1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Via Sony pres release:

512MB RAM

128MB VRAM

support for Facebook, Skype, Foursquare (What?) and Twitter.

I guess those rumors of RAM downgrades were wrong (as are most internet rumors).

·
Registered
12,210 Posts
That's pretty good actually.

And yes, internet rumors of a downgrade for something unreleased and still in development were too ridiculous to take seriously from the start.

·
Registered
7,961 Posts
The hardware seems great, but this close to launch we're still not seeing any software that utilizes it. Hopefully TGS willl change that. Sexy hardware, though.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman /forum/post/20832052

The hardware seems great, but this close to launch we're still not seeing any software that utilizes it. Hopefully TGS willl change that. Sexy hardware, though.

So you have ran the Vita games through a profiler? Cool!

The 512MB RAM is not all for games necessarily, the OS will sit in the background to support chat and other apps most likely.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I don't know, most phones coming out now have 1gb of ram, seems strange that they'd skimp on the ram when they have 4 cpu's to feed, though that's similar to what they did on the ps3. Seems like for something that's not going to release for 4-6 months, they'd want to be at least on par with what other handhelds are shipping with, though it may not matter as it's more than the ps3 and they're aiming for similar to slightly less IQ. Also, I'm surprised they didn't go with 384mb and 256mb to allow for 720p with AA. If they're not having trouble with the 256/256 split on the ps3, seems like 384/256 would give breathing room in both spaces...

·
Registered
12,210 Posts
"Skimping" RAM was a random internet rumor we now see was false. Kinda funny that another random PS3 rumor was also shot down recently when the last firmware added lossless audio to 3D Blu-ray movies. We were told by rumor-mongers that there was not enough bandwith to do it using HDMI 1.3, and it turns out they were wrong then as well.

Sony's new portable makes use of more RAM than all platforms (including the trhree consoles) except the PC, and it is on a portable. Pretty much all of the current smart phones allocate a max of 128 MB of RAM for less for games and other dloaded applications, the rest of the RAM being used for instant access to their "normal" multitasking phone functions.

The PSV is a games-first machine, which is not true for smart phones. As a result, it's no surprise that the Vita's tech prowess so easily stands out.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobzdar /forum/post/20833238

I don't know, most phones coming out now have 1gb of ram, seems strange that they'd skimp on the ram when they have 4 cpu's to feed, though that's similar to what they did on the ps3. Seems like for something that's not going to release for 4-6 months, they'd want to be at least on par with what other handhelds are shipping with,

It is a console, not handheld computer like an Android phone. It also cost $249 not $599. It has a quad core A9 CPU, twice the cores of current phones.

Quote:
though it may not matter as it's more than the ps3 and they're aiming for similar to slightly less IQ. Also, I'm surprised they didn't go with 384mb and 256mb to allow for 720p with AA. If they're not having trouble with the 256/256 split on the ps3, seems like 384/256 would give breathing room in both spaces...

720P with AA, WTF? It has a fixed screen resolution of 960 × 544. That's 57% the number of pixels to process of 720P.

It's going to be the best looking handheld electronics device on the market for a while, but it also has to be relatively cheap at launch.

·
Registered
7,961 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgable /forum/post/20832948

So you have ran the Vita games through a profiler? Cool!

The 512MB RAM is not all for games necessarily, the OS will sit in the background to support chat and other apps most likely.

Guess I wasn't terribly clear. I wasn't referring to RAM numbers. I was talking more about things like the double-sided touch screen, PS3-to-Vita connectivity, digital download focus, and so on.

For example, the double-sided touch interface is arguably the most promising and unique hardware feature, and only one game I've seen so far does anything that justifies it (Little Deviants). We have yet to see much more than a promise of cross-platform connectivity with Wipeout 2046; the same goes for Ruin and cross-platform saves. Lots of hardware features, but no developers seem to know what to do with it (or can't afford to bother). And if Sony's own first parties can't figure it out and lead the way, who will?

Like with the PS3 (and more recently the 3DS), the software may take a while to catch up. But by then, will it make much difference?

·
Registered
2,295 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman /forum/post/20833463

The double-sided touch interface is arguably the most promising and unique hardware feature, and only one game I've seen so far does anything that justifies it.

I assume you're referring to Little Deviants? I've also seen footage of Modnation Racers (in create mode), that uses the back touchpad.

I like the cross-platform online play, but could do without cross platform saves. I would much rather have video out and dualshock connectivity. Since the PSPgo had both these features, obviously the Vita could as well -- but it would make Ruin's unique feature less useful. Displaying the PSP's output on TV looked pretty bad, but with the Vita it would probably exceed PS2 output. I love gaming in HD, but I probably wouldn't buy both versions if I didn't need too.

On a side note, I notice that there are 128GB sdxc class 10 cards available now. They cost $200, but it would be worth it too me for the convenience of not having to swap out memory cards. I know I sound like a broken record, but it is so disappointing that Sony has gone the proprietary route in this regard.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ya, software and creative uses for it always lag, and sometimes never get used. Look at Kinect, a bunch of limb waving games.

·
Registered
7,961 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikazaru /forum/post/20833497

I assume you're referring to Little Deviants? I've also seen footage of Modnation Racers (in create mode), that uses the back touchpad.

Other games use it, too (LBP, Ruin, and others). But IMO none of them make it seem necessary. Only Little Deviants makes it seem like an integral part of the game design. Also, the fact that you were able to guess which game I meant should tell you something.

I don't know. It's almost like Sony's own first parties are acting like third party developers did with the Wii in its first year. Those developers would just add some obligatory waggle feature or pointing feature to pay lip service to the controller. But at least Nintendo themselves led the way in showing how to design games with the controller in mind. Hell, the pack-in launch title Wii Sports is still the gold standard for how to design a game with the Wii controller in mind. Sony's developers haven't done that for Vita.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
I sometimes wonder if the Vita has too many control schemes: front touch, rear touch, motion sensing, plus dual joysticks? Considering how few PS3 games use the SixAxis motion sensors, it's going to be really hard to make use of even more inputs.

I think the rear-touch interface is something smartphones could really benefit from, as a way of interacting with the screen without obscuring it with your hand, so I expect it to appear in other devices soon. Its usefulness for gaming is less clear to me.

That said, I figure I will probably buy a Vita. I've never purchased a handheld before, but this one just looks really cool.

·
Registered
7,961 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedSeattle /forum/post/20833896

I sometimes wonder if the Vita has too many control schemes: front touch, rear touch, motion sensing, plus dual joysticks?

You forgot "front- and back-facing cameras."

Sony might argue that they don't intend for any single game to use all of those methods; they only want to give developers more options. But my response would be: then why bother? I get that it's a nice piece of hardware. But more features does not mean more creativity. I have a sneaking suspicion that over time, most games will either just use the standard dual-sticks or a simpler iOS-style touch interface (where both screens are interchangeable).

Just seems like massively wasted resources to me to add all that other stuff that no developers or gamers will actually use.

The fact that Sony is now releasing a budget version of the PSP without wi-fi, that Nintendo is releasing a budget version of the Wii without BC, and that Sony has already axed a bunch of features from the PS3 seems to show a trend: launch an expensive console with a bunch of selling points for early adopters, let consumers do your R&D work for you, and then cut those features that those consumers don't use. It's the hardware version of patching games after release. Seems to be spreading across all facets of the gaming industry.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.