AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... But it's an RPTV. See this link: http://www.digitimes.com/NewsShow/Ar...ages=82&seq=65

Lots of interesting content here - both in the description of the LCOS platform they are using as well as the built in MS Mira operating system for PC / RPTV convergence. Has anyone heard of any plans for front projectors to include an embedded operating system like Viewsonic is talking about ? (How cool would a linux-based, hackable projector be...) I also wonder why they imply that they are having a hard time getting larger size screens to work right away - if this is related to the LCOS technology, the optics, or something else.

But the main thing that this announcement continues to make me think is that the vendors are creaming the front projector market. I thought that it is exciting to see that Viewsonic say that hey can deliver a three chip LCOS RPTV this year for $5000, and they think they can reduce the price to $2000 with volume.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Boy, talk about creative marketing. They are obviously using JVC's 1365x1024 panels but rather than calling it a 1.4 megapixel display (which is what it really is) they are counting each of the sandwiched panels separately and thus comes the absurd 4.19 megapixel claim.

Seems like its just a shrunk down Dahlia, to me.

-Dave

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Dave,

I've seen this alot with multi-panel displays. Viewsonic definitely didn't invent this little white lie, they just don't want to be left behind so they have to propogate it.

Dan,

Not sure I want Bill Gates inside my display. I don't want to have to be downloading critical updates for it every two weeks.

-phil

·
Registered
2,378 Posts

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Are those pictures real or doctored? If real, they're almost as good as when Bil Gates himself got the blue screen when introducing one of the new products at a windows conference. I think it was when he was introducing Win98.

-phil

·
Premium Member
4,176 Posts
They are real.

I once saw a Las Vegas video billboard with a Windows error screen too (IN REAL LIFE!) I think it was MGM Grand's screen, and this was sometime during COMDEX '98.

You should also blame the digial camera makers for deceptive marketing too. :) Or the vice versa, this vindicates ViewSonic because they are now matching digital camera megapixel marketing standards. (Take your pick and blame one of them!) The 4 megapixel digital cameras are really only 1-1.5 megapixels, because there are usually 1 million red pixels, 1 million blue pixels, and 2 million green pixels, on a 4 megapixel CCD.

As a rule of thumb, to maximize the resolution of a DILA projector like my G1000 (1.3 megapixels), you need a 5-6 megapixel digital camera image, in order to look the sharpest. My 5 megapixel snapshots look leaps and bounds sharper than my 2 megapixel snapshots. (All resized to the DILA pixel array). Beyond about 5 megapixels, there is a point of diminishing or no returns, which is when the resolution of the digital photo saturates the resolution capability of the digital display. It'd be a lot simpler if the manufacturers were consistent in megapixel ratings. People are confused why a 1.3 megapixel (all 3 RGB normally counted together, except in this case of ViewSonic) digital projector needs a 4-5 megapixel digital photo (R, G, B normally counted separately for digital cameras) in order to maximize the sharpness of the image. It is also why shrinking image sizes of a digital camera image always makes them look sharper per square inch of monitor space -- because of the interpolation done to fill in the missing color components for each digital camera pixel (which is only one primary color at each point of the CCD).

·
Registered
114 Posts
I know it's of topic but I think this could benefit from a little information.

I saw a few picture of real life Unix based flight tracking system crash, or nuclear system crash in a course on quality assurance and testing in CS. A lot more scary if you ask me.

The thing is crashes do happen. Proving that your code is failsafe is only doable mathematically on very simple programs and completly unrealistic on big projects (and when I say unrealistic I mean more unrealistic than sending a man to a moon of jupiter tomorrow). MS has an awfully bad rep due to the number of people who use to develop critical component, who didn't test them and could deploy them without beeing approved/tested by anyone. Sure they had security issues of their own, none of which ever affected me because I am able to click "next-next" when a critical update is realeased and that I am automatically informed of it. Which today is nearly similar on the linux platform (you gotta set up a cron job to check for updates yourself, is the only difference). Btw, I get as many critical updates a month on my linux based firewall/file server than on my desktop machine, if not more...

Anyway, it has been reported that more than 95% of all blue screen on Win95 to 2000 were caused by device drivers or components devlopped by third parties, messing with the kernel. Of course you wont see that kinda news on traditional we-hate-MS site like Slashdot.

I am not pro MS and I have both Linux server and Windows workstation at home but I am anti FUD. So please people stop repeating the linux zealots nice formulas. I know it might be awfully lame these days to defend MS but I have been working on the linux platform for 7 year and it is **not** the magical system most of the MS basher would have you believe. I have been working profesionally on the windows platform only recently (since XP) and so far I am rather impressed by the progress that they made and how they finally stopped and listened to their customers.

Anyway... back to FP and HT :)

GloP

P.S: I wish some FP had an ethernet interface and the ability to play a MPEG2 streams coming from any other PC in the home thanks to a technology like Freestyle :D

·
Registered
485 Posts
Hi Mark-

So, when my Canon S30 takes a picture at 2048x1536, every pixel does not truly represent the union of RGB? Should I be taking the pictures at the highest resolution, or rather somewhere between XGA and SXGA resolution (1182x886) to get the best quality picutres?

Hi Pultzer-

You can set your preferences to send you an email and/or pop-up a window when you login to AVSForum when you have a PM. I don't know why it doesn't default.

Thank,

-Zak

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Rejhon
They are real.

I once saw a Las Vegas video billboard with a Windows error screen too (IN REAL LIFE!) I think it was MGM Grand's screen, and this was sometime during COMDEX '98.

You should also blame the digial camera makers for deceptive marketing too. :) Or the vice versa, this vindicates ViewSonic because they are now matching digital camera megapixel marketing standards. (Take your pick and blame one of them!) The 4 megapixel digital cameras are really only 1-1.5 megapixels, because there are usually 1 million red pixels, 1 million blue pixels, and 2 million green pixels, on a 4 megapixel CCD.

As a rule of thumb, to maximize the resolution of a DILA projector like my G1000 (1.3 megapixels), you need a 5-6 megapixel digital camera image, in order to look the sharpest. My 5 megapixel snapshots look leaps and bounds sharper than my 2 megapixel snapshots. (All resized to the DILA pixel array). Beyond about 5 megapixels, there is a point of diminishing or no returns, which is when the resolution of the digital photo saturates the resolution capability of the digital display. It'd be a lot simpler if the manufacturers were consistent in megapixel ratings. People are confused why a 1.3 megapixel (all 3 RGB normally counted together, except in this case of ViewSonic) digital projector needs a 4-5 megapixel digital photo (R, G, B normally counted separately for digital cameras) in order to maximize the sharpness of the image. It is also why shrinking image sizes of a digital camera image always makes them look sharper per square inch of monitor space -- because of the interpolation done to fill in the missing color components for each digital camera pixel (which is only one primary color at each point of the CCD).

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Rejhon
They are real.

It is exceptable to call the effective resolution of a CCD imager to be 1/2 the total number of pixels if the imager has the 2:1:1 green:red:blue ratio. This is the same rationale used when we call DVD resolution 720X480 when in fact only the Y channel (mostly green) has the 720X480 resolution and the color channels are only 360X240.

With the D-ila at 1.4 million pixels, a 2.8 megapixel camera (with its 1.4 million green pixels) SHOULD be able to satisfy the D-ila.

Now ofcoarse optics, etc. come into play so you might need the better optics in the higher megapixel cameras to truely come to the point ofdiminishing returns.

-Mr. Wigggles

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.