AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apparently Vandersteen had a pair of new "Quatro" speakers at the latest electronics show. Did anyone get a chance to hear them, and if so, what were your impressions?

MT

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Two seperate people heard them on this forum (I am not one of them). Both liked the sound and believed that they sounded a little better than the 3A sig with stereo 2WQ's.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hello,

I had a chance to hear them (although briefly). They were the only speakers in the room (same room from CES 2003???). $6,000/pair is what I saw.

Sounded typical Vandersteen - very balanced, engaging. I consider Vandersteens great package for live music, jazz... (for your ref.). I did not find them as breathtaking as Onix Ref III ($4500?), but better than new Von Schweikert VR4-III ($4500?). They were driven of a very exotic looking tube amps and featuring very exotic turn table. I only had a chance to listen to 2CE before, and the difference was obvious.

Not much help here - sorry. For your reference I do like warmer souding gear overall.

Thanks.

·
Registered
484 Posts
They sounded excellent. If I were buying my 3As and 2Wqs again, I'd go with the Quatros; they are smaller and have the parameteric equalizer from the 5 series (although the one at the show didn't have the equalizer - preproduction model I guess).

The only speakers I heard that sounded better were the 5As in the Audio Research room and possibly the Avalon Eidolon Diamonds in the Wadia room.

I've heard nothing better than the 5As at the last 2 CES shows and finally ordered them last weekend :).

·
Registered
484 Posts
tpigeon2003, thanks. They will be used for both 2 channel and HT. I'm buying them for the 2 channel sound. I'll be driving them with a Theta Dreadnaught, Ayre K5x preamp. Sources are a Linn Sondek, a Sony SACD player, HTPC w/Revo sound card, and processor passthru from my Denon 5800 for HT.

Hardest thing about buying the 5As was figuring out which of the zillion available veneers to choose. I finally decided on teak. Now to wait the 45-60 days for them to arrive...

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
I talked to my dealer and he is going to set me up with some 2ce sig. But when the Quatro come in he will trade them in provided they sound good. Now I just need to find centers sourounds and a sub to match.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.