AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning to purchase a new system and just learned about the forum. I am leaning toward the Samsung HLN 50 or 56, a denon 3803, denon 2900 dvd. Most of my viewing will be via Direct TV. ( not High Def) Would I expect the picture to be better or worse than on my current 32" Sony 15 year old tv. I have heard conflicting claims about that. Isn't there some easy muliplier to figure "minimum" distance from the screen. 2 or 3 times screen size. Thanks for the forum.

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
SD Television is gonig to have a bigger, but worse picture on a 50" TV than on a new 32" TV. I don't think there is much debate about that. The debate is does it look worse, or just a little worse. As for how it will compare to *your* 15 year old TV, that's hard to say. The tradeoff is that DVD's - and HDTV when you get access - will look much better.

Are you willing to trade a possible decrease in SD TV watching for the bigscreen and better DVD viewing?

·
Registered
46 Posts
D_B,

I just posted a thread above defining some of my issues. I just purchased one and am considering returning it.

Bill

·
Registered
40 Posts
As an owner of a Samsung HLM-507W now for 2 months, I too was very disappointed with the SD PQ coming from my analog cable service. Being that I had Digital Phone Service, Digital Internet Service and no less than 8 TV jacks branching off 3 one-in-4-out splitters, I suspected that the signal level to the 507 might be the culprit. My previous analog 27" TV didn't have a problem.

So I bought a bi-directional 15db cable amplifier and re-worked my splitter arraingment and voila!, the PQ on the 507 in SD analog cable look great now. I suspect that the Samsung 507 series are a bit less capable at handling marginal signal levels via the antenna inputs. I also noticed that the loopthrough feed off antenna A drops the signal enough so that if it's fed into a VCR or Cable STB and then back into antenna B, the result will look worse than the direct feed into antenna A.

Bottom line is, make sure that your input signal is both "clean" and "strong". In fact, it's hard for my wife to tell the difference between analog cable and SD digital now that I've taken care of the signal level problems.

Eric

·
Registered
370 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by D_B_0673
denon 2900 dvd.
I would wait a month or two and have a look at the upcoming DVD players with DVI output. These should make a big difference in PQ from DVDs on the Samsung DLPs. They should also be quite a bit cheaper than the Denon. Of course even the higher end DVDs will start coming out with DVI outputs and they should have better analog output for CD, DVD-A and SACD.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.