Go to the search page and select By Title. Type in the name of the show and check the Match Title Exactly box. Hit the Search button and at the bottom of the next page is an Auto Record button. Click that button and it will take you to a page where you can choose the settings for your season pass.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks rufus, what exactly is the difference between series recording and auto record? when should I use one over the other? Thanks.

·
Registered
151 Posts
An AutoRecord will record programs that match your search criteria that are broadcast at any time on any channel.

Series Record will record the program you specify in the guide (or from the program's Info screen) only on that channel within a window of time (something like +/- 2 hours) around the original broadcast time.

AutoRecords are much more flexible in that you can automatically record programs specified by any combination of search criteria on any channel. Series Record is lighter weight (doesn't require searching the entire guide) and are easier to set up with two touches of the record button while viewing the program guide.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
As a followup to UTV, here is how I use both methods. I use Auto-record to schedule 95% of my shows, especially using the Narrow feature. But sometimes it is easier to use Series Record, especially when the show is replayed several times a day. A good example of this is The Daily Show on Comedy Central. They replay it 4 times a day, at 10am, 7pm,11pm and 1am. I have a Series Record setup for the 11pm showing and it skips the other 3 showings. The other scenario Series record works well for is a show that is in heavy syndication, like Friends or Frasier. If I tried to setup an Auto-reord with them using the Narrow search fields of Evening and Broadcast Networks, I'd still record the syndicated episodes on my local WB or Fox, that shows them both at 7pm and 11pm everyday. And if NBC decides to add a "bonus" episode of Friends at 8:30, I just double click the record button on the 8:30 episode in the guide, and it will record both episodes that week and any other weeks they add a second showing. Hope this helps...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.