Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

I just bought a Yamaha HTR-5850 receiver and I'd like to use it's remote for everything. I have it set to control my Samsung dvd player, but I can't get it to control my Samsung 50" DLP television, or my Scientific Atlanta digital cable DVR box from Time Warner. Does anybody know how to get either of these programmed into the remote?

Another thing I can't figure out is how you set the TV remote codes anyway. Since there's not a TV button on the remote, what do I hit before hitting "Code Set" and typing in my code? The closest thing would be the DTV/CBL button, but that should be for my digital cable box.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a yamaha receiver as well, and the remote is great for controlling the receiver....but that's about it. I just purchased the Logitech Harmony 880 and it is a dream come true. I'm sure you could get one of their lower priced models and be just as happy with it. The yamaha remote is going to have a hard time controlling your cable box, and as far as changing the aspect ratio on your TV, you're probably really out of luck. My Yamaha (HTR-5760) has a button for TV, but I only used it for turning the TV on and off. I would try to find a universal remote that you are willing to spend the money one. I would highly suggest (so would most other people around here) looking at one of the Harmony models. It is really worth it in the end.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Little things like this is why I would never buy a receiver that didn’t come with a full learning remote, not just one with pre-programmed codes.

Don’t know what your budget for another remote is, but you might look into another Yamaha remote. For instance, the ones for older RX-V3200 and current RX-V3300 are great universal remotes, fully programmable. I recently picked up a RAV 227 (the one for the 3300) on eBay and I was able to program it to control my entire system, with the help of the RX-V3200 manual I downloaded (the 3300 manual isn’t available). Whatever controls you can’t get with the codes you can get by the learning function.

It’s very easy to use, very intuitive. My wife and teenage daughter like it.

A nifty feature the manual doesn’t tell you is that every button on the remote is programmable not just the ones they tell you are in the manual. Power buttons, input buttons, volume buttons – everything. This means it’ll work with any receiver or system.

Best of all was the price. I snagged mine a few weeks ago for a mere $50. If you’re interested there’s another one for sale on eBay right now – do a search on “yamaha rav 227†and it’ll come up.

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.