AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Gang,

First time posting into this forum (most of my AVS threads are PS3/360 related).

Anywho, I'm getting the above delivered to me next week (yay !!). This is going into a basement that is being finished.

I arranged my recessed lighting such that I have one high hat on each side of the TV about 3-4 feet off center. No high hats directly over the TV. I have 3 additional high hats lining the back of the TV area directly over the sofa / end tables. I have dimmers on them, so I can take them down real low if needed.

I have a PS3

I have FIOS HD

My questions:

A. Can somebody tell me if I should calibrate it one way for break-in and another way after break-in?

B. I'm supposed to break this in for 100 hours right? I downloaded the Break-in DVD (EA_Breakin_DVD) - I just loop it for .... 4 days straight? Is it even good to have the plasma on for four days straight? Can I mix in breaking it in with actually watching some shows? Or is it more like 'Watch it as you will, but mix in the 100 hours of break-in when conveniant'?

C. How do I go about gaming on this TV? Is there a game mode on my TV that does the pixel shift thing? Is it a non-issue regardless? I usually game in 2-3 hour sessions, OCCASIONALLY hitting a 4 hour marathon but not frequently.

Any other gotchas?

Thanks so much in advance !

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
A. Best advice seems to be just to make sure any "torch mode" settings are reduced (contrast, brightness, etc...) during your break-in period.

B. Break-in is a highly debated topic. Rule of thumb is to be very careful with static images (TV logos, letterbox, etx...) for the first 120 hours or so. Using a DVD (or slides from SD card) basically just serves as a shortcut to that time, and ages the phosphors nice and evenly. That said, I only ran the slides for a couple hours due to the time I got the set (few hours before opening ceremonies). Within the first 20 hours, we watched a ton of Olympic coverage and a letterbox movie. I did see a touch of image retention the second night, but only after turning the unit off (NBC logo and line where the letterbox was at). However, it was gone by morning (either off or on). The latest generations of sets are pretty solid when it comes to burn in. Just make sure you don't abuse the hell out of it during that break-in period.

c. I'd avoid heavy gaming (especially if it's a game with static display pieces) for during the first while. After that, it's generally not an issue. I'm sure there are other heavier gamers than me that can fill you in there.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yes, there is a game mode.

I'm 99.9% sure the pixel orbiter is available in all modes, not just game mode. Not sure how effective it is for games with HUD's though. I've gamed on it for 2-3 hours at a time and I haven't seen any image retention, but then again, there were no static images on my screen for more than 10-15 minutes at a time. Also, I didn't do a break-in period, FWIW.

·
Registered
721 Posts
i would avoid games that include alot of static images, specifically FPSs, and racers. I play alot of tomb raider, games that only show static images sporadically. just a thought.

break-in wise, I would run the slides until i hit 120 hours, for about 20-21 hours a day. I would turn it off a couple of times a day to let it rest.

good luck.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I bought a 50 inch S1 and do alot of Call of duty game playing and it works flawlessly, never had burn in or IR. All i did was turn down brightness and Contrast for a couple of days. It's been 3mths now and no problems at all. It actually looks better now, maybe I just love the TV so much but I think you shouldn't have problems if your turn down the settings a bit for a month or so

·
Registered
546 Posts
Yo Jopopsym i have a Panasonic 42S1 and a PS3.

ALl i ever do on that set is Play Modern Warfare 2. I have no cable or OTA hooked up. I only have two Blu-ray movies. When i'm not playing because of school/work my little brother is.

I have No IR or BI or any other issue. I never did a break-in. I just did Mooekaka's Offset SM settings and started Gaming.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leetthal /forum/post/18162759

Yo Jopopsym i have a Panasonic 42S1 and a PS3.

ALl i ever do on that set is Play Modern Warfare 2. I have no cable or OTA hooked up. I only have two Blu-ray movies. When i'm not playing because of school/work my little brother is.

I have No IR or BI or any other issue. I never did a break-in. I just did Mooekaka's Offset SM settings and started Gaming.

This makes me very happy !

1 - 8 of 8 Posts