AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Yea it really is a great calculator. The only critique I might offer is the screen size could use arrows on the screen size slider to make it easier to set to the exact screen size. Kinda hard to just slide it with the mouse and get it just right. Almost impossible on a mobile device.

·
Registered
15,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Yea it really is a great calculator. The only critique I might offer is the screen size could use arrows on the screen size slider to make it easier to set to the exact screen size. Kinda hard to just slide it with the mouse and get it just right. Almost impossible on a mobile device.
I agree with that critique. I am using pre-built sliders but may change it to my own when i have time...
There are sliders with arrows but it didnt match the look, so I will see what I can do.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi Coderguy,

I'm selecting home projector and I'm using webprojectorcalculator to determine which one is the better choice for me.
When I choose Sony VW885ES on 161 inc diagonal 1.3 Gain and 6.1m throw distance it looks very good based on Webprojectorcalculator. ( 21.4 FL with 1200 Lumens calibrated Low) but
on projector central Pro calculator the results are very different and poor brightness (14 FL does not show output lumens).
So my question is what source can I trust? The question is really important for me, will appreciate for your comments:))

·
Registered
15,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
Hi Coderguy,

I'm selecting home projector and I'm using webprojectorcalculator to determine which one is the better choice for me.
When I choose Sony VW885ES on 161 inc diagonal 1.3 Gain and 6.1m throw distance it looks very good based on Webprojectorcalculator. ( 21.4 FL with 1200 Lumens calibrated Low) but
on projector central Pro calculator the results are very different and poor brightness (14 FL does not show output lumens).
So my question is what source can I trust? The question is really important for me, will appreciate for your comments:))
I am not sure about LOW LASER Mode, the 1200 was an estimate based on 1600 being HIGH mode at mid-zoom. I am pretty sure about 1500-1600 in HIGH though.

I've seen 2 users post around 1600 lumens, my calculator might be slightly high, but you should get at least 18 fL minimum I would think...

In the thread below, it says that Ekki @ Cine4 got 1600 lumens and another poster got 1800.

If you mount it at closest throw, you should get at least 1600 lumens, probably closer to 1700.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/86-ul...862-sony-vpl-vw885es-first-look-review-2.html

·
Registered
14 Posts
Ok, thanks. I can't understand only one thing, Pro calculator 14FL, what output they use with such number? Projector has 200+ Lumens, they cut to 700???
Previously I had 3 chip DLP Marantz with 1200 max and 1000 eco lamp but the screen was 133 inch with 0.6 gain gray Draper and the image was outstanding but only in HD.
Now with all these lasers and much power results are so poor, hm, don't understand.

·
Registered
15,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Projector Central's calculator has always been all over the map in a wild fashion.

All I know right now is that Ekii / Cine4, a reliable source, got 1600 lumens, but I believe that might have been closest throw (not sure as I entered these numbers a couple months ago).

I haven't seen many other reviewers post any measurements yet, once I see the other reviewers post theirs, I will update.

I really doubt you'd get only 700 lumens in Laser Low on this thing, but I cannot be 100% sure until we see other reviewers. I would think 1000-1200 in Laser LOW mode, and 1500-1600 in High from MId-zoom, or 1700-1750 at closest throw mid-zoom HIGH.

Keep in mind this PJ was measured at around 2100 lumens at closet throw in absolute torch mode...

·
Registered
15,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 · (Edited)
Just an update:

Will be adding all the missing Viewsonics and Viviteks shortly into a minor release (2.45.2), this to be done before the next major release.

Per the next Major Release (v2.5) - 3 Biggest Features Are:

User Reviews Being Added
I am adding a NEW unmentioned feature, REVIEWS... You'll be able to write a review on a given projector. Note that I will not be filtering the reviews at all, but they will be moderated to prevent ad spamming and any unruly posts.

User Profiles
User profiles will be the biggest improvement, you will be able to store your own measurements and watch how your lamp graph loses lumens over time. Eventually (if enough people enter measurements), we will be able to see all sorts of stats on the projector.

Seating Calculator
The first version of the seating calculator might be missing some functionality, but it should at least help you know certain things.

Features Planned Farther into the Future

Horizontal Lens Shift
I will be adding a Horizontal Lens Shift Slider that will automatically restrict your Vertical Shift in accordance to how much H-shift you use. Hence, I am going to keep this simple to use, so it will be a slider under the V-shift, you will just slide how many inches to the left or right of center.

I do not have an estimate to when Version 2.5 will be released yet. Hopefully within 2 months, but quite a lot of work left.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Features Planned Farther into the Future

Horizontal Lens Shift
I will be adding a Horizontal Lens Shift Slider that will automatically restrict your Vertical Shift in accordance to how much H-shift you use. Hence, I am going to keep this simple to use, so it will be a slider under the V-shift, you will just slide how many inches to the left or right of center.
Your projector calculator is great! The main addition I'd like to see is the horizontal lens shift slider. I've been referring other people that are looking at projectors to your site to compare different models. Thanks for all the effort you've put into this site.

·
Registered
290 Posts
@coderguy

I just noticed there is an error in how the calculator figures the amount of vertical lens shift for screens that aren't 16:9.

The amount of shift that a projector is given as a percent of the height of the 16:9 image projected (94% for the Epson 5040UB). Your calculator is using the actual screen height based on the aspect ratio of the screen.

So for a 120" wide image from the 5040UB:

For a 16:9 screen the image is 120" x 67". The amount of vertical lens shift is 94% of 67" which equals 63" plus or minus from the center of the screen. The projector can shift the image this much regardless of the screen's aspect ratio.

