AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have Abit KG7-Raid, 256mb DDR, ATI AIW 8500DV, Philips PSC703 (or Aureal Vortex SQ1500), DLink NIC, 2x 80gb WD 7200 (on Raid), 1x 60gb WD 7200...

I did a fresh install of XP Pro, installed the ATI drivers (GuidePlus threw an error and didn't install - any thoughts?) and well, first thing I noticed and maybe it's because of my lack of attention during install, but my local drive is E... this drove me nuts... second problem with the Philips card, I got no sound... DL'ed the latest drivers and the SP/DIF didn't work right (not like the Aureal). I put the Aureal back in and got it working, but when I went to use the MMC the machine locks up. Does it every time.

I remember reading somewhere that the Abit and the ATI have troubles - is that the case? What to do, what to do?

thanks.

·
Registered
301 Posts
When I installed XP pro, I made the mistake of leaving my soundcard in place. It caused all kinds of problems, so I pulled out as much hardware as I could and then installed XP on a wiped drive. Then, after reinstalling everything, it worked fine.

-David

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Hi Chuckb_jr:

___I already posted the possible troubles with VIA chipsets already but you are using very basic HW that can run fine with your board … The Aureal based chipsets no matter who they are made by cannot pass an AC-3 signal under 2000/XP that I know of yet. They (Aureal) were purchased by Creative after bankruptcy some time ago and all driver updates for them are at least a year and a half old. Even the MS created driver update for them doesn’t work for our uses (AC-3/DTS pass-thru) yet. As for the AIW …. Well, it is not a great choice to begin with given its poor stability (driver problems abound for many of its uses) under Win XP in particular. For the AIW issues, you can use the search function here or visit Rage3D’s own forums where some of the gaming wizards hang out. At least it’s a shot but there are a lot of problems with the AIW under XP as you have found out already …

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.

___ [email protected]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.