AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 274 Posts

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope.....things got real slow, and a wee bit sideways. But, they (Craig and company) just rolled out their new WAF-1s. My understanding is subs are in the works, too.

·
Banned
11,550 Posts
Graphic Guy - Thanks for the props. It will take some time, but as more people get a chance to hear these Danny Richie designed little gems, it is probable the term "cheap" will be replaced with "value".

Danny and our OEM did a terrific job of combining a furniture quality cabinet, high quality drivers and a well designed crossover which will allow an audiophile on a budget the opportunity to get a real wood finish speaker with excellent neutrality and dynamics at affordable prices.

The first purchasers are voicing their thoughts, and so far, it is positive.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigsub /forum/post/17018384

Matt has a rather dry sense of humour.

Nooooo.... no way NOT Matt.

BTW, congrats on the new toys Craig! I look forward to seeing/hearing them sometime.

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigsub /forum/post/17016549

Graphic Guy - Thanks for the props. It will take some time, but as more people get a chance to hear these Danny Richie designed little gems, it is probable the term "cheap" will be replaced with "value".

Danny and our OEM did a terrific job of combining a furniture quality cabinet, high quality drivers and a well designed crossover which will allow an audiophile on a budget the opportunity to get a real wood finish speaker with excellent neutrality and dynamics at affordable prices.

The first purchasers are voicing their thoughts, and so far, it is positive.

Thanks again.

Hey Craig....glad to see these puppies hit the street. May be using these gems for a 2nd HT room. $600 for 6 speakers of this caliber, great looking, even better sounding, well....that got my attention.

Success to you and TCA for "birthing" your speakers. Now, about those subs.......

·
Premium Member
3,669 Posts
Updated pics:

Link

Mike

·
Registered
26,476 Posts
Can someone post the specs and measurements of the WAF-1? when they were first talked about oh....LAST YEAR I was interested because their price point was very good.

I think I was on a pre-order list for the Scamp 10 and original measurements look great but that was a long time ago too. Its great they have something on the street now.

·
Premium Member
3,669 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray /forum/post/17054007

Can someone post the specs and measurements of the WAF-1, when they were first talked about oh....LAST YEAR I was interested because their price point was very good.
Link - Announcement of for sale and links

Link = TCA Store site with specs

(the site can be kind of slow to upload for some reason)

"$229 / pair - delivered in the continental United States
Special Gizmo v1.0M / pair of WAF-1 Package

For a limited time, we are offering a package of a Gizmo v1.0M AND a pair of WAF-1s for $309.00 delivered (in the continental United States). Regular pricing for the Gizmo V1.0M is $119.00 and a pair of WAF-1s is $229.00. "

----------------------------

Specifications

System: Two-way, direct-radiating system, vented enclosure with rear port

Finishes: Rosewood (wood veneer)

Drivers:

Tweeter = .787 inch (20mm) dome tweeter

Woofer = 5.25 inch (133.35 mm) doped paper cone woofer

Crossover point between tweeter and woofer 2000Hz

Frequency Response:

Port Open: 50Hz - 20kHz, +/- 3db from 65Hz to 18kHz

Port can be sealed for wall mounting; will work with 80Hz crossover point

Impedance: 8 Ohms nominal

Efficiency: 86dB (@ 1 watt / 1 meter)

Grill: Recessed; removable

Cabinet: MDF

Dimensions: 10.5" H x 7" W x 10" D (approx.)

Weight: 11 lbs each

Shipping Weight: 26 lbs. per pair

Additional Information:

Video Shielding: No (matters only for CRT/tube TV's)

Mike

·
Registered
1,130 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graphicguy /forum/post/17015018

Nope.....things got real slow, and a wee bit sideways. But, they (Craig and company) just rolled out their new WAF-1s. My understanding is subs are in the works, too.

How do these compare to the X-LS models that AV123 used to sell?

·
Premium Member
3,669 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlipschHead281 /forum/post/17055196

How do these compare to the X-LS models that AV123 used to sell?

Craig may (or may not) have compared them and would be able to answer.

Mark (mfeust @ TCA) posted here that he was going to compare the following:

- TCA WAF-1
- av123 X-SLS (1st)
- av123 Ref .5 (later after unearthing them from storage)

I think he got his WAF-1's on 8/22/09, so he hasn't written up a comparison yet.

Mike

·
Registered
1,130 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_WI /forum/post/17055480

Craig may (or may not) have compared them and would be able to answer.

Mark (mfeust @ TCA) posted here that he was going to compare the following:

- TCA WAF-1
- av123 X-SLS (1st)
- av123 Ref .5 (later after unearthing them from storage)

I think he got his WAF-1's on 8/22/09, so he hasn't written up a comparison yet.

Mike

Thanks, one last thing, is it my eyes or do the drivers look like regular paper cones in the pictures in this thread but they look like composite on the TCA website? Was there a switch to a different supplier?

·
Premium Member
3,669 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlipschHead281 /forum/post/17055534

Thanks, one last thing, is it my eyes or do the drivers look like regular paper cones in the pictures in this thread but they look like composite on the TCA website? Was there a switch to a different supplier?

The drivers changed.

Post #13 above has the new drivers (I'm told).

I'm ordering the Gizmo v1.0M/WAF-1 combo now, so I'll have them soon.

I really don't need them, but I think I have a good use for them.

I'm on the board of directors for a charity and will use them as a donation for an upcoming event.

Mike

PS - I think more "professional" photos will be coming soon and a site update.

BTW - I have no affiliation with TCA. I've just been on the TCA forum for a while following things.

·
Banned
11,550 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlipschHead281 /forum/post/17055534

The carbon drivers looked cool, but sounded terrible. The drivers as we finished them measure and sound great - in fact, the measured out at +/- 2 dB from 68 to 18,000 Hz, and +/- 3 dB from 65 to 20,000.

1 - 20 of 274 Posts