AVS Forum banner

81 - 100 of 943 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks Ames. I'm going to give this Magnavox a tryout since I mainly need a DVDR to convert my old VHS tapes to DVD. Any picture quality difference, if it exists, likely won't impact me since I have a Tivo HD for HD time-shifting. I actually bought a Philips 3575 in July but returned it unopened after I heard about the Tivo HD. Since then I've been keeping an eye on DVDR prices, preferring a hard drive, but unable to justify spending the $300 on the Philips after paying for Tivo. For $100 less this Magnavox may be a good compromise for me.

·
Registered
949 Posts
I am curious if anyone who has a Philips DVDR3575H has purchased a Magnavox H2080MW8. I have the Philips in the family room, but I could be tempted to pick up the Magnavox for the bedroom. The main reason would be to record a program on the rare occasion when there are 2 programs on at the same time that I would like to record.

If anyone has both, I would be curious whether the Philips remote can control the Magnavox. I would consider that an advantage since I am sure I would push the wrong key, a lot, if I tried to use 2 different remotes when doing edits.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
I picked up the Magnavox yesterday at a super Walmart that had two in stock. I played around with it a bit - not bad. I'm a bit confused on how it assigns digital channels. My 3 other digital tuner devices assign digital channels the same way but the Magnavox seems to use a different strategy.

As fas as under the hood. It has a Western Digital HDD. It does not look like it is replaceable. I tried installing a WD 160GB HDD and although the machine booted fine when I tried to record I got a pop up saying it was not possible to record to the HDD. Same thing for a 500GB Seagate drive.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Does that thing have a format or erase drive option? might also be worthwhile to try formatting it in fat32 and NTFS to see if that has any effect on it working.

I think all the Philips has is format and erase, don't remember right now for sure, I know it doesn't have defrag.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
When I had a different drive installed the machine did not allow me to get into any of the setup menus that affect the HDD. For example delete all "HDD Menu" was grayed out. Like I said it is still early though. I think the 160GB WD drive was formatted NTSF. The Seagate was new out of the box.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Well try fat32 format for the new drive and see what happens, also try the drive outa the machine in your test pc and see what it does, might tell you what format it is and all if it can be read.

Guess I'm glad I never broke the seal on the warranty sticker for my Philips at this rate

·
Registered
14,210 Posts
Could the Philips/Magnavox HDDs use UDF file format??? based on reading this Wiki article that states:

"Philips' DVD+VR format uses UDF 1.02 with an ISO 9660 bridge for DVD+R and DVD+RW."

The article talks mostly about rewriteable RW media but says "UDF is gaining popularity on non-optical media that mainly need to be exchangeable, such as Iomega REV discs, large flash media, and even on hard disk drives." ???

It also has some very interesting tidbits on RW rewriteability, UDF "Flavors" (and problems with), and DVD Player Compatibility.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
I was just trying to check the potential flexibility of swapping HDDs. The most flexible to date seems to be the Polaroid 2001G which is also a +VR machine. I think with the Magnavox there is something in the firmware that may not allow it. When you boot up the machine with a different drive it does not go into format mode which some other +VR machines seem to do. Or as with some other machines you can format the drive once the machine boots.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Well I'm going to go out on a limb here. But I'm going to preface my comment on the fact that is still a bit premature.

The Magnavox QAM tuner blows away the QAM tuner in both my Panny EZ17 and EZ47. And in my opinion offers probably the best downrez'd HD to SD I have seen.

One of the things that is obvious when watching a downrez'd image from an HD source when watching football is the fact that the 5 yard white line markers that cross the field tend to "swim" at times. They become wavy and less defined than they should be. With the Magnavox the white yard lines are rock solid. And the fans in the stands appear more precise. They don't turn into a pile of mush that I've noticed with other downrez'd sporting events. Sporting events are tough when downrez'd and then shown on an HD display. At least with my setup. The Magnavox is of course not HD quality but a marked improvement over the EZ17 and EZ47. I have no idea what Philips is doing but the improvement is extremely noticeable.

Again very preliminary but definitely a good sign. My HDTV is a Philips LCD.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Sounds good, try formatting the bigger drive to fat32 or UDF 1.02 like waxjbo suggested and see if it works.

I need to RMA my 3575 and if this one can use a bigger drive might be worth buying just to tide me over till it gets back in a few months. I really don't want to send it off but the tuner looses QAM faster and faster it seems lately and I loose programs on timer recordings, even if it was last left on a working digital channel. Sounds like so far at least this unit doesn't forget QAM channels.

·
Registered
14,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartman /forum/post/11971391

Sounds good, try formatting the bigger drive to fat32 or UDF 1.02 like waxjbo suggested and see if it works.

I need to RMA my 3575 and if this one can use a bigger drive might be worth buying just to tide me over till it gets back in a few months. I really don't want to send it off but the tuner looses QAM faster and faster it seems lately and I loose programs on timer recordings, even if it was last left on a working digital channel. Sounds like so far at least this unit doesn't forget QAM channels.

