AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It took them a while, but it's as they say...purple :)

Might be worth checking out.

http://www.showshifter.com

I was trying out the beta over the last couple of days and there are some neat new features, especially the ability to play a DVD from the hard drive(without the need for "subst" ). It does seem a little slow in repsonding sometimes though. Maybe just my config.

The GUI is an improvement over the previous one and it looks like there is transparency support in the skinning engine, which should help.

Any recommendations on which DVD codec to use? Sonic? Intervideo?

Paul

·
Registered
228 Posts
Yeah i messed around with the beta a couple of weeks ago. Although it's a major improvement over their old interface, they just don't seem to understand that people don't like to look at ugly and clunky interfaces. The functionality is rather good, but Windows Media Center blows the pants off it, and Snapstream's 3.0 version which is out in another month or so (although only does video) looks better than this too by a nice margin.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
festivalman,

I also played a bit with MCE at Best Buy, it looks great, but didn't have the chance to check out all the functionality. Do you use it, or have you only "played" as well?

Hopefully someday Microsoft will decide to release this in a service pack or update, although they need to figure out the XP Home/Pro issue first. I don't know about you, but I can't for the life of me figure out why they require XP Pro on something that is obviously designed for the home...strange.

I was starting a little app of my own with a (extremely ripped-off) Tivo look, but maybe with the alpha blending in Showshifter I'll try my hand at a little skinning the same idea and see what happens.

Snapstream does look the biz though, shame it doesn't do the music jukebox & DVD thing as well.

·
Registered
327 Posts
And is it true that showstopper will only work with a tuner card and not just a regular capture card? No s-video capture? I thought this was a pretty glaring omission myself...

matt

·
Registered
228 Posts
:) nope, didn't just play with MCE, I've got it fully up and running. I use it over any of the other programs now. I only use snapstream here and there if there's a show that I know i'll want to send a friend ahead of time. The very large mpeg-2 files that MCE generates are great for moving around a local network, but obviously too large to send over the internet. They should have some conversion ability by the end of the year they say. I really can't get enough of it. The one thing that it has over showshifter or snapstream, is that it's totally polished. It's a complete product that's not a beta and works extremely well in every way. What's great is that they bring out updates constantly. There's been 3 in the XP auto updates since I first got it which has only been a month. I give it top stars.

·
Registered
210 Posts
ShowShifter V2 is a keeper for me - the native ATI Remote Wonder support is great, as is the realtime DivX Pro encoding for TV shows, MP3 jukebox with album art, and a scheduler that understands how standby mode works and that it might be a good idea to wake up at 7:58 if you want to record a show that starts at 8:00.

I'm using it along with BroadQ's QCast tuner for the PS2, which gives me remote access to ShowShifter's recorded TV shows.

·
Registered
228 Posts
as this is obviously not official, take from it what you will...

P3-850 with 512 megs of ram, 80 gig ultra quiet hard drive in a case using a pc power & cooling ultra quiet power supply. Geforce3 video board and the hauppauge pvr-250 mpeg-2 board. 20 dollar remote control from compusa. Everything works extremely smoothly and there's no issues of speed and performance.. obviously increasing the speed of the cpu only makes it better. Recording video takes about 5 percent cpu and doing other things, as long as they're not too crazy haven't produced any skips in the recordings.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I'm curious...does MCE handle standby mode well? I like to have my HTPC in standby as much of the time as possible (since I use suspend-to-RAM, this makes the HTPC silent when not in use but still accessible through wake-on-LAN by my Audiotrons). Showshifter is the first PVR program I've used that handles standby without a hitch...in fact, I watched it wake up the computer tonight, record 'South Park', then immediately go back into standby at the end of the show.

·
Registered
228 Posts
That's one of its better features. I've got the standby mode set to 30 minutes so it drops in and out of standby effortlessly. Wakes up 2 minutes ahead of any recordings so you never miss a beat. I have it set to auto download and install any XP updates in the middle of the night so it does everything without any intervention necessary.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Made the mistake of putting XP Home on my HTPC. I'll have to wait and see what comes along from MS.

Is anyone using an STB wia S-video? If so, what are you using to change the channel for recording in SS?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by wormzer
And is it true that showstopper will only work with a tuner card and not just a regular capture card? No s-video capture?
ShowShifter. Not true. In fact, you can still define a bunch of channels all based on s-video, each with its own command line to switch the cable box or satellite or whatever. This is invaluable if your overall setup is more complex than the PVRs with built-in blaster support can handle (as mine is -- there's a video switcher that needs to be in the right mode too).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.