AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, After reading all about the system upgrade and 'cause I have a full 700 Watts surround RCA receiver so I went with UltimateTV RCA-DWD490. All because I want to use the same remote control !

All my friends have TIVO and have paid the lifetime subscription. I went against all of them with UltimateTV.

I waited like a year to get it....(there was a time I almost bought a $99.00 Unit open box return at Best Buy) It was hard to find one because RCA stopped making them. I end up paying $200.00 from www.americasatellite.com. Units are not being sold anywhere, anymore.

The system came with 3.0 factory installed, it took a week to get a new version 3.5. My question is will there be a 3.7 version if SO when? Anyone know!

Can anyone say what's in this new 3.7 version!

I have noticed a faster responds on 3.5 and I will be upgrading the HDD soon, I like to see how 3.7 is if I decide to keep it!

I'm hoping for Caller ID feature in 3.7!!

Thanks !

·
Registered
148 Posts
You paid $200 + $10/month to get an UltimateTV simply because you wanted to use the same remote remote as your receiver? Please tell me you're joking!

There have been many threads posted on the forum about 3.7. Check them out to read about the new features. None of us here know when the general release of the software will be (at least no one's telling).

Clip

·
Registered
719 Posts
Speaking of lifetime subscriptions, I just heard that replay will not go under, somone is buying them, but that they too had lifetime subscriptions and had nobody rescued replay, all those lifetimes would have been greatly shortened.

Long ago I learned the hardway not to buy lifetime warrenties. I had to throw out a stereo with a 5 year warrenty when Pacific Stereo of Ca. took a dive.

Also, consider there is a time value of money, which is the real reason they want you to pay in advance.

And lastly, anything you can buy for $200 in the electronics field should not be a worry if it dies or becomes obsolete in a few years. Besides, just the cables alone that I have for my systems cost almost that much. So, don't sweat the $200, and by the time you know it 3.7 will be here.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Has anyone else tried calling the UltimateTV specialty group? They can be reached at 1-800-531-5000, option 2. I'm just curious to hear if anyone else has gotten more information than I could get. I was told a couple of weeks ago, when I called, that 3.7 was made available on March 14th and that I would get it "soon". Like the rest of you, I still don't have it!

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Well, I am very glad they didn't upgrade March 14 or immediately thereafter. Everyone would have been very angry if their UTVs became bug ridden when the war was heating up.

HOPEFULLY, there won't be any bugs. But as many of us know, with any upgrade the potential for problems is always a concern.

I just hope it was worth the wait.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Let's keep in mind that this is a Microsoft product! Microsoft has never released any product of any kind that wasn't full of bugs. 3.7 will be buggy. 3.5 is buggy. The Windowz CE OS it's based on is buggy.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Honestly - and I say this as someone who despises Microsoft for a variety of reasons - UltimateTV has been nearly appliance-grade stable for me, and with 3.5 it's got most of the features I need in a PVR. I prefer my Tivos, but if Tivo weren't an option I wouldn't have too much of a problem replacing them with UltimateTVs.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I agree. While we have read numerous posts regarding hardware faileres, mostly dead tuners (heat the likely culprit) and hard drive issues, software crashes have been few and far between.

I am not saying they are zero. People have had isolated issues but I have not observed on this board any common or widely occuring bug with UTV, ASIDE FROM THAT DAMN RUNAWAY FAST FORWARD, which is more of a nuisance really, it has never caused me to lose a recording or miss one either.

·
Registered
148 Posts
What are you guys kidding? Sure, the UTV may be more stable then a desktop computer running Windows ME, but appliance grade stability? No way. Appliance grade stability means that it just plain always works completely and immediate if the power's on unless there is a hardware failure. If the software were at that level of stability we would never need to yank the phone cord to connect, UTVs wouldn't crash and reset for non-hardware related reasons, they wouldn't decide to trash the contents of perfectly fine hard drives, they wouldn't need an update to work around spot-beam problems, they wouldn't miss recording a program for no reason, they wouldn't lose local channels or need to redownload the guide after a power failure, and they wouldn't have any of the other glitches that we all know and love. Yes, these problems are not overly common. But I've never ever needed to reboot my VCR, microwave or coffee maker to get their software to work properly.