However, when you go with a 120" 2.39:1 screen - 120" x 50" the calculator says you can only shift the image 47" from the center of the screen (50" x .94).

The calculator is great, I hope you can get this fixed in the next revision!

·
Registered
15,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 · (Edited)
@coderguy

However, when you go with a 120" 2.39:1 screen - 120" x 50" the calculator says you can only shift the image 47" from the center of the screen (50" x .94).

The calculator is great, I hope you can get this fixed in the next revision!
What you are missing is that the calculator is calculating it for simultaneous use of 16:9 on the CIH screen using lens memory, rather than just calculating it for ONLY 2.35-2.40 use on the CIH screen. So the lens shift becomes limited by the constraints of how the 16:9 image relates to the CIH screen, not just the CIH image by itself. You are correct if you always use 2.39 mode and never switch back to 16:9, but in your example, the amount of lens shift fails with lens memory, because lens memory is more restrictive.

That is why the calculator calls it 2.35 (Lens Memory) rather than just 2.35, since lens memory means the ability to go back and forth between 16:9 and 2.35.
Since most people using the calculator would not understand all these details, I decided to remove the option of ONLY using 2.35 (non lens memory), because so few people are watching stuff only using 2.35 aspects, many people will end up shrinking back down to 16:9 for other movies.

Therefore, it's not incorrect, and also this has been checked by multiple engineers and dealers over time (not just me).

·
Registered
290 Posts
What you are missing is that the calculator is calculating it for simultaneous use of 16:9 on the CIH screen using lens memory, rather than just calculating it for ONLY 2.35-2.40 use on the CIH screen. So the lens shift becomes limited by the constraints of how the 16:9 image relates to the CIH screen, not just the CIH image by itself. You are correct if you always use 2.39 mode and never switch back to 16:9, but in your example, the amount of lens shift fails with lens memory, because lens memory is more restrictive.

That is why the calculator calls it 2.35 (Lens Memory) rather than just 2.35, since lens memory means the ability to go back and forth between 16:9 and 2.35.
Since most people using the calculator would not understand all these details, I decided to remove the option of ONLY using 2.35 (non lens memory), because so few people are watching stuff only using 2.35 aspects, many people will end up shrinking back down to 16:9 for other movies.

Therefore, it's not incorrect, and also this has been checked by multiple engineers and dealers over time (not just me).

Ahh, yes you are correct! Thank you for the explanation. I should have remembered this from setting up my own screen. I was trying to help someone else in the 5040UB thread. Time to go back and make sure they get things set up correctly.

·
Registered
5,790 Posts
Hi, thanks for this tool. One question though, is 'Ceiling' vs 'Shelf' Mounting Location actually implemented? I'm playing with parameters for a Benq HT2050 and it seems to show only ceiling-mount values (projector/image inverted) even if I select 'Shelf'. I'd like to see what the results of different distances/screen heights from floor are, using 'shelf' ( projector/image not inverted).

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have a 120" 2.35 screen and an anamorphic lens on my projector. I noticed that when selecting the screen type, I can only choose 2.35 (lens memory) vs anamorphic lens. When I select lens memory, it reduces the ft-l from a 16:9 screen of the same size. This makes sense for lens memory, but is not correct for external lens. Without being able to select an external lens, I'm guessing the correct procedure would be to select a 110" 16:9 screen which has the same ft^2 as my 120" 2.35 screen. This won't include any losses from the lens, but I would think is close. Thoughts?

·
Registered
401 Posts
Hi,

Been using your web calculator to install my Optoma UHD50 on a 106 inches 16:9 screen . The calculator indicate that i need a 4 inch mounting pole and that the top of the screen should be 7 inches from the Ceiling and 2,7 feet from the floor with a lens offset of 0.1 inch.

I am using a perless PRG-UNV mount on the projector. Do i need to factor in the height of the peerless mount to find the proper mounting pole lenght in order to achieve 4 inches from the ceiling ?? Because if so i would have to attach the peerless directly to the ceiling so the projector fall 4 inches from ceiling otherwise the projected image is too low and i cannot get it to display 7 inches from top

Am i calculating this the right way

Alain

·
Registered
15,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Hi,

Been using your web calculator to install my Optoma UHD50 on a 106 inches 16:9 screen . The calculator indicate that i need a 4 inch mounting pole and that the top of the screen should be 7 inches from the Ceiling and 2,7 feet from the floor with a lens offset of 0.1 inch.

I am using a perless PRG-UNV mount on the projector. Do i need to factor in the height of the peerless mount to find the proper mounting pole lenght in order to achieve 4 inches from the ceiling ?? Because if so i would have to attach the peerless directly to the ceiling so the projector fall 4 inches from ceiling otherwise the projected image is too low and i cannot get it to display 7 inches from top

Am i calculating this the right way

Alain
When you cut it close, you have to take the measurements yourself, the calculator gives you a good general idea.
I would find out the thickness of the base plate of the mount and double check the Optoma manual to be safe.

You can test it out by placing the PJ on a ladder or tall shelf (very very carefully) before actually mounting it.

·
Registered
401 Posts
When you cut it close, you have to take the measurements yourself, the calculator gives you a good general idea.
I would find out the thickness of the base plate of the mount and double check the Optoma manual to be safe.

You can test it out by placing the PJ on a ladder or tall shelf (very very carefully) before actually mounting it.

Thanks a lot for the explanation

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Thx Coder!

Thanks, I will continue to improve it at the beginning of next year.
I have a question about screen gain...I assume we plug in tested gain not advertised? I have a Da-lite HP screen that I don't know the gain (either 2.4 or 2.8.....

21 - 40 of 42 Posts