Your 3575 tuner must be bad, or it's something in your feed, cuz my one unit that loses the "bonus" digital channels I get in my analog cable feed if I surf thru them really fast NEVER fails to show the last digital channel when first turned on or when doing a timer rec.

It would be really interesting if you got the new Magnavox and, in the same system environment, it either does the same or is rock solid! That would at least show if the Magnavox has an updated tuner (like 3575 replacement models)?

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Well it seems every unit has different quircks, what works for you almost never works for me, I tried it. My first one wouldn't scan past 119 so it went back, this one did, then promptly forgot all the QAM channels when I shut it down for the night.

I was waiting because they promised a fw update to fix the problem, then woosed out. Tempted to just try my luck at wally world on another one, I did buy the extended warranty through them. Also tempted to just buy a maggy like you said but spent plenty of money this month on toys allready....hmmmm...

·
Registered
14,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextoo /forum/post/11971317

The Magnavox is of course not HD quality but a marked improvement over the EZ17 and EZ47. I have no idea what Philips is doing but the improvement is extremely noticeable.

I would like to know also since I keep marveling at the Philips 3575's excellent PQ in recordings at even the longer reec modes...been wondering if they've perfected a new algorithm or something like that???

·
Registered
846 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartman /forum/post/11971391

Not sure where you're at in Oregon , but I just checked the WoodVillage Walmart and no Magnovox recorder with Hard Drive. I tried to get the guy to check his computer, but he didnt' seem to be too interested, said if they didn't have a sign for it on the shelf, they wouldnt be getting any in.

And since I havent seen in on the the WalMart.com site, doesnt look like I'll be able to pick one up. I'll have to check some other sources around here.

So far the Philips seems to be holding, only been a few days, but no problems with dropping digital channels yet. I have it connected to an Outside antenna for digital OTA, I have a dish connected via component to E1.

Oh, looks like build date (or pack date) is July 07.

You don't happen to have a Pioneer_Service disk do you? I'm trying to resurrect a PIO 531 that got corrupted hard drive. Only way to record is by pressing record on the run button. No timer settings menu avialable anymore.

Rick

·
Registered
119 Posts
would be nice if the manufacturers made the DVRs w/ atsc tuners but no hard drive. they would just have to provide a formatting system onboard, or just make it use standard pc formating. seems that this could reduce their production costs and give the consumer more options, and a lower price for the initial unit.

of course, how many average ppl would be willing, or able, to install their own hard drive!

·
Registered
3,073 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabjxo /forum/post/11973538

I would like to know also since I keep marveling at the Philips 3575's excellent PQ in recordings at even the longer reec modes...been wondering if they've perfected a new algorithm or something like that???

I'm not sure. But the downrez'd PQ is very very good. And with sporting events which usually suffer when downrez'd because of motion and the small detail. As I mentioned much better than what I am seeing with two Panny EZ models I have.

I'm sure both the Philips 3575 and the Magnavox are using the same tuner. I'm impressed.

For my intended use the Magnavox is a keeper. I wanted something that could be used for chase play when my cableco HD STB was busy doing something else. I can of course tell the difference in PQ when right on top of the display when comparing it to HD. But when at a normal viewing distance (12-15ft on my case) the Magnavox is stunning. But the key again is the exceptional PQ with sporting events. I keep toggling between the HDTV tuner input and the Magnavox input and continue to be surprised.

I've had great success recording downrez'd HD from my HD STB to a DVD recorder. But this has mostly been movies that do not offer the difficulties sporting events present. Philips/Magnavox/Funai have definitely figured something out. Unless for some crazy reason it is something specific with my setup. And others may not see it. Regardless. I'm not complaining.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
My unit is one of the first 3 the Wood village Walmart got as far as the 3575 and is a April build, I'm in midcounty portland area so pretty close to Wood Village and probably you as well. Used to live there when I was a teen as a matter of fact. I also looked at the Walmart on Holgate area, no go, haven't looked at the one out by Sandy boulevard yet, and some of the Washington state ones on the border may have them. Played the same game while waiting for the 3575 to show up, I all ready tried the Polaroid 0160 and it's tuner was unstable so it went back after trying 3 units.

·
Registered
17,223 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextoo /forum/post/11971317

The Magnavox QAM tuner blows away the QAM tuner in both my Panny EZ17 and EZ47. And in my opinion offers probably the best downrez'd HD to SD I have seen.

Well, that's two definite "For's" so far.

Wednesday the new Super Walmart opens - I'll definitely be there for the grand opening to check if they have it.

Keep us posted with your reviews.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Can someone who has this unit post the Wal-Mart SKU number please? My local Wal-Mart did not have the unit and when I asked him to check other stores in the computer, he looked for the SKU on walmart.com (didn't find it) and told me he could only check other store inventory with the SKU number.

Thanks in advance!

81 - 100 of 943 Posts