AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 943 Posts

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw four at my Walmart today. I bought all four(just kidding).

Features: On Box

$198 price

80 GB HDD

SDTV Tuner

Funai made

Records to DVD+R/RW and DVD-R/RW( 2x to 16x)

Component out

S-Video in and out

Simple editing of commercials and scenes(That would be good!)

Watch a recording that has already started

I would bet that the "W" in the model number stands for Walmart and that this was specially made to be sold at Walmarts. Be interesting to see how it tests out. I wondered why the box did not say ATSC tuner?- I thought all new models produced after March 1st had to have an ATSC tuner.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabjxo /forum/post/11851208

They usually only have an "SDTV" symbol on them nowadays, I think.

You are correct sir- I just confirmed that this HDD unit has an ATSC tuner. Also the box said that the unit I looked at was #35 of 48 shipped to the Houston suburb distribution facility in Sealy TX. This unit is the least expensive atsc tuner equipped unit with a HDD yet, AFAIK. We will see how it tests out-good, bad or ugly.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Additional info on this unit: (Walmart clerk had an extra manual- I was amazed he said I could borrow it.- I definitely will return it as he was so gracious to do this.) At the time of this original post I had not had a chance to start perusing it- more will follow.

DVD-RW/-R is recorded to DVD+VR AUTOMATICALLY in this unit.

Does Do High speed dubs from HDD to DVD.

You cannot HS dub from DVD to HDD.

Has Auto-calculates space available-(flex record) from HDD to DVD- not direct to DVD it appears.

This unit has chase playback from HDD AND you can record a different title and playback a previously recorded title on HDD simultaneously.

Manual says it also plays back DVD-video, CD-DA,Video CD, CD-RW/-R

Audio- Coaxial- no optic.

Fan on back.

You can easily switch from NTSC(analog) to ATSC digital with remote by pressing DTV/TV button.

Record speeds- HQ(60 min),SP(120)SPP(150)LP(180)Ep(240)SLP(360)

DVD-RW recorded in a mode other than +VR is not recordable on this unit UNLESS you erase all contents on the disc.

DVD-R recorded in a mode other than +VR is not recordable on this unit.

Video recording format: 13.5 Mhz

Compression format: mpeg2

Audio recording format: sampling frequency- 48 kHz- compression format Dolby digital.

No DV input on this device. Must use s-video on front panel or back for your camcorder.

Now -the manual will not tell you how good the recording quality will be at HQ and SP and SPP or how user friendly the interface is. Pio 531HDD and series and the 2006 640 HDD set the standards. Only users of this new model can decide in their trials.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Another hard drive DVD recorder? Hopefully Magnavox won't get busted by the MPAA. Or the black helicopters won't swoop down upon Walmart and confiscate these illegal DVD recorders.

I think the most telling aspect of this new model is the $198 price point. This is a level where the Japanese would choose not to compete.

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
Does it always record a HD signal in widescreen mode, or can you choose a "side crop" or "pan and scan" mode to record just the center portion, to get rid of the blank side panels on upconverted SD material?

·
Registered
254 Posts
great to see, I was just going to get the last Philips DVDR3575H tonight from my local walmart. Not sure what to do now, the Philips had some issues, wander what will be wrong with this one.

Jay

·
Registered
254 Posts
great to see, I was just going to get the last Philips DVDR3575H tonight from my local walmart. Not sure what to do now, the Philips had some issues, wander what will be wrong with this one.

Jay

·
Registered
13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonGuy /forum/post/11851922

You are correct sir- I just confirmed that this HDD unit has an ATSC tuner. Also the box said that the unit I looked at was #35 of 48 shipped to the Houston suburb distribution facility in Sealy TX. This unit is the least expensive atsc tuner equipped unit with a HDD yet, AFAIK. We will see how it tests out-good, bad or ugly.

Does it pass the real HDTV or just downconverted signal through the component out? Thank you.

·
Registered
877 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emillion /forum/post/11855799

Does it pass the real HDTV or just downconverted signal through the component out? Thank you.

