AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought an ATI Radeon Card (7200) to replace my NVidia GeForce 2 MX. Is it possible that my projector is now dimmer than it use to. I don't think it is really the card because people on this forum have only good words for the Radeon. If nobody else ever notice that it as to be something I did.

What could cause that? I have the same video cable as before, No change as been made to my setup. I don't think it's related to the setting of the card but maybe!!?. I can't test my old card because I already sold it. Any ideas?

Possible cause I am thinking about:

1)It's only my imagination and everything is fine.

2)Setup of the Radeon card not optimized.

3)My new video card is a lemon.

4)Card is not secure enough in it's socket (didn't push enough)

5)....???

I know some of those things don't make any sense. Can anybody help me eliminating a few possible reason. I know that I am the only one that could take care of number one but what about the others?

Thank you for your comments.

Bruno

·
Registered
463 Posts
Hello Bruno,

I just went (this week) from a geforce2 to the same radeon you have and I am quite pleased with the result. What version drivers are you using for the radeon? What is your operating system? Although I am a newbie to radeons I would hazard a guess it has to do with your overlay setting and some drivers are better at it than others. Not to worry, When Chilvers releases his TheaterTek dvd player, I'm sure it will be simple to tweak maximum performance out of that radeon.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Try svideo source to see if it is dimmer than before. If so your bulb may be going bad. Try adjusting gamma on your color control of windows desktop. Overlay controls are available with the v7199 drivers (beta) or with individual DVD players. Try a regular monitor to see if the card is bad comparing to Geforce.

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by automagic
Hello Bruno,

I just went (this week) from a geforce2 to the same radeon you have and I am quite pleased with the result. What version drivers are you using for the radeon? What is your operating system? Although I am a newbie to radeons I would hazard a guess it has to do with your overlay setting and some drivers are better at it than others. Not to worry, When Chilvers releases his TheaterTek dvd player, I'm sure it will be simple to tweak maximum performance out of that radeon.
My OS is Windows 98SE

I have the latest beta driver from ATI 4.13.7199

I see the same dimmer screen for the desktop and for a movie. Making me believe it's not a overlay setting or gamma curve problem.

It could be my bulb but I don't event have 300 hours on it. Life should be 2000 hours (Viewsonic PJL830)

Thank you for your comments. I will do some of Huey's tests tonight or this weekend.

Bruno

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
It's been a long time (in HTPC years) since I upgraded from a GeForce MX-2 to the Radeon 64 MB DDR, but as I recall, I had to recalibrate the brightness on my Marquee projector dramatically. If my aging memory is correct, projector brightness with the GeForce was set at 41 and I had to adjust it to 52 with the Radeon.

My recommendation? Use a copy of AVIA or Video Essentials to recalibrate your projector.

Jeff Hipps

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Stereojeff
It's been a long time (in HTPC years) since I upgraded from a GeForce MX-2 to the Radeon 64 MB DDR, but as I recall, I had to recalibrate the brightness on my Marquee projector dramatically. If my aging memory is correct, projector brightness with the GeForce was set at 41 and I had to adjust it to 52 with the Radeon.

My recommendation? Use a copy of AVIA or Video Essentials to recalibrate your projector.

Jeff Hipps
You are right. There is good chance that my setup is not perfect now. I did the AVIA disk setup with my GeForce and I haven't done it with the Radeon. So that could be the problem.

Does anybody has a similar setup?

Radeon

Viewsonic PJL830

What are your settings? I find it easier and a lot faster to start with settings from an other members, than starting from scratch. What to you use for brightness, contrast, gamma etc...

Thank you for your help!

Bruno

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.