Clip

·
Registered
75 Posts
I disagree that UTV is stable in any way. It has a huge memory leak. If you do not turn the unit off for a month or so it will not record properly due to this memory leak. It will tell you that it's recording, but it isn't.

There are many documented problems with Windowz CE and all are inherent in UTV as a result.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by clip
Yes, these problems are not overly common. But I've never ever needed to reboot my VCR, microwave or coffee maker to get their software to work properly.

Clip
Poor example. While these devices have firmware, they do not really have programmable software. Just the clock. Anything with software needs a little boot now and then.

But to take your example to the extreme, if you lose power on the cited devices you will lose your clock settings and any pre-programed timer data. And the only real UTV problem I've had is power loss reset. So you kinda made the case for the other side. Maybe UTV IS an appliance. :)

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by csgo
I disagree that UTV is stable in any way. It has a huge memory leak. If you do not turn the unit off for a month or so it will not record properly due to this memory leak. It will tell you that it's recording, but it isn't.

There are many documented problems with Windowz CE and all are inherent in UTV as a result.
No clue what youa re talking about. I have had mine on almost continuously for over a year and I haven't missed a single show.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Even the best built home appliances from the top manufacturers have a failure rate. Refrigerator compressors go out, washing machine belts break. I'm sure if there were bulletin boards concerned only with Maytag clothes dryers, there would be those who are convinced they are crap, and those who haven't had any issues and wouldn't hesitate to buy them again.

I've had UTV for over two years, kept it in an enclosed cabinet, performed a 120GB HD upgrade, and have had no problems.

This board is very reminiscent of my job. I am an I.T. manager and the only time we hear from 90% of my customers is when there is a problem with the network or their systems.

Jason

·
Registered
75 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by videoholic
No clue what youa re talking about. I have had mine on almost continuously for over a year and I haven't missed a single show.
Sorry but no you haven't unless you don't have any scheduled series listed. This is a documented problem with UTV. Call your UTV support people and they will verifiy it for you. Once UTV records about 300 scheduled events the memory leak causes a buffer overflow and the unit will not actually record. This bug is present on every single UTV unit running 3.5 period. There was an interim release planned, but the breakup of the UTV unit caused it to get lost in the shuffle. The current upgrade is a continuation of the interim release but would never be released if not for a few demands by DTV.

The UTV project is dead, but M$ if forced to keep up with certain things due to the contract with DTV. That contract is due to expire in the not too far future (I posted the date in the past but don't remember it off the top of my head).

·
Registered
148 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by restart88
Poor example. While these devices have firmware, they do not really have programmable software. Just the clock. Anything with software needs a little boot now and then.

But to take your example to the extreme, if you lose power on the cited devices you will lose your clock settings and any pre-programed timer data. And the only real UTV problem I've had is power loss reset. So you kinda made the case for the other side. Maybe UTV IS an appliance. :)
When you talk about something in terms of being an appliance, it doesn't matter if the software resides on a hard disk or in firmware / flash. Either it always works whenever it is plugged in or doesn't. I have appliances that are much more programmable that have never crashed or needed to be rebooted to get to a working state such as my game console and my PDA. And these allow 3rd party software to be run on them!

Heck, even the computer in my closet which is my router / NAT server, web server, web application server, email server, SMB file server, NFS file server, music server, DHCP server and firewall averages about 180 days up at a time and it only goes down for OS or hardware upgrades. It hasn't crashed in literally years. The UTV software does not even come close to that stability.

Clip

·
Registered
148 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by videoholic
I don't believe for a second that your UTV has been on for over a year without being unplugged or turned off. You'd think sometime during that period you would have at least accidentally hit the power button or had a power outage.

Clip

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by clip
I don't believe for a second that your UTV has been on for over a year without being unplugged or turned off. You'd think sometime during that period you would have at least accidentally hit the power button or had a power outage.

Clip
Heard of UPS? :)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.