AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just surfing by nvnews where I saw a link about these XGI Volari GPUs. It seems they are going with a dual GPU/card setup to take advantage of smaller die sizes and higher yields.
http://www.guru3d.com/newsitem.php?id=499

Anyway, I headed over to the XGI site http://www.xgitech.com/ to see what I could find:

High Definition TV-OUT Solution with XV301

- PAL and NTSC Systems.

- Composite, S-Video, and Component RGB Output Signals

- Macrovision Copy Protection Process Rev. 7.1.L1

- HDTV 480i/480p/1080i/720p YPbPr Output Signals.

- A single link TMDS transmitter with excellent scaling capability for TFT LCD panel display

MPEG-2 Video Decoder

- MPEG-2 [email protected] standards compliant

- Supports up to 20 Mbit/sec bit rate decoding

- True hardware VCD, DVD and HDTV decoding

Video Accelerator

- YUV-to-RGB color space conversion

- Bi-linear video interpolation with integer increments of 1/2048

- Complete graphics and video overlay function

- Hardware video decoder interface

- Independent VBI capture

- Supports DVD sub-picture playback overlay

- Built-in independent Gamma correction RAM

Proprietary Cipher Video Processor

- 5 fields per-pixel motion detection de-interlace function, video sources from MPEG decoder, Video capture and AVI interfaces.

- Down scaling function and scaling vector as 1/2, 1/4.

- Next generation de-interlaced and 1/2 down scaling function.

I was quite interested to see they list component output and the "Cipher Video Processor" is too. I've been following the computer industry for long enough to know companies tend to promise twice what they can deliver and deliver half of that, but this at least looks like something to keep an eye on.

·
Registered
23,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess what I found interesting is mostly how prominently the multimedia features are noted. Their page suggests (to me) that the multimedia features are at least as important as the gaming features. ATI's component vid support seems almost like an afterthought, nVidia's is unrealized, nVidia doesn't even put their VPE on their FX series cards (maybe I'm wrong on this but they don't list in in any of the documentation). I guess I just saw this and thought it looked like it had the potential to be a significant improvement over current solutions for the HTPC. Of course they may end up only challenging bitboys for the vaporware crown.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.