It has an ATSC tuner that is marketed as an SDTV tuner... So the answer likely is no.

James

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
It sounds like a repackaged version of the Philips 3575 (also made by Funai), except with a smaller HDD and a few connectors deleted to save money. I would expect it to have the same features and capabilities - and limitations and bugs. For $100 more I would still buy the Philips for:

- Bigger HDD and more connectors

- Better support from Philips

- More product knowledge in the user community

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by amesdp /forum/post/11856489

It sounds like a repackaged version of the Philips 3575 (also made by Funai), except with a smaller HDD and a few connectors deleted to save money. I would expect it to have the same features and capabilities - and limitations and bugs. For $100 more I would still buy the Philips for:

- Bigger HDD and more connectors

- Better support from Philips

- More product knowledge in the user community

I think it is way too premature to assume that it has the same bugs/limitations as the Philips and every new product has limited product knowledge. Users will tell as they have on every new DVDR since 2003. Furthermore with the limited HDD units available with ATSC tuners, how can one not afford to give this unit a trial? Another point- $100 may not be much to you but for some it is. An 80 GB HDD is not shabby. If you maintain and are efficient with your usage it is certainly sufficient.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonGuy /forum/post/11862310

An 80 GB HDD is not shabby.

Yes, it is too shabby. The only reason anybody would be using an 80 Gbyte HDD these days is because they are trying to wring every last penny of costs out of the unit (did someone guess that this was a special model for Walmart?). I'd be thinking "Where else did they cut corners?".

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by amesdp /forum/post/11862752

Yes, it is too shabby. The only reason anybody would be using an 80 Gbyte HDD these days is because they are trying to wring every last penny of costs out of the unit (did someone guess that this was a special model for Walmart?). I'd be thinking "Where else did they cut corners?".

It's freaking under $200 dude and one of the few around. You don't even have the manual yet spew misinformation. Why don't you buy one and come back to us without the BS? I think because you are trying to justify your more expensive Philips purchase. Listen fellow- I and many others still have the original Panny E-80 which was 80 GB- still working and is one of the best and most sold ever. 80 gigs is enough if you take advantage of DVD+/-RW etc discs. I also have the Panny E-55 which has 200GB so I know. I can tell you are new to this stuff. And there is some support for 80 Gb Pannys- check this link out, swifty.
http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-978...?tag=cnetfd.mt

·
Registered
223 Posts
There is now a 4-6 week wait at Amazon for the Philips DVDR3575H/37. That has been the situation for a week. If there aren't any these Philips in the pipeline or at the warehouse, Wal-Mart can't sell them. I don't know of any announcement by Philips that they discontinued this model. Maybe Philips got tired of all the returns and is looking for another Chinese manufacturer with better quality control to sell Philips HDD DVD recorders that it can rebadge.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I bet this will be on sale fairly soon..

Really can't beat it especially, with both analog and digital tuners plus a hard drive.. I might have to buy one, when on sale, not that I need one.. My Emerson LCD TV is made by Funai and it's great..

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I have a question about these Funai recorders (I have a Funai made PY90DG), the finalized dvds, when played in a standalone player, can't scan in reverse at all, and forward only at 2x max, any faster and the player freezes up, also no a-b repeat, etc. The discs have all functions when played in the recorder itself. Has anyone else experienced this?

·
Registered
1,067 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonGuy /forum/post/11862904

I and many others still have the original Panny E-80 which was 80 GB- still working and is one of the best and most sold ever. 80 gigs is enough if you take advantage of DVD+/-RW etc discs.

I didn't say that 80 Gbytes wasn't enough if you manage your space carefully, nor would I question that the older Panasonic recorder with 80 Gbyte HDD is a fine machine - for its time. I am saying that a new recorder introduced with an 80 Gbyte drive now, in late 2007, is excessively cheap. It might be better for them to just sell it without the HDD and let you buy your own larger drive, as some other suppliers have done.

1 - 20 of 943 Posts