AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am researching all the options on projectors. I'm not quite ready to purchase, but it's difficult to avoid researching since it is so much fun and I can't wait to purchase my first projector. I'm sure the question has been posed before, but here goes:

Is it better to go with a newer model budget projector (ie. Epson 8350) or a 2-3 year old middle of the road used projector (ie. Sony VPL-VW60/JVC DLA-RS1) if cost is very similar?

As for my setup, I have a fully light controlled room. 15x10. 100-110" screen. Flexible with projector placement. Projector budget is $1000-$1500.

Thanks.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I'd avoid used. The technology is improving and the prices dropping too fast. Combine with the prices of bulbs and the fact that used projectors already have partially used-up bulbs.

Discontinued but new closeouts are where the real bargains are. 720p projectors like the HD65 (rebadged as the HD700x) can come in well below your budget ($400 brand new-on very fleeting occasions) if you look around for the closeout sales.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
1) Yes an no. I wouldn't and usually don't recommend people to buy 2nd hand units, as yes, you'll be buying a unit with a 'used' bulb as well. I never advice buyers to believe a seller's quote of bulb hours either. A pessimistic approach is to buy a new bulb when you get a 2nd hand projector, just in case. However, then you might as well get a new projector and start with a clean slate. That's just my advice.

2) I wouldn't totally agree about buying discontinued projectors, as yes they can be had for bargain deals, but sometimes this may cause annoyance in the future as if the projector does break down in a year or two you are at risk of the manufacturer saying since it's a discontinued model it has become obsolete and therefore there are no more parts for repair. Sometimes this is not true but it's what they tell you so you opt buying a new model instead. But then you can argue, the savings of buying an obsolete model overcompensates the loss of when you aren't able to repair your projector, so it's really up to you hah. Hope that helps a bit!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.