AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i have been a wii owner for a number of years (with my kids loving it) but i am considering a 360 for me :) honestly i will have maybe one or 2 games at a time and will be more of a casual user due to time (liking the look of assassins creed and the new call of duty) - the 4 gig seems like enough for me and the step up to the 250 seems overkill - any thoughts?

also i did a search with no luck

thanks!

·
Registered
7,475 Posts
if you can afford the 250 GB system, then get it. but the hard drive is a luxury, not a necessity. it's a very nice luxury, but not necessary. your gaming life will still be pretty great without a hard drive. I have a Jasper arcade console with no hard drive and only 512 MB of onboard flash (in addition to an Elite with 120 GB hard drive), and it's still a great system.

the advantages of a hard drive is you can install your games onto the hard drive so loading is very fast compared to loading off the disc. even loading something as simple as a song in Lips or Rock Band is much nicer on the hard drive. the other advantage is there's a lot of things you can download on the 360 (games, demos, movies, etc.) that weren't commonplace on the Wii. The Wii is not a great downloading platform. Just downloading free demos to play too more room than I expected.

I do plan on getting a HD down the road for my but that's what's great about the arcade model. You can buy down the road instead of paying up front. In the meantime, I have a 4GB thumb drive hooked up. I don't have a lot of flash drives so my 8 and 16 GB flash drives remain strictly for PC use. But if I had a lot of big drives lying around, I would use them on the 360. but 4GB has been fine as it is.

Also note that you don't get a full 4GB of flash with the arcade because some of that space is reserved for system use.

For major downloads, I use the Elite with 120 GB hard drive.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
A HD-less 360 is gimped.

That being said buying one for two mediocre franchises is kind of a bad idea, especially when they need a gold subscription to play online.

Do you have a PC you can upgrade? They are both PC games.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no worries about trolls :)

i used to play but life gets in the way. a game or 2 is all i need - are comps are for our biz so games on there (they are macs anyway) - i dont see much downloading happening nor online gaming with live.

can ta attach an 8 or 16 gig usb thumbdrive like i have attached to my bluray player to had a bit of space?

seems like the base model will work for me :)

thanks

·
Registered
7,475 Posts
yes, you can use flash drives, up to 16 GB each for a total of 32 GB.

I've been getting by on a 4GB thumbdrive (plus my internal 512 MB). But beware if you use those thumbdrives with huge casings. I don't own the newer 360 model but on the older model, a big casing like an R2D2 flashdrive had a hard time fitting because of the plastic case around it. So if you use a big drive like a hello kitty drive, watch out.

But I do game mainly on my Elite which has a 120 GB.

·
Registered
292 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime /forum/post/20902047

hey jason, don't listen to tgable. he's the resident sony troll. he comes over when no one wants to listen to him.

Except that he is right that if you are going to buy a 360 just to play Call of Duty then you will need to invest in a Gold subscription as well.

·
Registered
7,475 Posts
that's true. but as a casual gamer, you don't play online much. you've got the single player campaign and you have the horde-like mode in Call of Duty.

my friend plays horde mode in Gears of War 2 like crazy. he doesn't miss online at all and with the limited time he has available to play, horde mode makes him really happy. and horde mode is a staple now with a lot of other games like Halo Reach.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
COD was an example but regardless of the game i am only interested in single player - nothing on line. basically it is for me to relax a bit and play a game w/o the kids - the 2 games i mentioned are things i am gravitating towards that are not on the wii (i know cod is but most games that i see and like are not avail on it) - i am not an avid gamer just one that wants to play a bit in my downtime :)

·
Registered
439 Posts
Most externals now work with the xbox so you start small and scale as needed. My 60gb has 14gb left and ive installed nearly every game I own and have many map packs etc. Granted, I wipe stuff out consistently but it hovers around 9-12gb free. Not sure what MS charges for their HDD but I think it's around $100 for the 250gb. Considering that money could get you a 3tb external.... Well, you can figure it out.

On this note, can an xbox write to NAS??

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Best answer - Get the 250GB 360 straight from MS. It will pay for itself overtime.

Cheap answer - Get the 4GB 360 and use a 16GB USB thumbstick. It will atleast allow you to install map packs and additional downloaded content. You can even install the game if you want. But reality is the Thumbstick will be 'handcuffed' to the 360 because it is formatted.. and the more you use it, the more likely you will run out of space.

Of course if you had a Thumbstick just laying around. Its costing you nothing extra out of pocket to use that until you need more space.

·
Registered
7,961 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjason /forum/post/20901578

so i have been a wii owner for a number of years (with my kids loving it) but i am considering a 360 for me :) honestly i will have maybe one or 2 games at a time and will be more of a casual user due to time (liking the look of assassins creed and the new call of duty) - the 4 gig seems like enough for me and the step up to the 250 seems overkill - any thoughts?

also i did a search with no luck

thanks!

Yeah. Just get the 4GB model. I play a lot of games, and I've done just fine with the 20GB model for almost three years. I play online, download games (I have 15-20), and occasionally do a full HDD install and 20GB has been more than enough. MS seriously overprices their proprietary HDDs, so I refuse to pay for an upgrade. They're really not necessary.

For someone in your situation, 4GB will do just fine.

·
Registered
7,475 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjason /forum/post/20904208

if a separate external works then a 1tb that costs $80-$90 would make more since - is there a reason that would not work?

If you plug in a 1 TB drive, only 16 GB will be available for use, by Microsoft's restriction. 16GB is the limit for an external device and since you can plug 2 in, that's 32 GB in total you can have.

Don't let these guys goad you into buying a hard drive. Try out the 4 GB system, and you'll realize how it's a luxury rather than a necessity. You can always pick up an imitation 360 250GB hard drive for $50 later if you choose.

·
Banned
7,766 Posts
Keep in mind that games buffer a lot of data to the HDD, which they won't do to the internal flash or a USB drive. The end result is that games just run a hell of a lot better when the internal HDD is present.

If I were buying a 360 to play ocassionally when I have a little bit of down-time, I wouldn't want to spend that down-time staring at more loading screens, which is the result of buying a HDD-less 360.

·
Registered
7,475 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames
Keep in mind that games buffer a lot of data to the HDD, which they won't do to the internal flash or a USB drive. The end result is that games just run a hell of a lot better when the internal HDD is present.

If I were buying a 360 to play ocassionally when I have a little bit of down-time, I wouldn't want to spend that down-time staring at more loading screens, which is the result of buying a HDD-less 360.
I have yet to see this behavior. If you can point a game out, since I have both a hard-drive system and an arcade system with only flash memory, I can try it out.

Sure, loading times, but never affecting framerate or any other playability aspect.

·
Banned
7,766 Posts
"I wouldn't want to spend that down-time staring at more loading screens"

"I have yet to see this behavior"

"Sure, loading times"

Um, what?

Additional: Just about anything that streams textures in on the fly gets full texture data a hell of a lot faster on an internal-HDD equipped 360. This means you spend a lot less time staring at the super-low-res placeholder textures. Anything based on Unreal Engine 3, the most commonly used engine this generation, will exhibit this behavior. John Carmack has specifically ranked the upcoming Rage texture load performance at 360

Plus, initial level loads are quite commonly far longer on an HDD-less 360, as I said earlier, then you said you've never seen, but then you said you have seen.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.