AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post here and first surround sound setup actually so I'm a total noob at setting these things up. I'm really just unsure about how crossover works for my sub and the setting it should be set to. The speakers that came with this setup have a frequency response of
Front and surrounds: 50 Hz-25 kHz (-10)
-45 kHz (-30)
Center: 70 Hz-25 kHz (-10)
-45 kHz (-30)

Sub: 30 Hz- 200 Hz

I know the crossover has something to do with where your speakers fall off? Not sure how this should be set for this generally. My crossover options go from 40, 60, 80, 90, 100, 110, 120, 160, 200

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Where did you find those utterly useless frequency response numbers? Not that it matters but all your speakers (save sub) have a single 2 3/4" cone. Your not gonna get a lot of midrange out of those (never mind bottom end) speakers. Crossover set to anything below 120hz would be pointless. Try the top three (120,160,200) and see what sounds best.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They were the only numbers that were on the paperwork for the speakers. I knew the speakers would be very low end and plan to upgrade everything. Thank you though.

·
Registered
16,669 Posts
For speakers that come with entry level systems, set your sub x-over at 100. That gives you a little boost and still gives the other speakers room for the higher end. Keep in mind that the lower frequencies require more power so if you drop the sub x-over to 80dB, that doesn't give the other speakers much power. Forget auto-calibration if you have that. Auto-cal is pretty much useless for speakers unless they are high end. You can achieve very nice presence if you experiment a bit. Do keep in mind that your listening environment will play a big part in what you hear so take carpets, curtains, floor coverings, etc in mind. Speaker specs are also derived in anechoic chambers which I'm sure your listening environment is not.

Speaker placement is also critical. The front sound stage (R/L) should be at ear height when sitting in the optimal position and your sides should be at the same height and a little behind you. The sub is placed where ever the "sub crawl" says it should be. Basically, you shouldn't be able to localize where the bass is coming from. However, as I said, your listening environment will play a major part in how it all sounds.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts