AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the system i set up for a friend...

Vid: Epson 6500UB FP

Audio Rec: Onkyo TX-SR806

Amp: Acurus 200x3

Speakers: Polk Surround / ED Sub

TV: Dish Network VIP722

BD: HTPC

HTPC: AMD Proc (5850?) / X2 Motherboard / 4 GB DDR-2 800 RAM / 2 x 1TB WD Hard Drives / HIS 4830 Video / On-board sound

Just recently, i replaced the 4830 with a 5670 for the HD audio with the BD. I immediately had driver issues (which seem to be documented in another thread that i have tried to work through). What's odd is that when i changed the video card, he began to have blue dots appear on the screen (which is a documented problem with the 806 receiver, only he has the serial number of the ones that were fixed of that problem). Plus, why would he only now be seeing these. Apparently he says the video quality is worse now (which may just need to be tweaked according to the other thread). But right now, he thinks i've wasted his money on the new video card and wants to swap the old one back in (which he still has).

What should be my first step? Why would these blue dots be appearing now after the video card change? Anyone have similar issues? I'm rather frustrated and will be spending some time at his house tomorrow - and would like to try to fix some things.

Thanks!

Chris

·
Registered
688 Posts
Were you watching blu rays with no issue before the upgrade? That Onkyo has a documented problem with blue dots. Google Onkyo blue dots. I have the 706 and was having some blue dots and lines with 1080p content during really dark scenes. I set immediate display to off, turned noise to off, and set the receiver to pass through (it was there already) and they went away. That could be your issue.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts