AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day everyone!

If you follow the TMT3 thread, you may recognize me as the guy who found out his 8800gts320 is not quite cutting it like I thought it should..

So, new video card time, and I thought I would get some oppinions from you guys.

The way I see it, I have 3 options.

current machine, for background, is an Intel Core2duo 6600 2.4ghz, 4gb ram pcie fullsize desktop mobo that I scrounged out of a buddy's computer after he left for the sandbox.. I know its an asus board, but I cant for the life of me remember wich one. I know it only supports spdif audio however.

The system outputs to my Pioneer SC-05 AVR with just about every bell and whistle known to modern home theater design.

Option 1

Upgrade the video card on said mobo to something resembling an Nvidia 9400

Option 2

Upgrade the video card to something resembling an ATI 4550? Im an Nvidia guy, so I think thats the popular one..

Or option 3

Replace the 3 year old monster motherboard with a smaller mATX board with onboard video/hdmi

Thanks for your help, and please, by all means let me know what you would do, and more importantly, why you would do it that way.. I have been down this road too many times, and I want to get it right this time.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Your MB and CPU are still good. Get a ATI HD4XXX series card and you'll be happy. They all can pass 7.1 channel LPCM audio over HDMI with their onboard audio chip. Since you have a receiver that can decode multi-ch. LPCM, that makes the most sense.

That is the reason I would do this; very convenient, no cables to attach to the card, nothing. Simply plug it in and install the right drivers and you are good to go with HD video and LPCM audio over one HDMI cable.

Are you playing BDs? or MKVs? or lots of DVDs?

Even the cheapest card (HD4350 - $20) can play BDs without problems and pass 8-ch LPCM audio. However, general opinion is that it is weak when it comes to de-interlacing (DVDs), which is not a problem with progressive content (almost all BDs). People who are not happy with DVD playback on the 4350 generally recommend at least a HD4670 or above. But its a personal choice. I am happy with the 4350 right now.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hirent /forum/post/16928994

Are you playing BDs? or MKVs? or lots of DVDs?

I will be playing a lot of DVD's, and as many BD's as I can get my hands on, so deinterlacing and some video processing should be minimum requirements.

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
Radeon HD 4550 is excellent for film-based DVDs and BDs.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx /forum/post/16929163

Radeon HD 4550 is excellent for film-based DVDs and BDs.

Thank you for your oppinion, and if I remember right, you sure do know a thing or 2 about it..

Another question regarding the 4550, since everyone keeps pointing that way..

How does it handle 24fps?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts