Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings, CRT-heads:

I'm a somewhat clueless new owner of a Barco Graphics 801s that I bought "as-is" from Boeing Surplus near Seattle. Of course it doesn't quite work, which doesn't surprise me.

The 801 powers up into standby mode OK, then when I hit the standby button on the remote, it acts like it's trying to go operational, but fails. I hear some intermittent HV squealing; the big fans twitch and spin a little, then it drops back into standby.

Hmmm. Yesterday, the red Scan Fail" LED stayed on (dimly) and so did the +17v and +30v LEDs. Today, I see all the LEDs except HTHD flicker for a while, then everything goes out. I'm suspecting the P/S board that I've seen references to on this site.

A couple of other points - When I got the thing home, one of the 5A fuses on the power input board was blown. I see some black smudging on the inside of the case around the xfrmr & power input area. The red HV failure LED doesn't come on. There's another green LED on the power board that comes on for a while, then goes out with the rest of them.

So my current plan is - try and check out a service manual for a while from my employer & see what other troubleshooting I might do. Maybe get in touch with Curt if I don't see a clear path from there.

A good thing (I think): this unit looks extremely clean inside. I don't know how one of these would normally look after N thousand hours, but there's no dust in there, and no discolored plastic like I might see on an old printer or monitor with a lot of hours on it (except for that black stuff I noted earlier). So I'm crossing my fingers & hoping there aren't a lot of hours on the tubes.

And now, it's turning into a beautiful day outside & I'm going out for a bike ride. If anyone has comments or suggestions, I'd love to read them. Otherwise, I hope to be posting some news or questions soon...

Thanks,

Rick

·
Registered
596 Posts
Hi Rick,

I can probably help you with it. I am an Avionics tech at Boeing. I have taken many, many Barco's from surplus. I install them for home theater as a side passion/hobby.

Let me know if you want some help......Drew

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.